Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Advice (Video)

Options
  • 11-04-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi there,

I moved into a new house recently and this is the first time in a long time, that i've had a garden, as I've been living in a apartment for the last 10+ years.

As you can see from the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjtYv76CNqA - I think the back garden / grass might need to be re-done, as it seems very patchy and weedy.

I have a few questions which hopefully someone can help with.

QUESTIONS

01 - is there anything that can be done to rejuvenate the grass... i.e - sowing more seeds over it... or is it best that it is just dug up and with a view of growing fresh new grass?

02 - I was thinking of laying sleepers at the edge of the grass and raising the garden up so that it is level... the granite area will then feel like more of a snug pit... any ideas around this?

03 - As much as I don't like artificial grass, I was half thinking of placing an artificial putting green down. Does anyone here have one? are they pricey?

Thank you in advance for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjtYv76CNqA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

The grass in video is mostly in the shade - I'm guessing that persists most of the day. Grass likes sunshine so I doubt if you will get a bowling green finish. The slope will mean you should never be waterlogged. I wouldn't change that. You could top dress and reseed but I'd guess you will need to use a grass for shady area. Artificial grass will save you hours of mowing but so would concrete - I wouldn't recommend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭paul7g

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    The grass in video is mostly in the shade - I'm guessing that persists most of the day. Grass likes sunshine so I doubt if you will get a bowling green finish. The slope will mean you should never be waterlogged. I wouldn't change that. You could top dress and reseed but I'd guess you will need to use a grass for shady area. Artificial grass will save you hours of mowing but so would concrete - I wouldn't recommend either.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Can you confirm what you mean by 'top dress'?

Would it be a bad idea to sow extra grass seeds on top of the existing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,430 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How much work do you want? You have a nice structure there with potential to be a very nice garden, but not with grass. As Grumpyme has said, your grass is in the shade, it will never be really good quality.

You can either go with average quality grass - rake it and throw down a bit more seed to fill the patches for the easiest result.

You might not want the work, but I would have winding paths and lots of interesting shrubs and plants suited to a shady area. It would be gorgeous to sit on the patio and admire it. I'm not sure sleepers would suit the style of the garden, if you want to level up the lawn I'd suggest a little wall and steps to complement the paving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

paul7g wrote: »
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    Can you confirm what you mean by 'top dress'?
    Would it be a bad idea to sow extra grass seeds on top of the existing
    Top dress is kinda filling any holes with fresh compost and then seeding these to fill out your lawn - google/youtube for vids. Seeds might not grow into hard caked bare soil so top dressing gives a good growing medium for new seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭paul7g

Thanks guys... a few things to consider, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement