Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are teachers getting full salary at this time?

Options
  • 11-04-2020 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Why are teachers, particularly primary school teachers, getting full pay at this time while they sit on their back sides doing nothing?

Why aren't they on the 350 a week like everyone else whose employment has been compromised by the virus? The cost to the taxpayer here is enormous.

If they were actually doing something useful like contact tracing that would be different story. But they are doing nothing, nada, zilch.

Also, why is there no push to force the teachers to work July and August to make up for lost time?

They will effectively have 6 months doing nothing at full pay. Why are we such a soft touch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Not all on their backsides. Most of them are busy retraining for other jobs that don't involve childminding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

Why are teachers, particularly primary school teachers, getting full pay at this time while they sit on their back sides doing nothing?

Why aren't they on the 350 a week like everyone else whose employment has been compromised by the virus? The cost to the taxpayer here is enormous.

If they were actually doing something useful like contact tracing that would be different story. But they are doing nothing, nada, zilch.

Also, why is there no push to force the teachers to work July and August to make up for lost time?

They will effectively have 6 months doing nothing at full pay. Why are we such a soft touch?

Can't wait to see what the unions demand when the teachers have to interrupt their scheduled holidays in late July.

Quadruple pay would be my guess.

Even then some of them won't come in on principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Can't wait to see what the unions demand when the teachers have to interrupt their scheduled holidays in late July.

Supervising and correcting the leaving cert is actually a separate activity that teachers volunteer for and get extra pay. So vast majority won't be back until Sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Most are not sitting on their holes . Some are tying to get work together so kids can progress @ home .

I'm not a teacher myself . I'm currently working form home but i know quite a few who are using facilitates Like Zoom and Google Classroom to help.

Ye sound like a bunch of Disgruntled Chaps questioning their Career choice .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Most are not sitting on their holes . Some are tying to get work together so kids can progress @ home .

I'm not a teacher myself . I'm currently working form home but i know quite a few who are using facilitates Like Zoom and Google Classroom to help.

Begrudgery is a big part of Irish life.

• Advertisement

Supervising and correcting the leaving cert is actually a separate activity that teachers volunteer for and get extra pay. So vast majority won't be back until Sep.

Classes will be returning for at least two weeks before the LC apparently.

Evidence please. The vast, vast majority of primary school teachers are not offering anything via zoom or skype to their students. This is a known fact, i've spoken to a primary school supervisor.

No reason they shouldn't be on the 350 a week like everyone else.

A lot must have changed from when I finished up nearly 20 years ago. Most of them wouldn't correct your homework back then if it meant taking the copybooks home. An absolute union hostage job.

edit- the secondary teachers that is. The difference between them and national school was night and day. Simply too wealthy to care about anything most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

From reading that forum on boards the people who hate the teaching unions the most are the teachers themselves

Still join though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Never seen this thread being done before.

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    From reading that forum on boards the people who hate the teaching unions the most are the teachers themselves

Still join though

Probably annoyed they don't threaten to hold the country to ransom any more like they did ever other year in the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Evidence please. The vast, vast majority of primary school teachers are not offering anything via zoom or skype to their students. This is a known fact, i've spoken to a primary school supervisor.

Most of them certainly are.

What is a primary school supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Teacher salaries are already budgeted for as part of the Department of Education's budget.

The 350 per week is coming from emergency funding by the government.

It's better that the teachers continue to be payed the way they are and the emergency funding be kept for the emergency.

Or does that not suit your argument ?

Teacher salaries are already budgeted for as part of the Department of Education's budget.

The 350 per week is coming from emergency funding by the government.

It's better that the teachers continue to be payed the way they are and the emergency funding be kept for the emergency.

Or does that not suit your argument ?

It's not better for the budget deficit is it?

Dept of Education could certainly give that money back now couldn't they?

How can you even morally argue that teachers, alone among workers unable to work due to the virus, are still on full salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

If teachers are paid so well with such a great job here’s the application form for a higher diploma in primary education.

https://hiberniacollege.com/start-your-application-today/

Want to join a union? No problem, here....

https://www.ictu.ie/joinaunion/

Don’t like teachers?no problem.

Cop on. Grow up. Stop trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I teach music a few hours a week and for definite, I now work more hours than before. Scanning in the music each week for each student, sending and preparing backing tracks, having to allocate extra time because of connection issues, crap sound via zoom, etc. Everyone I work with the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭jacool

My son is in primary school and the 3 teachers in his year have sent out homework, reading material, and shown parents how to access the free online content. We got emails every day up until the holidays started and they were coordinating to try and keep all the pupils on the same pace and track. My son appreciated the mails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

So you've spoken to one person and that makes it a well known fact? Jog on.

Teachers are being paid because they're continuing to work, simple as that.

These teacher bashing threads are becoming tiresome. It's all just jealousy from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

"The vast, vast majority".

Evidence: "I've spoken to a primary school supervisor".

The evidence is flimsy. You must have nothing better for doing than doing this thread again. Go do something positive with your spare time.

jacool wrote: »
    My son is in primary school and the 3 teachers in his year have sent out homework, reading material, and shown parents how to access the free online content. We got emails every day up until the holidays started and they were coordinating to try and keep all the pupils on the same pace and track. My son appreciated the mails.

Would you call that the same amount of "work" as being the classroom teaching? Sending one email with list of reading material is not quite the same.

None of that is going on in many schools by the way. Many parents complaining as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I don't care if teachers are working or not, this type of bashing is uncalled for.
    What I care about is the pay discrepancy between teachers and nurses.
    It is ridiculous how a 1st point secondary teacher base salary earns 7k more than a 1st point staff nurse base salary. Nurses have to tend to the sick and frail, the and often have to deal with losing a patient. They work nights, weekends. Sure, sometimes teachers correct homework in evenings and do class plans but the huge pay discrepancy is still not warranted in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I don't care if teachers are working or not, this type of bashing is uncalled for.
    What I care about is the pay discrepancy between teachers and nurses.
    It is ridiculous how a 1st point secondary teacher base salary earns 7k more than a 1st point staff nurse base salary. Nurses have to tend to the sick and frail, the and often have to deal with losing a patient. They work nights, weekends. Sure, sometimes teachers correct homework in evenings and do class plans but the huge pay discrepancy is still not warranted in my opinion.

Go to the discussion on nurses pay and the confusion around their pay scale is discussed in detail.
    My understanding of their pay scale having read that is the published figure is the basic pay. All nurses then earn allowances such as night shift, bank holiday, weekends and extra money for extra training. I think someone did do a comparison between teachers and nurses (why they are always compared I'll never know!) and nursing pay (with allowances) works out significantly more.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Same reason as it was when the last thread on exactly the same subject was locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement