Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old lawnmower barely used. Worth resurrecting?

Options
  • 11-04-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I've come across a briggs and stratton lawnmower that is probably about 12 years old but would have had very little use, I'd say 20-30 hours max and after that has it been sitting in a dry shed untouched for maybe 8 years.

Would it be worth bringing to a repair place and seeing if it can be used again? I've not even tried to start it for fear of causing damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Absolutely. Briggs & stratton engines are bullet proof. If the deck is fairly solid I'd be keeping it. New diaphragm set, new plug, fresh petrol and oil and it's guaranteed to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

emeldc wrote: »
    Absolutely. Briggs & stratton engines are bullet proof. If the deck is fairly solid I'd be keeping it. New diaphragm set, new plug, fresh petrol and oil and it's guaranteed to start.

Ah brilliant! Is it fool proof enough that I could order the parts and do myself during the lock down or should I wait and get a pro to look at it in case anything might be siezed and I go breaking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Yes they are fairly straightforward to work on plenty of YouTube videos to help you. If you're on lockdown is will be a nice little project.

I ordered a new carburetor for my Dads Briggs & Stratton lawnmower on Amazon fitted it in 30 min today and its like new.

My own mower is nearly 20 years old and the only original part is the paint :)

As emeldc said replace the diaphragm and maybe a new plug...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It might even start the way it is but i would imagine the diaphragm is perished after 12 years so it will never tick over properly. Have a look at some youtube videos on how to change it. You'll be able to clean up the carb and change all the seals at the same. As long as you're handy with a couple of spanners it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

ike wrote: »

My own mower is nearly 20 years old and the only original part is the paint :)

Barely run in! Mine is 27 years old. Honda, bloody super yoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

30-year old Harry with B&S Motor, always starts first time. Wore out the wheels and replaced them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

As long as the deck hasn't rusted away, it's worth it.

Advertisement