Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help understanding my immersion Horstmann Electronic 7

• 11-04-2020 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

My immersion switch: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horstmann-Electronic-Water-Heater-Multi/dp/B0031SCQMI

I can't figure out how my immersion works. We moved into a flat recently and the landlord has already set the timer but I would like to know more.

The hot water is for the shower and sinks. When I moved into the flat it was already switched to "timer" and was set to come on at 06:00-08:00, 17:00-19:00, and 21:30-23:00.

What I am trying to figure out is what would happen if I switched off the timer and put it to the "off" position. Would I still get hot water during day but just on demand as opposed to timer? Does this immersion only work with timer then?

Are the times currently set by landlord ensure the most economically efficient way because the water stays warm therefore avoiding heating up cooler water?

Also I would have thought that these new immersions have internal thermostats that switch off automatically once the water is warm enough? Because it looks like the timer stays on during the full programme despite us not using much hot water during the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Terre wrote: »
    What I am trying to figure out is what would happen if I switched off the timer and put it to the "off" position. Would I still get hot water during day but just on demand as opposed to timer? Does this immersion only work with timer then?

If you set it to 'off', it stays off. That's the setting you put it to when you go away for a few days.

There is no permanent 'on' setting. If you want to override the timer, you hit the 'boost' button which turns it on for one hour, then returns to timer mode.
    Are the times currently set by landlord ensure the most economically efficient way because the water stays warm therefore avoiding heating up cooler water?

Depends on your usage. Don't listen to anyone who says that it's most economcal if you leave it on all day. Because that involves continuously topping up to replaced the lost heat.
    Also I would have thought that these new immersions have internal thermostats that switch off automatically once the water is warm enough? Because it looks like the timer stays on during the full programme despite us not using much hot water during the day.

They do have thermostats, otherwise the element would heat the water to boiling and there would be steam blowing into the attic. If nobody uses hot water and the tank is well insulated, the initial heat should hold for about two hours. So it won't make much difference if each timer cycle is 60, 90 or 120 minutes.

http://horstmann.securemeters.com/index.php/index.php/product/heating-and-hot-water-controls/electric-water-heating-controls/electronic-7/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

So just to confirm there is no top of energy between programmes unless we hit the "boost" button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So just to confirm there is no top of energy between programmes unless we hit the "boost" button?

Yes.
    I can't figure out how my immersion works.

http://horstmann.securemeters.com/files/6414/7987/2538/Electronic_7_User.pdf

Advertisement