Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scout bees

Options
  • 11-04-2020 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, our hive didn't make it through the winter, so we try again this year.

However, it was really nice to see a good range of bees (scout bees, I think, as they spent most of their time just hovering around for a few seconds then heading off) in the garden this morning. The bumble bees were out in force also.

Excuse the quality of the photos but bees are very hard to take photographs of!

49760378296_1a30a2b3d3.jpg

49760378201_314f27c3ce.jpg

49760698882_ba43d33684.jpg

49759849098_27a11cb7f1.jpg

49760377661_9d26f496c8.jpg

49760377471_680b247c53.jpg

49760377326_f8614c7e52.jpg

49759848473_f49cbc4543.jpg

49759848213_34de8ece7c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

Wow, is that what they are? I noticed the last 2 says the odd lone hovering bee in our garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I think you may have photographed a hoverfly, I can't enlarge the photos enough but it appears that they only have two wings and not four. I also lost my hive over winter so today the bait traps went out. Here's hoping the neighbouring beekeepers are a bit slow off the mark when it comes to swarm control. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

I think you may have photographed a hoverfly, I can't enlarge the photos enough but it appears that they only have two wings and not four. I also lost my hive over winter so today the bait traps went out. Here's hoping the neighbouring beekeepers are a bit slow off the mark when it comes to swarm control. ;):)

Perhaps (might explain the weird markings on the first one), but I am pretty sure they were bees which are hanging about. Starting to see some foragers in the afternoon, when does swarming start to occur - bit early for them, no?

New to all this - but very much looking forward to having them back again. I find working with bees incredibly calming.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Flipperdipper

ezra_ wrote: »
    Perhaps (might explain the weird markings on the first one), but I am pretty sure they were bees which are hanging about. Starting to see some foragers in the afternoon, when does swarming start to occur - bit early for them, no?

New to all this - but very much looking forward to having them back again. I find working with bees incredibly calming.

A bit early for swarming yet but may as well be prepared. You never know, you may live just up the road from a lazy beekeeper who hasn't got himself organised yet, or a newbie who's not too sure what they're doing ;):) You're right they are incredible calming to work with and fantastic to study and watch them work.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

I'd say hoverfly as well, that first one looks exactly like something I've had in the garden the past few days. Looks like a dark honey bee but different way of flying and they seem to drop their back legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Scout bees act just like other bees - anything that hovers is a hoverfly. If they are scout bees, they'll simply load up on nectar, head home and do the dance to tell everyone else where to find the source. However, it's very unlikely that you have sufficient of a single plant species in your garden to trigger this behaviour, although fruit trees are starting to blossom now - I could be completely wrong and you may have an acre of OSR in your back yard in which case apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

bpmurray wrote: »
    Scout bees act just like other bees - anything that hovers is a hoverfly. If they are scout bees, they'll simply load up on nectar, head home and do the dance to tell everyone else where to find the source. However, it's very unlikely that you have sufficient of a single plant species in your garden to trigger this behaviour, although fruit trees are starting to blossom now - I could be completely wrong and you may have an acre of OSR in your back yard in which case apologies.

Seems they were hoverflies - my bad!

It's too early for it but the bees really seem to like the cotoneaster. For about a week or so there is practically a cloud around the plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

ezra_ wrote: »
    It's too early for it but the bees really seem to like the cotoneaster. For about a week or so there is practically a cloud around the plants!

Absolutely - they adore that

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Nice photos OP.
    Yes, hover flies and bumble bees.
    I was out a few days ago and what I thought was a particularly small bumble bee in the hedge. Turns out it was a bee fly. A very good mimic. Look it up.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a photo.
    I'll go looking again and see if she returns.

Advertisement