Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What Sweden shows is that you can be fairly open without runaway growth. That's wonderful.

It means with our caseload small we can get back to Swedish levels of normal and live somewhat more normal lives until treatments or vaccines emerge.

The lower our caseload to start the more wiggle room we'll have.

High levels of contact tracing and testing will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Sweden are edging ever closer to France in deaths per million, and it looks to be just a matter of time before they exceed that figure.
    Unfortunately for the people of Sweden this strategy has left them with nowhere else to turn. It is too late to use lockdown to control the number.
    I wish them well, but, this strategy is increasingly looking like a very tragic mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

35088 known cases
    4220 officially dead
    12% of known cases have passed

Numbers from FHMs own tracking page
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

What Sweden shows is that you can be fairly open without runaway growth. That's wonderful.

It means with our caseload small we can get back to Swedish levels of normal and live somewhat more normal lives until treatments or vaccines emerge.

Is this the latest spot the goalposts have been relocated to? Simply not having runaway growth is a success, even if your death rate stays higher for far longer than other countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Their neighbours now have zero or a couple deaths a day.

Finland stated their infections in Osterbotten area all came from Sweden
    https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2020/05/26/senaste-veckornas-coronafall-i-osterbotten-kommer-fran-sverige-infektionslakare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

biko wrote: »
    Their neighbours now have zero or a couple deaths a day.

Finland stated their infections in Osterbotten area all came from Sweden
    https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2020/05/26/senaste-veckornas-coronafall-i-osterbotten-kommer-fran-sverige-infektionslakare

Like in south America in relation to Brazil neighbors will be annoyed because ultimately they are put at risk of spread over borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Almost 200 deaths reported in the last 48 hours is not normal though. If this becomes the 'normal' then it was absolutely a mistaken policy. I have faith it will not remain this high for that much longer, but it is very much not a normal under control situation currently with that level of deaths daily .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Almost 200 deaths reported in the last 48 hours is not normal though. If this becomes the 'normal' then it was absolutely a mistaken policy. I have faith it will not remain this high for that much longer, but it is very much not a normal under control situation currently with that level of deaths daily .

Again, I'm not saying the figures aren't awful - but you have to understand how Sweden report its deaths. Some of those numbers are accounting for previous fatalities, some of which can be from over a month ago.
    If you go to the page that biko linked - https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa
    and sort by Avlinda/dag (deaths per day) - you'll see the reported deaths for the past couple of days are much lower than that (again to reiterate as has been reported so far - you'll likely see additions to these days over the coming week(s)). Sweden's data is accurate but the reporting is very slow and it actually makes it much harder to get a snapshot of how they're currently coping with all of this. The numbers in the ICUs are dropping, albeit far more slowly than other countries that have engaged in lockdowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Again, I'm not saying the figures aren't awful - but you have to understand how Sweden report its deaths. Those numbers are added tallies to the total number of fatalities some of which can be from over a month ago.
    If you go to the page that biko linked - https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa
    and sort by Avlinda/dag (deaths per day) - you'll see the reported deaths for the past couple of days are much lower than that (again to reiterate as has been reported so far - you'll likely see additions to these days over the coming week(s)). Sweden's data is accurate but the reporting is very slow and it actually makes it much harder to get a snapshot of how they're currently coping with all of this. The numbers in the ICUs are dropping, albeit far more slowly than other countries that have engaged in lockdowns.

That could well be the case, but a month ago people were using those figures to say "See, Sweden is doing it right". Yet now we're told that the figures were actually wrong and they undercounted significantly, but Sweden was still doing it right all along regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

But a month ago people were using those figures to say "See, Sweden is doing it right". Yet now we're told that the figures were actually wrong and they undercounted significantly, but Sweden was still doing it right all along regardless.

Those people obviously didn't understand how the reporting is done either and they were wrong to state that they are doing it right when it was still far too early to tell (and still is imho).

Here's some examples showing the tallies retrospectively changing between reporting days.
    https://twitter.com/DavidSteadson/status/1263053842641453057

• Advertisement

Again, I'm not saying the figures aren't awful - but you have to understand how Sweden report its deaths. Some of those numbers are accounting for previous fatalities, some of which can be from over a month ago.

Some posters on here claimed that the spikes in deaths 3rd week of April were due to all the historical cases being included up to then.
    If that was the case then any deaths now being added will only have gone back a month and would they not be very close to the numbers who passed in that time?

Even a bit low as others may be subsequently added.

Is this the latest spot the goalposts have been relocated to? Simply not having runaway growth is a success, even if your death rate stays higher for far longer than other countries?

I don't think Swedem has taken a good path,not sure where you got that from my posts.

But yes, not having runaway growth is a success. We're not going to get to zero, but we have got to a low level. Swedens flat curve suggests that if we reopen a certain amount it will stay there. That's fantastic news as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,887 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We're not going to get to zero, but we have got to a low level.

Austria has no new cases today.

Compare that to Sweden.

Austria has no new cases today.

Compare that to Sweden.

Again, I'm not supporting the Swedish approach. My post does not suggest that I do. You're leaping to conclusions based on your own perceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sweden are edging ever closer to France in deaths per million, and it looks to be just a matter of time before they exceed that figure.
    Unfortunately for the people of Sweden this strategy has left them with nowhere else to turn. It is too late to use lockdown to control the number.
    I wish them well, but, this strategy is increasingly looking like a very tragic mistake.

Well let's not exaggerate here, there are hardly people dying in the streets. For the vast vast majority of swedish people I doubt a few extra deaths will make any difference to them.

He is right though. The Swedish experiment has shown that you can maintain a stable level of cases without a lockdown. All us countries that now are coming out / out of lockdown can reap the benefits of this, while Sweden are on a knife edge knowing that any easing from their current methods may put them into crisis

bb1234567 wrote: »

Their weekly totals are quite stable at 500 a week for around 6 weeks. Usually 4 high days mid week with low total Sat-Mon

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well let's not exaggerate here, there are hardly people dying in the streets. For the vast vast majority of swedish people I doubt a few extra deaths will make any difference to them.

Well let`s not fool ourselves either. When we look at Sweden`s strategy in comparison to its neigbours we can see the folly of a Swedish strategy that has no economic benefit, no immunity benefit and no exit plan. Just more deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It's not a few, it will be a lot if it continues in this trend. And I don't know what that is supposed to mean, at what point does the number of deaths start to make a difference to people?

Their weekly totals are quite stable at 500 a week for around 6 weeks. Usually 4 high days mid week with low total Sat-Mon

If we had the equivalent of 250 deaths week on week for 6 weeks, I doubt our authorities terming it as quite stable would cut it publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Excess deaths

map-of-z-scores.png

Well let`s not fool ourselves either. When we look at Sweden`s strategy in comparison to its neigbours we can see the folly of a Swedish strategy that has no economic benefit, no immunity benefit and no exit plan. Just more deaths.

No exit plan, you do realise what sweden are doing now is every countries exit plan in a few months.

No exit plan, you do realise what sweden are doing now is every countries exit plan in a few months.

It is a stage in every countries exit plans when deaths and new confirmed cases are low enough.
    It is a stage where Sweden is stuck because of the numbers for both and looks like being there for some time.

It is a stage in every countries exit plans when deaths and new confirmed cases are low enough.
    It is a stage where Sweden is stuck because of the numbers for both and looks like being there for some time.

Until these countries have exited the restrictions for a few months will we know if the Swedish numbers are bad in comparison. Its impossible to know yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If we had the equivalent of 250 deaths week on week for 6 weeks, I doubt our authorities terming it as quite stable would cut it publicly.

I don't think you get that a longterm lockdown is not sustainable for many reasons. A vaccine may come in the next year but it may well be another year before herd immunity is achieved from it, and most people are vaccinated.

There is no way people will remain locked down for 2 years. They will want to get on with their lives, visit friends and relatives, go on holiday and go to the pub.

Lockdown is just not sustainable. And as soon as you lift lockdown its only a matter of time before numbers rise.

Which is why most countries are looking at the Swedish experiment.

There's some very obvious lessons to be learned from the care home crisis in every country, but don't expect our government or HSE to learn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Excess deaths

map-of-z-scores.png

The Irish excess numbers haven't been officially counted yet.

An unofficial count using rip.ie showed an excess of about 1000 deaths for the period.

And that map shows no excess for Spain or Italy which stretches credibility.

I don't think you get that a longterm lockdown is not sustainable for many reasons. A vaccine may come in the next year but it may well be another year before herd immunity is achieved from it, and most people are vaccinated.

There is no way people will remain locked down for 2 years. They will want to get on with their lives, visit friends and relatives, go on holiday and go to the pub.

Lockdown is just not sustainable. And as soon as you lift lockdown its only a matter of time before numbers rise.

Which is why most countries are looking at the Swedish experiment.

There's some very obvious lessons to be learned from the care home crisis in every country, but don't expect our government or HSE to learn them.

Where did you get the idea from that post that I believe a lockdown should last for anything like two years:confused:
    Nobody is looking at the Swedish experiment now other than being grateful they did not go down that road.

We have a timetable for five step easing of restrictions. If Sweden have any plans for moving from where they are I haven`t heard them.

Numbers may or may not rise, but at least we have a method of attempting to minimise them if they do. Testing, quick result reading, contact tracing and quarantine. With our numbers low due to lockdown we will have, as one poster said, wriggle room. I have heard no such plan from Sweden. Nor where they will have wriggle room if or when their numbers increase.

An unofficial count using rip.ie showed an excess of about 1000 deaths for the period.

The map is from the official European Mortality counting organisation which has been tracking deaths since before covid. The source is credible with caution regarding the last 3 weeks data.

There is a caveat regarding Ireland on the front page. Its week 20 so Spain and Italy's mortality have returned close to normal levels, which is what the map shows. That is subject to final numbers in two more weeks, but euromomo been at this a while

The individual mortality graphs they give for each country are very interesting. More informative then s map snapshot.

• Advertisement

Has Sweden excess deaths for that period and if they have, have they been officially counted ?

Advertisement