Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media frequent issues

• 11-04-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is answered to death in other threads but has anyone experienced short broadband outages multiple times a day with Virgin? This is not a new problem so nothing to do with coronavirus.
    On an average day i am scrolling through twitter or instagram and the internet connection drops for about 30 seconds. This happens maybe 4 or 5 times a day that I notice so it could be happening a lot more. I know it’s my broadband because i switch to phone data and whatever I’m viewing loads no problem.

Is there any way of even verifying this? How do you prove when your internet connection dies for 30 seconds?

Living in Dublin 9. Setup is a Virgin media superhub 3 in modem mode feeding a google wifi which feeds a 24 port switch.
    The problem existed before I added the google wifi and switch so I’m kind of ruling that out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

GSPfan wrote: »
    Sorry if this is answered to death in other threads but has anyone experienced short broadband outages multiple times a day with Virgin? This is not a new problem so nothing to do with coronavirus.
    On an average day i am scrolling through twitter or instagram and the internet connection drops for about 30 seconds. This happens maybe 4 or 5 times a day that I notice so it could be happening a lot more. I know it’s my broadband because i switch to phone data and whatever I’m viewing loads no problem.

Is there any way of even verifying this? How do you prove when your internet connection dies for 30 seconds?

Living in Dublin 9. Setup is a Virgin media superhub 3 in modem mode feeding a google wifi which feeds a 24 port switch.
    The problem existed before I added the google wifi and switch so I’m kind of ruling that out.

Yes in Cork myself. Drops for 30secs or so easily more than 5 times a day. Minor annoyance but beginning bug me at this stage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Exact same with me in Dublin. I don't know if it's set to refresh IP address which is kicking everything off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Had this issue when I was with them. Turned off the "smart WiFi" setting and it fixed the issue. Worth a try.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Somebody torrenting in the gaff? There's a flaw in the COMPAL units (PUMA6) which means enough packets from different addresses and it crashes and reboots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

ED E wrote: »
    Somebody torrenting in the gaff? There's a flaw in the COMPAL units (PUMA6) which means enough packets from different addresses and it crashes and reboots.

No. If it’s not me doing the streaming or downloading it’s no one. The wife and two young kids watch youtube and that’s about it.

• Advertisement

DopeTech wrote: »
    Had this issue when I was with them. Turned off the "smart WiFi" setting and it fixed the issue. Worth a try.

I’ll check and see if this is turned on. Think i turned that off but must check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yep I have the same issue. Always happens at about 2115 at night aswell as multiple times throughout the day.

Happened twice since 10am already! Might start taking notes of IP addresses and DNS addresses and seeing do they change and then see if I can narrow it done

I just had another outage and it lasted about 10 minutes. This time 2 of my 3 google wifi’s needed to be powered off and on after the connection came back to get them to work.

During the outage i powered off/on the hub and that did nothing. It’s such an annoying problem.

Yesterday I confirmed with Eir and Vodafone that i can get Fibre to the home so I’m going to go that route anyway. But this is still something I’d want to resolve.

So i logged in to hub and tried to find the smart wifi setting but can’t see it. I then realised I have my hub in modem mode so that probably means the smart wifi feature is disabled anyway. My Google Wifi is my router and the 2nd and 3rd Google Wifi’s are access points. Works great for coverage in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

GSPfan wrote: »
    So i logged in to hub and tried to find the smart wifi setting but can’t see it. I then realised I have my hub in modem mode so that probably means the smart wifi feature is disabled anyway. My Google Wifi is my router and the 2nd and 3rd Google Wifi’s are access points. Works great for coverage in the house.

I was searching why my VM WiFi 2.4Ghz goes from 40Mb during the day to 2Mb at night always around 11pm & read ur post. I'm recently after leaving Vodafone/siro 1GB as both wired and WiFi has been dropping several times a day since before Xmas and even a new modem didn't sort it so just letting u know the grass isn't always greener on the other side ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Getting a similar problem here in Dublin 1.

The drops last no longer than 30 seconds but super annoying. Doesn't bother me during the day as I just need to reconnect to my work VPN. My work is not online and so I hardly notice when it happens only for the fact that the VPN prompt is flashing at the bottom of my screen.

It is far more annoying when I'm on with the lads on PS4 at night for an hour or two and I'm dropping out of games.

Went into the hub settings and have now turned off smart Wifi to see if it makes things any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for this - having the same issue so have tried this, fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Same here but using foreign sat and it buffers,laptop is the only wifi thing in use but rooms have many switches hard wired.Another thing to note with lock down more people are online and could be putting pressure on the internet.Surprised with Siro having issues.

Funny thing is, I'm.maxing out my connection speed 95% of the time i test it! (Speedtest.net)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Thanks for this - having the same issue so have tried this, fingers crossed

Turning off smart wifi seems to have helped here, thanks for the suggestion DopeTech!

The main gripe I had was Google home speakers constantly having errors and disconnecting/reconnecting and that seems to have resolved now which is great

Advertisement