Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Read this and thought of you Charles

Jan. 29, 2021 -- The latest antibody testing data conducted in Delhi, India suggests that the nation's capital may be very close to attaining herd immunity against COVID-19.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210129/herd-immunity-in-sight-for-indias-capitol

Herd immunity arising. everywhere on every continent.

Giesecke was right.

Already been debunked, but you know that....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Teachers in a Swedish town were not allowed by local government to wear PPE (facemasks).

After a furore of complaints the local government have now changed their minds.
    Now staff at libraries are denied the use of facemasks by management.
    The management says the use of facemasks are unnecessary, and they only follow recommendations from Tegnell's Health authority.

It doesn't mention if staff will ignore their bosses and wear protection anyway.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/halland/bibliotekarier-i-kungsbacka-vill-ha-munskydd-kommunen-sager-nej
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/halland/darfor-nekar-kungsbacka-kommun-sina-bibliotekarier-att-anvanda-munskydd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pi Patel

I think there a myriad of factors to take into account when deciding whether a country has had a successful response to the pandemic and lockdowns are only 1 of a long list which includes;
    Population and percent age old or infirm.
    Population density
    Average house hold size
    Percentage employed in different industries
    Structures of education and hospital settings
    Investment in health services
    Adherence to regulations amongst population and trust in state institutions
    Genetics
    Rapidity of vaccine deployment
    Culture greetings and mannerisms
    Climate

So actually lockdown decrees do have an impact but all the above and many more factors do as well and making a call on country x having a better response to country y is highly problematic. It’s only when the dust settles and holistic study is undertook will countries be able to be compared reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Already been debunked, but you know that....

Not without a link to a credible and quality debunking, it hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

cnocbui wrote: »

can you point to any link that after 11 months, 103,307,239 confirmed infections and 2,233,131 deaths where it has occured ?

You've been anti-facts and evidence since the beginning, as has been proven by multiple posters on multiple occasions.

You've repeatedly made claims and provided links that did not back up your claims, and when this was pointed out you'd just go quiet before you re-appeared a while later repeating the exact same behaviour. Like all the other conspiracy theorists, you are pathologically incapable of providing evidence to support your many debunked claims.

This is the 5th in a series of serological test surveys in Delhi.

The first survey in June/July came back with 23% antibodies present.

The second survey in August came back with 29.1% antibodies present.

The third survey in September came back with 25.1% antibodies present.

The fourth survey in October came back with 25.5% antibodies present.

The fifth survey in January came back with ~50% antibodies present.

Anyone with a functioning brain can see that there is no inference to be drawn from these series of surveys.
    Now, back off into the shadows with you.

Read this and thought of you Charles

Jan. 29, 2021 -- The latest antibody testing data conducted in Delhi, India suggests that the nation's capital may be very close to attaining herd immunity against COVID-19.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210129/herd-immunity-in-sight-for-indias-capitol

Herd immunity arising. everywhere on every continent.

Giesecke was right.

I would have though you have already embarrassed yourself enough with your juvenile hero worship of Tegnell and Giesecke and your silly little videos not to yet again highlight old snake oil salesman Johan.

Admittedly you and him have a lot in common.
    Even though his predictions of Sweden having herd immunity by May 2020 were part responsible for the failed strategy that cost lives, at least he more or less stopped there.

You on the other hand took failed predicting to a whole different level.
    Along with imminent herd immunity we had GDP predictions, Sweden being an oasis for foreign tourism by Summer 2020, Sweden having large scale immunity for a second wave, annual deaths for 2020 being lower than the 2019 total of 88,766 that ended up being 97,941.

I`m sure there are many more of your failed predictions but tbh your posts are so irrelevant I could not be bothered to look.

You've been anti-facts and evidence since the beginning, as has been proven by multiple posters on multiple occasions.

You've repeatedly made claims and provided links that did not back up your claims, and when this was pointed out you'd just go quiet before you re-appeared a while later repeating the exact same behaviour. Like all the other conspiracy theorists, you are pathologically incapable of providing evidence to support your many debunked claims.

This is the 5th in a series of serological test surveys in Delhi.

The first survey in June/July came back with 23% antibodies present.

The second survey in August came back with 29.1% antibodies present.

The third survey in September came back with 25.1% antibodies present.

The fourth survey in October came back with 25.5% antibodies present.

The fifth survey in January came back with ~50% antibodies present.

Anyone with a functioning brain can see that there is no inference to be drawn from these series of surveys.
    Now, back off into the shadows with you.

So do you have a link to that authoritative debunking or not?

charlie14 wrote: »
    can you point to any link that after 11 months, 103,307,239 confirmed infections and 2,233,131 deaths where it has occured ?

I do not understand your question, it's intent, or context, in terms of my request for a link. Please expound and include relevant exposition.

• Advertisement

I do not understand your question, it's intent, or context, in terms of my request for a link. Please expound and include relevant exposition.

You are one of the apostles that drank the Tegnell and Giesecke kool-aid close to a year ago, being so sure back then acquired herd immunity was about to appear any day.

That failed totally, but with you being such a believer, surely with 103,307,237 confirmed infections and 2,233,131 worldwide deaths to date, you can point to where it has become a reality ?

I know it's a skit but that's not Swedish she's speaking. It's Dutch.

So do you have a link to that authoritative debunking or not?
    I didn't make the claim it had been debunked. I also don't see why I'd even bother linking to such a claim when the data itself shows why no inference can be drawn from it.

Thanks for your valuable, evidence based contributions as always. Well argued, well reasoned, eminently rational.
    The number of infected people will most likely get to being 80% of most countries populations, so that 0.03% of infections will largely relate to the population as a whole also.

This is why the Sweden did the wrong thing bashing is so staggeringly pointless. We will all be Sweden soon enough.
    Yes. Neither New Zealand nor Iceland can afford to keep their borders closed to tourism until there is a vaccine.

You don't seem to get the basics. Without a vaccine - which we can't afford to wait for, the number of virus related deaths will be the same, no matter what approach you take. Lock down delays the inevitable for the sake of the health services capacity, it doesn't prevent it. Sweden's nordic neighbours you seem so keen on, will see an increase in cases and deaths when they ease up on lock down, which we saw with Germany.

These have aged so beautifully, and these are just from the first of eleven pages of your 'contributions' to the thread.

Where's Frank to chime in about posters lacking credibility?

charlie14 wrote: »
    You are one of the apostles that drank the Tegnell and Giesecke kool-aid close to a year ago, being so sure back then acquired herd immunity was about to appear any day.

That failed totally, but with you being such a believer, surely with 103,307,237 confirmed infections and 2,233,131 worldwide deaths to date, you can point to where it has become a reality ?

I don't recall stating anything about herd immunity. Perhaps you wouldn't mind quoting it for me - refresh my memory.

I didn't make the claim it had been debunked. I also don't see why I'd even bother linking to such a claim when the data itself shows why no inference can be drawn from it.

Thanks for your valuable, evidence based contributions as always. Well argued, well reasoned, eminently rational.

Well since you replied to my post, I foolishly thought you might have more to offer than invective - my bad.

Well since you replied to my post, I foolishly thought you might have more to offer than invective - my bad.

See, here you are again ignoring actual evidence and information. Thanks for proving my point so succinctly. And no, 'your bad' is promoting the same sort of toxic cankerous anti-intellectual thinking that is shared by the likes of antivaxxers, 5g conspiracy theorists and qanon.
    All your prognostications and theories from early on in this thread have been discredited. A quick review of your posting history proves this - and I've already included some absolute zingers. Would you like me to quote 10 more just to prove the point or are you willing to accept that despite all your sneering and condescension, you really never have had anything of value to add to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I know it's a skit but that's not Swedish she's speaking. It's Dutch.

Are Swedish people not allowed speak Dutch?
    But I think the point still stands and it's a powerful display when restaurant staff are told they don't need masks, they just need to keep distance.

I'm sure those who disagree will say there was nobody at the tables to catch the bottles and glasses of drink lol. Christ imagine if you ordered a fry :confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

That video is from back in April in a cafe in Amsterdam. Nothing to do with Sweden. Still funny though.

The Swedish government changed strategy document.
    When it was found out they claimed it was done by mistake and changed back.
    "The overall goal of the government's work is to reduce the rate of the spread of infection, ie to flatten the curve so that not many people get sick at the same time."
    became
    "The overall goal of the government's work is to reduce the spread of infection in society."
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/coronaviruset/orden-om-svenska-strategin-raderades/

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Cases , deaths and ICU numbers all way down over the last couple of weeks in Sweden. Very interesting considering most schools , bars and restaurants are open.

• Advertisement

I don't know what Sweden have done exactly, but whatever it was, it was just as successful as other mid table peer countries in Europe, and better than many - and they have a relatively normal life.

All this nonsense about comparing them to Norway and Finland is just that, nonsense. Those countries prevented COVID getting in and taking hold in the first place - the same thing that happened in the likes of NZ and Aus and some Asian countries. Couple that with strict border controls FROM THE START and you can see how that could work.

The only stat you can rely on to any degree of comparison is excess deaths. I say this because for example the UK uses "a death within 28 days of a positive COVID test" as their metric, which even a primary school child will see is a ridiculous way to measure COVID deaths.

Excess deaths on the other hand, are clear - you are either alive or dead. If we have a lethal pandemic, this should show up in the excess death stats. If it doesn't there is no lethal pandemic. Simple. And indeed it does show up.

Below is excess deaths since the start of 2020 to date for UK countries and Sweden. You can make your own over at euromomo.com.

The reality is the strict lockdowns have TOTALLY FAILED to protect the vulnerable in our society, while destroying life as we know it, the economy, and pretty certainly a wave of deaths for undiagnosed illnesses and suicides for everyone else.

If lockdown as practiced here is such a roaring success as a strategy, Sweden should have 10x the deaths of any other European countries, especially as they are 85% urban and have a very large elderly population. They should have been decimated. The fact is they weren't. Any pro lockdowners first have to explain why the death toll in Sweden ISN'T 10x of say Belgium before they can say lockdowns, or at least lockdowns as we know them, work. They also have to PROVE that these extremely damaging and costly lockdowns actually save lives - not stack them up to be knocked down again when opening up. The null hypothesis, that the level of infections and deaths we have now would have happened anyway, is looking like the most likely explanation. That, or Swedes do something magical and different than the rest of us.

In Ireland we incentivised everyone to go mad for a few weeks at Christmas - "save Christmas" and COVID partied along with us. You couldn't have devised a better strategy to maxially spread COVID. Keep people locked down for months and then let them loose. What the hell did they expect to happen?

Considering they lived and are living a pretty normal life compared to us prisoners, we should find out exactly what they are doing and this should be the model we all use until the vaccines are rolled out.

541792.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

Does anyone have the figures for deaths per million in Sweden versus deaths per million in Ireland? I think Sweden have a much older population too.

An interesting comparison because it's the most locked down country (Ireland) versus the least locked down country (Sweden).

Ireland has had twice as many 'hard lockdown days' as Finland which had the 2nd longest hard lockdown in Europe.

WicklaBlaa wrote: »
    Does anyone have the figures for deaths per million in Sweden versus deaths per million in Ireland? I think Sweden have a much older population too.

An interesting comparison because it's the most locked down country (Ireland) versus the least locked down country (Sweden).

Ireland has had twice as many 'hard lockdown days' as Finland which had the 2nd longest hard lockdown in Europe.

Sweden are 19th in deaths per million from COVID. Ireland 39th. Rightmost column is deaths per 1m pop. Source : https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

541798.png

EDIT: There is something off with the sorting, as you can see from the numbers, so there are a few low death per million countries sprinkled in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭WicklaBlaa

Sweden are 19th in deaths per million from COVID. Ireland 39th. Rightmost column is deaths per 1m pop. Source : https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

541798.png

EDIT: There is something off with the sorting, as you can see from the numbers. I will post an update.

Thanks - very interesting data.

The Swedish government changed strategy document.
    This has become quite the scandal in Sweden, described as "revision of historical documents".

The Health Minister was interviewed by one of the bigger papers:
    Do you have any knowledge of how it happened?
    - No, I do not know. I thought you would ask who did it and I have absolutely no knowledge of that.

You will not investigate this further?
    - Investigate?

How could it happen? The opposition demands answers about this?
    - Yes, they want answers to a lot of things.

It will not be investigated?
    - You have such big words. Someone has changed something and I do not know why.
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/lena-hallengren-avfardar-kritik-om-andrad-coronamening/

Why this person is still in charge is a mystery.

for the "2020 was just a normal year in Sweden" Gemma Bros

2020 has both the **most number of excess deaths** & **highest per capita excess deaths** than any year since the 1918-1919 pandemic.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1352133090215387136

EsO93KKXAAEiK7W?format=jpg&name=large

I don't know what Sweden have done exactly, but whatever it was, it was just as successful as other mid table peer countries in Europe, and better than many - and they have a relatively normal life.

All this nonsense about comparing them to Norway and Finland is just that, nonsense. Those countries prevented COVID getting in and taking hold in the first place - the same thing that happened in the likes of NZ and Aus and some Asian countries. Couple that with strict border controls FROM THE START and you can see how that could work.

The only stat you can rely on to any degree of comparison is excess deaths. I say this because for example the UK uses "a death within 28 days of a positive COVID test" as their metric, which even a primary school child will see is a ridiculous way to measure COVID deaths.

Excess deaths on the other hand, are clear - you are either alive or dead. If we have a lethal pandemic, this should show up in the excess death stats. If it doesn't there is no lethal pandemic. Simple. And indeed it does show up.

Below is excess deaths since the start of 2020 to date for UK countries and Sweden. You can make your own over at euromomo.com.

The reality is the strict lockdowns have TOTALLY FAILED to protect the vulnerable in our society, while destroying life as we know it, the economy, and pretty certainly a wave of deaths for undiagnosed illnesses and suicides for everyone else.

If lockdown as practiced here is such a roaring success as a strategy, Sweden should have 10x the deaths of any other European countries, especially as they are 85% urban and have a very large elderly population. They should have been decimated. The fact is they weren't. Any pro lockdowners first have to explain why the death toll in Sweden ISN'T 10x of say Belgium before they can say lockdowns, or at least lockdowns as we know them, work. They also have to PROVE that these extremely damaging and costly lockdowns actually save lives - not stack them up to be knocked down again when opening up. The null hypothesis, that the level of infections and deaths we have now would have happened anyway, is looking like the most likely explanation. That, or Swedes do something magical and different than the rest of us.

In Ireland we incentivised everyone to go mad for a few weeks at Christmas - "save Christmas" and COVID partied along with us. You couldn't have devised a better strategy to maxially spread COVID. Keep people locked down for months and then let them loose. What the hell did they expect to happen?

Considering they lived and are living a pretty normal life compared to us prisoners, we should find out exactly what they are doing and this should be the model we all use until the vaccines are rolled out.

541792.png

But we do know what Sweden did during their first wave and what they are doing now.

During their first wave they choose to ignore lockdown and go with the advice of Tegnell`s Public Health Authority and chase herd immunity instead. When it was obvious from their antibody test results this had failed, beginning of their second wave Tegnell attempted to rewind the clock back to March and do the same again.

With rising numbers in October he lifted restrictions on care homes, told the vulnerable it was again fine to mingle with the general population, and was going to increase the numbers allowed at public gatherings to 500.
    The regional authorities saw it for the insanity it was, and as soon as they had the authority to do so imposed their own local lockdowns.
    This forced the government to sideline Tegnell and his PHA, bring in new pandemic laws and mandatory restrictions punishable by fines or imprisonment.

You make it sound as if there was some reason that prevented Sweden from following the same course as their Nordic neighbours.
    There wasn`t. It was a choice they made.
    To date pro rata Norway have 9% of Sweden`s Covid deaths, Denmark 32% and Finland 11%.

You make the point that with the UK, even a primary school child will see as a ridiculous way to measure Covid deaths using "a death within 28 days of a positive COVID test"
    Would that not make Sweden`s method of measuring Covid deaths equally as ridiculous in the eyes of that primary school child as they use the same metric?

Euronomos charts can be confusing when it comes to actual figures.For annual deaths Statistica is much more clear cut.
    Sweden annual death 2020 are 97,941 as opposed to 88,766 for 2019. An increase of 10.34% . Contrary to your belief, and unless you can point to anything else over the last 41 weeks, ( for the first 11 deaths were below the normal level), in Sweden that resulted in those 9,175 excess deaths then I believe it is very clear the figures show their is a lethal pandemic.

I do not know which of the two Swedish strategies you believe we should be looking at or emulating, but with Sweden pro rata having 80% more Covid deaths and 40% more confirmed cases than Ireland, I would not see it as in any way a sensible suggestion.

This has become quite the scandal in Sweden, described as "revision of historical documents".

The Health Minister was interviewed by one of the bigger papers:

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/lena-hallengren-avfardar-kritik-om-andrad-coronamening/

Why this person is still in charge is a mystery.

When your slip is showing in public, it is never a great look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

541798.png

EDIT: There is something off with the sorting, as you can see from the numbers, so there are a few low death per million countries sprinkled in.

Covid is a disease which kills over 90% in the over 65 category.

Sweden has about 50% more over 65s than Ireland.

If we had the same proportion of 65s as Sweden, our deaths per million would be about 1000.

Whereas Sweden appear to be past the peak in terms of notified deaths we appear to be in the middle of the peak and so our deaths per million will outpace them for another few weeks.

In the end, the chances of an elderly person dying in Sweden will be about the same as Ireland.

Which is unsurprising because we made the same mistakes as the Swedes which was a failure to control borders and quarantine people properly.

Lockdowns without proper border control have been proven failures and a waste of time and money.

• Advertisement

Covid is a disease which kills over 90% in the over 65 category.

Sweden has about 50% more over 65s than Ireland.

If we had the same proportion of 65s as Sweden, our deaths per million would be about 1000.

Whereas Sweden appear to be past the peak in terms of notified deaths we appear to be in the middle of the peak and so our deaths per million will outpace them for another few weeks.

In the end, the chances of an elderly person dying in Sweden will be about the same as Ireland.

Which is unsurprising because we made the same mistakes as the Swedes which was a failure to control borders and quarantine people properly.

Lockdowns without proper border control have been proven failures and a waste of time and money.

or the countries actually geographically near and way more demographically and culturally similar to Sweden than Ireland (i.e Norway, Finland, Denmark) - the ones beside them for example - oh yeah they have Covid death per capita rates of 10% (Finland, Norway) to 30% (Denmark) the rates of Sweden!

ignoring the obvious yet again and seeking to draw a parallel that is pretty much irrelevant.

Advertisement