Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

CraftySue wrote: »
    It's from reading Richard Dawkins, but there is information on the internet relating to the same. A higher percentage of those in Nordic countries had a natural immunity to the HIV virus, Sweden had a 10% immunity, this gradually reduced throughout Europe, until you reached Africa which had a 0% immunity to HIV. This all ties into how countries were affected previously to different medieval plagues years ago, and how people develop immunity. We might find it's a similar thing with Nordic countries to the coronavirus.

Not,ideal- but here is a link which relates somewhat to what I'm trying to get at.
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-03/uol-bdw031005.php

Professor Duncan added: "Haemorrhagic plague did not disappear after the Great Plague of London in 1665-66 but continued in Sweden, Copenhagen, Russia, Poland and Hungary until 1800. This maintenance of haemorrhagic plague provided continuing selection pressure on the CCR5-Ä32 mutation and explains why it occurs today at its highest frequency in Scandinavia and Russia."

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Sweden also has about 1/2 the population density of Ireland, and are somewhat socially distant by default.

If you just divide the population by the area you get a very low average density, but that's misleading. Most people live in the south, as you get north of Stockholm numbers fall off fairly rapidly.
    Most people live in blocks of flats in suburbs so the population density in the areas in which people actually live is much higher than you might expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're taking away people's romantic notion of what Sweden looks like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

biko wrote: »
    That doesn't mean I want them to fail. I want someone more cautious to take over, like Cecilia Soderberg-Naucler.

I rang Cecilia Soderberg-Naucler and she hung up on me.

Well, there are 22 scientists in Sweden that want a better approach so maybe one of them can assist.
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dn.se%2Fdebatt%2Ffolkhalsomyndigheten-har-misslyckats-nu-maste-politikerna-gripa-in%2F
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/0nyJQ6/22-forskare-folkhalsomyndigheten-har-misslyckats-med-sin-coronastrate

It's turning into a right slagging match, but so far the government seem to think Anders Tegnell is still the right person to lead the corona effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wonder how things are in Malmo.

But anyway, let them at it. I bet they, like many other countries are economical with the truth somehow. Or maybe they just keep practising eugenics. They have form.

At the end of the day who really cares.

Well, there are 22 scientists in Sweden that want a better approach so maybe one of them can assist.
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dn.se%2Fdebatt%2Ffolkhalsomyndigheten-har-misslyckats-nu-maste-politikerna-gripa-in%2F
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/0nyJQ6/22-forskare-folkhalsomyndigheten-har-misslyckats-med-sin-coronastrate

It's turning into a right slagging match, but so far the government seem to think Anders Tegnell is still the right person to lead the corona effort.

Swivel eyed loons. Good for entertainment value, if nothing else. Their data was off. The sudden rise they freaked out about was due to delayed reporting over the holiday weekend. It was to be expected. What sort of professional researchers make such an elementary mistakes?

Every old person that could have lived.
    The hundreds of people now dead that might have been alive.

Every old person that could have lived.
    The hundreds of people now dead that might have been alive now.

I was referring to Swedish people.

I get the impression that they don't really care about compromised or vulnerable people, as long as life, such as they know it can go on.

Different society really.

I was referring to Swedish people.

I get the impression that they don't really care about compromised or vulnerable people, as long as life, such as they know it can go on.

Different society really.

Yeah, they push old people off cliffs at midsummer.

• Advertisement

ush wrote: »

Link, lol :p

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Link, lol :p

reference to the movie "midsommar" which in turn references something called ättestupa but it's not clear if it was ever really a real thing or just a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there is absolutely no data available to make this conclusion so far.

we cannot know if their approach is right for them until this all settles down.

A few days ago you were doing exactly this. Comparing to Sweden and making conclusions. Glad you've seen the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ush wrote: »

If 2 countries could get away with killing the elderly for being burden, it would be Sweden and the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Breezin

Anyone concerned at the continuing social and economic cost of the policies pursued in the majority of European states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Breezin wrote: »
    Anyone concerned at the continuing social and economic cost of the policies pursued in the majority of European states.

Yes but aware that it would be so much worse if there was no such approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Danzy wrote: »

Not at all,this is going to mess things up for the expense of a few old sick vulnerable folk.Take that with a pinch of salt,but in hindsight this is what it will be.

Absolute bonkers

If 2 countries could get away with killing the elderly for being burden, it would be Sweden and the Dutch.

For being a burden, yes. But the danes do it just for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Breezin

Isn't the whole point of this thread that such an approach ultimately may be futile? Because both are experiments the findings of which will only be apparent in the longer term...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I really doubt the the numbers that "fall down the stairs" and die with covid are in anyway equitable to those that die due to the virus without being tested.... That's just non sensical, especially when viewed against their very low testing figures.

"I’ve never written so many death certificates. I’ve never worked this many hours,” says an exhausted Issa Yacoub, a doctor working in Sodersjukhuset, one of Stockholm’s largest public hospitals."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-lockdown-doctor-death-certificates-latest-a9462796.html

It's not sensical at all when you look at the profile of the vast, vast majority of covid deaths. I don't want to be insensitive but ages 80, 85+, with serious underlying health conditions.. these are one foot in the gravers for the most part.

This article compares covid v non covid mortality in the same people. It's not that different.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654

So if you attribute 100% them as 100% "fatality fur to covid19', well i'm not sure that's the right way to count it.

From source above:
    "Many people who die of Covid [the disease caused by coronavirus] would have died anyway within a short period," he says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's not sensical at all when you look at the profile of the vast, vast majority of covid deaths. I don't want to be insensitive but ages 80, 85+, with serious underlying health conditions.. these are one foot in the gravers for the most part.

This article compares covid v non covid mortality in the same people. It's not that different.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51979654

So if you attribute 100% them as 100% "fatality fur to covid19', well i'm not sure that's the right way to count it.

From source above:
    "Many people who die of Covid [the disease caused by coronavirus] would have died anyway within a short period," he says

I havent read the article yet but I wonder is there a way to quantify this? Will we see a reduction in deaths in the immediate aftermath of this pandemic due to it killing a lot of people who would have died in the subsequent months? Ive no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

MadYaker wrote: »
    I havent read the article yet but I wonder is there a way to quantify this? Will we see a reduction in deaths in the immediate aftermath of this pandemic due to it killing a lot of people who would have died in the subsequent months? Ive no idea

looking at the the French aircraft carrier statistics would lead you to believe that people that are fit and after going through regular health checks that would show any underlying conditions should have a very good recovery rate. Obviously many of those on the ship may be at an early stage of the illness so that could change,worth watching though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,187 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MadYaker wrote: »

What will become apparent is that the number of deaths in 2020 is probably not any higher than many other recent years

Cyrus wrote: »
    What will become apparent is that the number of deaths in 2020 is probably not any higher than many other recent years

Emergency workers in New York described their peak as a daily 911 in terms of what they were dealing with. So definitely not an ordinary amount of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Netherlands reported the highest number of deaths of Dutch citizens in a week since WW2 two weeks ago, so no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

wakka12 wrote: »
    Netherlands reported the highest number of deaths of Dutch citizens in a week since WW2 two weeks ago, so no

The thesis is that all/nearly all of these people would have been due to be passing away in 2020 anyway and covid is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Bit of a stretch...

https://c19.se/
    13329 cases
    1442 dead
    death rate 10.8%

• Subscribers Posts: 41,820 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"Probably"....

When I see this is a statement it makes what comes afterwards worthless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,099 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

https://c19.se/
    13329 cases
    1442 dead
    death rate 10.8%

the death rate is meaningless if they're hardly testing. If they only tested people who died their death rate would be 100%.

• Advertisement

The death rate among known cases is over 10 percent. As we can see from my postings over the days it is rising.
    Why do you think that is meaningless information?

Advertisement