Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! ,Planting a wildflower strip, i've no idea !

Options
  • 11-04-2020 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I have a strip of grass between two fences in the garden its about 20 meters long and 1 meter wide, every year it just goes wild with grass ect.., i know nothing about gardening or flowers but this year i was thinking about planting some wild flower seeds or something along this strip. would love lots and lots of colour and no maintenance!!, what is the best way of going about this? ,seen some online shops selling bags of wildflower seeds, what would be the best type to go for and do they generally come up every year or would i have to plant yearly? ( as i said ive no idea!!) any help would be appreciated !! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Generally 'd stay clear of on-line shops offering wildflower seeds, you would be introducing non native varieties and their problems. Have a look at http://www.wildflowers.ie/all-trade/a0-all-pricelists.htm or http://irishseedsavers.ie/ If you want to go wild keep it native.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,490 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the strip gets overrun with grass, wildflowers will struggle there as the grass will outcompete them. try sourcing yellow rattle seeds - it parasitises the roots of grass so may take some of the vigour out.

one common method of doing this would involve stripping back the top layer of fertile topsoil and replacing it with poorer soil - but you said you wanted low maintenance...

Advertisement