Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    No it doesn't. If the country ends up with an average amount of deaths, it suggests that those deaths would have occurred anyway. To have an average amount of deaths would be a very good outcome. The whole point of preventative measures is to keep excess deaths as low as possible, not to prevent them altogether. Otherwise we may as well lockdown every year for flu season or ban driving, drinking and smoking if an average amount of deaths is now unacceptable

huh... no :D:D:D

If you got a country with 80k deaths of all other causes AND you got a specific cause that IS 5k and that total will ALWAYS be 85K.

Now of course you could go and discern all the other deaths in the year and say cancer deaths where 10k or Aids deaths where 1k. Or deaths by the flu where 3k, or deaths by Hearth Disease where 15k... but that does not undercut that deaths by covid where 5k....

Now if in a normal year they have 90k deaths AND in this year they would have 80k deaths that means all other causes of death where reduced yearly by 10k.

Now if you add to that 5k deaths by Covid it still means 5k people died of covid and it means a grand total of 85k.

So no, those deaths WOULD NOT happen anyway, it means that other causes of death improved (which ones we don't know as we have no data) and still those 5k deaths add to that lower number.

What you are saying is against the simplest of maths. You are saying is you got 10 apples. You take 2 apples and someone gives you 2 bananas. What you're saying is that you still got 10 apples when in reality you got 8 apples and 2 bananas...

Is it that hard to understand this? xD

Oh, an before you say it they didn't die of covid. You realize it's the Swedish authorities reporting them as covid deaths right? It's not some convoluted conspiracy theory to make Sweden look bad. IT IS what they reported. You can't choose whatever you want to believe from Swedish sources to suit your narrative . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Vieira82 wrote: »
    huh... no :D:D:D

If you got a country with 80k deaths of all other causes AND you got a specific cause that IS 5k and that total will ALWAYS be 85K.

Now of course you could go and discern all the other deaths in the year and say cancer deaths where 10k or Aids deaths where 1k. Or deaths by the flu where 3k, or deaths by Hearth Disease where 15k... but that does not undercut that deaths by covid where 5k....

Now if in a normal year they have 90k deaths AND in this year they would have 80k deaths that means all other causes of death where reduced yearly by 10k.

Now if you add to that 5k deaths by Covid it still means 5k people died of covid and it means a grand total of 85k.

So no, those deaths WOULD NOT happen anyway, it means that other causes of death improved (which ones we don't know as we have no data) and still those 5k deaths add to that lower number.

What you are saying is against the simplest of maths. You are saying is you got 10 apples. You take 2 apples and someone gives you 2 bananas. What you're saying is that you still got 10 apples when in reality you got 8 apples and 2 bananas...

Is it that hard to understand this? xD

Oh, an before you say it they didn't die of covid. You realize it's the Swedish authorities reporting them as covid deaths right? It's not some convoluted conspiracy theory to make Sweden look bad. IT IS what they reported. You can't choose whatever you want to believe from Swedish sources to suit your narrative . :)
    I'm afraid I don't entirely agree with your reasoning here.

If someone was going to (sadly) die in June of non-Covid causes but instead died in May with Covid-19 present then that death won't have had any impact on overall deaths during the year.

Do we know all Swedens deaths to the end of October have been reported? Very efficient
    Very low numbers of deaths for the last three months; among the lowest in the EU, so most likely most have been reported.

I'm afraid I don't entirely agree with your reasoning here.

If someone was going to (sadly) die in June of non-Covid causes but instead died in May with Covid-19 present then that death won't have had any impact on overall deaths during the year.

oukay... so now we're on the realm of premonition and "if buts and maybes" so now it's guessing someone would die sometime in the future and because they died earlier of covid then it's not a covid death.

Again, you do realize that is completely any factual logical thinking because you can't predict someone will die in a few months time?

And even if we forget how ilogical this mentality is, can you please show me proof of people that where predicted to die in a couple of months time but they ended up dying of covid a few months earlier?

Honestly, you don't believe the medicine to report a covid death, but you believe the doctors will accurately predict someone will die in a few months time.

By the way even for cancer patients that is extremely flawed, there's sometimes people given months to live that survive, others that will die year after or others that don't survive a few weeks after the "prediction" is made.

But this I just mention is a farcry of stating 5 thousand dead people where predicted to die and died earlier because of covid :)

Do you really believe in this? :D:D:D

Very low numbers of deaths for the last three months; among the lowest in the EU, so most likely most have been reported.

How do you draw that conclusion? If their deaths are well below the rest of Europe, and we know many countries have reporting delays, it would suggest there remain some to be reported would it not?

• Advertisement

Honestly, you don't believe the medicine to report a covid death, but you believe the doctors will accurately predict someone will die in a few months time.
    No I don't believe that, but the argument does not depend on being able to predict when each individual person will die.

You wanted to know how, say, 5k deaths due to Covid in a year might not increase deaths in a year by 5k. If you accept that at least some of that 5k would have died anyway during the year then you would have to agree that the impact on total deaths for the year will be less than 5k. None of this depends on being able to predict when each of those will actually die.

How do you draw that conclusion? If their deaths are well below the rest of Europe, and we know many countries have reporting delays, it would suggest there remain some to be reported would it not?
    I would expect large reporting delays after a surge in deaths where it would take time to gear up to process those deaths. But it has only been small numbers of deaths (about 18 per week) for the last three months. The big numbers were five to six months ago. Even if there are delays now it won't have much impact on the total figures.

No I don't believe that, but the argument does not depend on being able to predict when each individual person will die.

You wanted to know how, say, 5k deaths due to Covid in a year might not increase deaths in a year by 5k. If you accept that at least some of that 5k would have died anyway during the year then you would have to agree that the impact on total deaths for the year will be less than 5k. None of this depends on being able to predict when each of those will actually die.

Again you are talking without any evidence, you assume the same people you defend are the same that will miss report a covid death. This is where the failure of the argument lies. You believe their approach on not lockingdown, but when those same sources show the higher number of deaths you decide NOT to trust those sources.

So you are choosing to, credit your sources when they favor your view, discredit your sources when the data they provide does not favor your view.

Also, this is not a matter of belief. In maths I can believe 2+2 = 10 but the reality is 2+2=4 and no matter whatever I believe it will always be 4... and same goes to all sciences...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Jaysus Charlie you are so eager to interact with me.. that in bold :) Charlie, that statement is still on. If you look at deaths over last 8 weeks, trajectory could very well take us there. Will be pretty amazing if it happens huh? My friend.

Real question is, if they end up with 89k deaths same as last year, or 91k deaths same as 2018, 2017, will you be giving Tegnell any recognition for a pretty good covid strategy on how to keep schools, bars, gyms, cinemas, hotels, retail opened every day for 365 days mask free in 2020 and still end up with same deaths as last year or year before?

PS I am very happy you arent disputing statista's figures. I am impressed.

I could not care less about interacting with you tbh.
    I only do so in the vain hope of keeping your crystal ball gazing predictions honest.
    You were predicting less deaths in Sweden than 89K this year a few weeks ago were you not ?

I know Tegnell has had a bit of a spat of late with Italy over Italy having a second wave while Sweden did not. A bit difficult for him to defend that now.
    Far as I remember, didn`t Sweden`s Public Health Authority give a figure of close to 4,000 further Covid deaths if Sweden suffered a second wave this year ?

I would have perhaps been somewhat impressed with Tegnell and Giesecke`s strategy if it had achieved any of it`s three primary aims, but unfortunately for Sweden it didn`t.
    Didn`t even last 365 days. Not much more than half that now that 5 regional authorities representing close to 2/3 of the population are going with their own recommendations.
    Edit : Now increased to 8 regions consisting of over 70% of the population/

On the mention of Giesecke, we have not heard anything from you on him recently. Not long ago you had this thread turned into a U Tube site promoting him.
    Always a good idea not to over do it on the hero worshiping. They are very often shown to have feet of clay.

Required restrictions in place, their herd immunity strategy binned long ago.

They are still in lala land though.......... "He also said parties at restaurants would be limited to eight people"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Its odd the attention Sweden gets, while there's barely a mention of the situation in other countries that had one or more hard lockdowns.

France are up on 400 deaths a day on average, the UK over 300, the Czech Republic is approaching 200 deaths a day on average, a population similar to Sweden. Belgium and the Netherlands are screwed with close to or over 100 deaths a day.

277 new deaths were reported in Poland today, a country that had one of the strictest lockdowns.

Sweden today reported 31 new deaths for the last 4 days, or just under 8 per day.

Its odd the attention Sweden gets, while there's barely a mention of the situation in other countries that had one or more hard lockdowns.

France are up on 400 deaths a day on average, the UK over 300, the Czech Republic is approaching 200 deaths a day on average, a population similar to Sweden. Belgium and the Netherlands are screwed with close to or over 100 deaths a day.

277 new deaths were reported in Poland today, a country that had one of the strictest lockdowns.

Sweden today reported 31 new deaths for the last 4 days, or just under 8 per day.

Its odd the attention Sweden gets, while there's barely a mention of the situation in other countries that had one lockdown or none at all...

Denmark recorded 1 to 3 deaths in the last three days, Norway sometimes gets a death a day, South Korea is approaching 3 deaths a day on average, a population five times the one of Sweden. Finland and Japan are fine with very few deaths to report daily too.

3 new deaths were reported in Taiwan today, a country that had one of the strictest lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Augeo wrote: »
    They are still in lala land though.......... "He also said parties at restaurants would be limited to eight people"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

This thread is just nominally Sweden avoiding lockdown. In reality its Charlie14 and Viera82 echo chamber bashing Tegnell, ignoring the total deaths in Sweden being in line with prior years, quoting covid deaths from Asian countries and ofcourse trying to claim that most of Sweden is in complete lockdown with people being unable to buy children clothes in the shops.

Its very tough read some of the posts. Bizarrely enough, if Sweden finish with 89k deaths for 2020 (which is something that is still very much on course) you ll see posts in this thread claiming that Sweden wouldve have 83k deaths if they went into lockdown and avoided having any covid deaths at all.

I suppose some people will never change their views. They are still in March/April hysteria. Hopefully they ll come out of it eventually.

This thread is just nominally Sweden avoiding lockdown. In reality its Charlie14 and Viera82 echo chamber bashing Tegnell, ignoring the total deaths in Sweden being in line with prior years, quoting covid deaths from Asian countries and ofcourse trying to claim that most of Sweden is in complete lockdown with people being unable to buy children clothes in the shops.

Its very tough read some of the posts. Bizarrely enough, if Sweden finish with 89k deaths for 2020 (which is something that is still very much on course) you ll see posts in this thread claiming that Sweden wouldve have 83k deaths if they went into lockdown and avoided having any covid deaths at all.

I suppose some people will never change their views. They are still in March/April hysteria. Hopefully they ll come out of it eventually.

again, cheap personal attacks instead of actually information and data. Guess who's really deep in an echo chamber? you yourself :D:D:D

have fun in there, when you want to join the good people outside we're all waiting for you <3

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Do we know all Swedens deaths to the end of October have been reported? Very efficient

But that would apply to every country.

Grasping a little with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Its odd the attention Sweden gets, while there's barely a mention of the situation in other countries that had one lockdown or none at all...

Denmark recorded 1 to 3 deaths in the last three days, Norway sometimes gets a death a day, South Korea is approaching 3 deaths a day on average, a population five times the one of Sweden. Finland and Japan are fine with very few deaths to report daily too.

3 new deaths were reported in Taiwan today, a country that had one of the strictest lockdowns.

Its great to see other countries doing well but this is the Sweden thread... And as you say Taiwan had one of the strictest lockdowns whereas lonesome Sweden did not, hence the thread...

I still cannot figure out why some people are so upset that Sweden might have got it right. Personally I hope they have.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Its great to see other countries doing well but this is the Sweden thread... And as you say Taiwan had one of the strictest lockdowns whereas lonesome Sweden did not, hence the thread...

I still cannot figure out why some people are so upset that Sweden might have got it right. Personally I hope they have.

Also something that gets missed a lot in this thread is that Sweden's government hasn't got the constitutional right to implement the same measures of lockdown that other western countries have. I think it's got mentioned way back in the thread but that fairly important point has got lost among the noise.

Sweden's playing the hand it's dealt rather than (as some would have you believe) relying on the minds of mad men and forging new ground in a crazy biological experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭greyday

Over 10,000 infections in 3 days since Friday, Sweden is a couple of weeks behind the rest of Europe so we can expect that figure to rise for a while yet.
    I am sure we all hope they have found a way to live fairly normally without having a high number of deaths but that level of infections is going to translate into a lot more deaths than they have had recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I still cannot figure out why some people are so upset that Sweden might have got it right
    . Personally I hope they have.

Among other things, I think it’s because the Swedish approach has become a darling of the Right, and therefore people on the Left feel the need to oppose it — lest they be seen as agreeing with those on the Right. Trump or Farage or the DUP praise Sweden? Then it is intolerable to be seen to agree with them.

Of course, sometimes life involves accepting that your opponents may be right, or at least partially right, about some things. The alternative stance is just entrenchment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,938 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Among other things, I think it’s because the Swedish approach has become a darling of the Right, and therefore people on the Left feel the need to oppose it — lest they be seen as agreeing with those on the Right. Trump or Farage or the DUP praise Sweden? Then it is intolerable to be seen to agree with them.
    Of course, sometimes life involves accepting that your opponents may be right, or at least partially right, about some things. The alternative stance is just entrenchment.

I dont see how left v right comes into this.
    Sweden has the highest rate of single dwellings in the EU and one of the lowest population densities.
    Their approach doesnt scale.

Sweden in any other discussion would not be held up as a right wing model so why would they be here? In no way is their current approach based on any fundamentally right wing principles.

If I search on google I see Trump tweets critical of the Swedish approach.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

it's not a matter of being upset, and if you where spanish or italian you'd definetly wish to have their case number and deaths, it's a matter of so many people taking now information from the Swedish government out of context, and to fit it into a narrative the Swedish officials are no longer even advocating...

The issue is idolatrizing Sweden and fobbing off other countries that did well in controlling the virus, some with way higher population density than Sweden and just completely choosing to ignore those examples that if we wholeheartedly follow we'd never even had needed a first lockdown in the first place...

The problem is people wanting forcefully to believe that Sweden is the best example when it isn't really... it is also not a matter of wanting Sweden to screw themselves, or anyone to screw themselves (like some in this thread wish on other users) it's a matter of fact vs fiction.

It's a matter of anyone with a bit of knowledge already knowing the proposed herd immunity put forward by Sweden (there's documents proving this is the information passed to the doctors and even the guy leading the Swedish reply admitted it) in the first wave is impossible without a working vaccine in a few months of letting it run rampant.

It's a matter of anyone with a bit of actual knowledge already knowing a second wave would come back in June/July and if people and govs did not act they would need to go into another lockdown.

PLEASE ENGRAVE THIS IN YOUR MIND: we are in a second lockdown because we wasted 11 months NOT getting ready for this. It has always been reactions to situations for the last 11 months. Heck| we could've even avoided the first lockdown...

And AGAIN, South Korea for example managing this perfectly fine without any major lockdown... why aren't we talking about this? why do we insist on plastering the information we receive from Sweden, on tweaking it to fit the narrative that they're doing fine, when they have infections rising and people dying of it?

Why look at it with such a passion, when you can look at other examples with almost close to 0 cases daily and 1 or 2 deaths of it every few days?

So the question is, why follow an example (Sweden) when you have even better ones (South Korea, Taiwan, Norway, Denmark, Finland, NZ, etc...) that are constantly ignored?

it's not a matter of being upset, and if you where spanish or italian you'd definetly wish to have their case number and deaths, it's a matter of so many people taking now information from the Swedish government out of context, and to fit it into a narrative the Swedish officials are no longer even advocating...

The issue is idolatrizing Sweden and fobbing off other countries that did well in controlling the virus, some with way higher population density than Sweden and just completely choosing to ignore those examples that if we wholeheartedly follow we'd never even had needed a first lockdown in the first place...

The problem is people wanting forcefully to believe that Sweden is the best example when it isn't really... it is also not a matter of wanting Sweden to screw themselves, or anyone to screw themselves (like some in this thread wish on other users) it's a matter of fact vs fiction.

It's a matter of anyone with a bit of knowledge already knowing the proposed herd immunity put forward by Sweden (there's documents proving this is the information passed to the doctors and even the guy leading the Swedish reply admitted it) in the first wave is impossible without a working vaccine in a few months of letting it run rampant.

It's a matter of anyone with a bit of actual knowledge already knowing a second wave would come back in June/July and if people and govs did not act they would need to go into another lockdown.

PLEASE ENGRAVE THIS IN YOUR MIND: we are in a second lockdown because we wasted 11 months NOT getting ready for this. It has always been reactions to situations for the last 11 months. Heck| we could've even avoided the first lockdown...

And AGAIN, South Korea for example managing this perfectly fine without any major lockdown... why aren't we talking about this? why do we insist on plastering the information we receive from Sweden, on tweaking it to fit the narrative that they're doing fine, when they have infections rising and people dying of it?

Why look at it with such a passion, when you can look at other examples with almost close to 0 cases daily and 1 or 2 deaths of it every few days?

So the question is, why follow an example (Sweden) when you have even better ones (South Korea, Taiwan, Norway, Denmark, Finland, NZ, etc...) that are constantly ignored?

All the example countries you mention are either islands with no land borders, or as good as an island (south korea) or are on the periphery of Europe (finland and norway).

Low density peripheral countries have generally done better from covid 19. Estonia is another that's doing well.

How Sweden is doing probably reflects their population size, density, number of single households and connectivity.

A couple of months ago during lockdown you could have said Sweden are doing worse than everyone else but now its flipped around. France actually had 854 deaths today and that's with mask wearing outdoors. UK almost 400 deaths, Poland 277, Czech Rep 205, Netherlands, Belgium etc etc all over 100. Czech Rep deaths will surpass Swedens in about 10 days on current trends.

Some of these countries don't even get a mention in the media who are obsessed with Sweden bashing and pointing fingers elsewhere.

The Swedish approach mightn't be for every country but it appears to be a good fit for Sweden and the Swedish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The figures don’t back up the argument, for months now in fact.

So the whole argument is now limited to trying to discredit Tegnell, despite the fact the restrictions could never be implemented due to an incredibly robust democracy in Sweden.

Ireland’s democracy is unfortunately recorded on toilet paper with the health act eroding the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Czech Republic will report 250+ deaths by the end of today and has a population of just over 10 million. In two weeks it will have the second highest number of deaths per capita in Europe, in about a 6 week periodit will have gone from the lowest deaths per capita to the nearly highest on the continent

And Sweden are the ones getting blame for poor handling!

Some posters want to compare Sweden to Norway, Taiwan, NZ or Japan but have no interest comparing them to France, Czech Rep, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands and so on. Its just one sided comparisons.

You'd think Sweden were doing worst in the world currently! Czech Rep have a similar population but currently 25 times the death rate as Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I dont see how left v right comes into this.
    Sweden has the highest rate of single dwellings in the EU and one of the lowest population densities.
    Their approach doesnt scale.

Sweden in any other discussion would not be held up as a right wing model so why would they be here? In no way is their current approach based on any fundamentally right wing principles.

If I search on google I see Trump tweets critical of the Swedish approach.

Dumb people need to simplify situations so they can develop a flawed understanding. It’s always boiled down to us vs them or left vs right etc with plenty of sweeping generalisations thrown in. Comparing any 2 countries response to this pandemic is not going to teach us much because the situation in every countries society, economy and health system is completely different meaning different approaches are more or less appropriate in different countries.

Using death figures to further this pointless argument is also a waste of time as every country records and reports deaths differently so what you end up with is a thread like this where people who don’t know what they’re talking about have a big argument that goes nowhere. It’s been the same talking points in this thread since March.

greyday wrote: »
    Over 10,000 infections in 3 days since Friday, Sweden is a couple of weeks behind the rest of Europe so we can expect that figure to rise for a while yet.
    I am sure we all hope they have found a way to live fairly normally without having a high number of deaths but that level of infections is going to translate into a lot more deaths than they have had recently.

Its now 4 days since friday!

Thats 2500 per day. Many countries of a similar size are seeing 10,000 or more per day. Swedes will probably take extra precautions for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Its now 4 days since friday!

Thats 2500 per day. Many countries of a similar size are seeing 10,000 or more per day. Swedes will probably take extra precautions for a few weeks.

https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1323734890060238848?s=20
    I am sure they will .

Nobody is Swedish bashing , on the contrary it is the unbelievable exaggeration by some here and on the other threads of the great difference between Sweden's response and its effects in comparison to other countries who have locked down, that results in the kickback now that its not going so well for them .
    Nothing to do with anti Swedish sentiment .
    And this whole thread is about Sweden Avoiding Lockdown, ffs , so why would you expect it not to be... all about Sweden ? ;)

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/zorinaq/status/1323734890060238848?s=20
    I am sure they will .

Nobody is Swedish bashing , on the contrary it is the unbelievable exaggeration by some here and on the other threads of the great difference between Sweden's response and its effects in comparison to other countries who have locked down, that results in the kickback now that its not going so well for them .
    Nothing to do with anti Swedish sentiment .
    And this whole thread is about Sweden Avoiding Lockdown, ffs , so why would you expect it not to be... all about Sweden ? ;)

Fair point.
    This thread probably had some relevance in the spring when most countries had covid under control and Sweden didn't.
    Now Sweden is basically just another country, mid table, except it decided not to lockdown.

Advertisement