Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think you'd have dealt with Covid-19 as a child/teenager?

Options
  • 11-04-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭

I think as a kid I'd have been a bit worried about it but I'd have liked the time of school but would have done the work.
    As a teenager I'd have been grumpy about being at home all the time but I'd have been spoiled rotten with DVD's and stuff. I'd have been a disaster with the school work tough. I'd say I wouldn't have done much and would do anything to get out of it.
    I was 18 when I went to college and would have probably being in the pub on the Thursday morning or pre-drinking. The whole college being closed wouldn't have registered until Friday with my group and then I'd have went home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

As a teenager I would have wanked my way through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Based on my observations of young teenagers during this so far?

The Tik Tok app. They practically live on it

I'd absolutely love to be 18 or younger right now and not have this stress

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

I am dealing with it fine now (I'm 30) but if it happened 10-12 years ago I would've lost the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Would have been a dream come through. Had a pretty simple childhood growing up on a farm in a rural area. So would have worked away on that all week. I hated school (but was good at school and did well academically) and often dreamed of the school burning down (It never did!)
    Outside of summer holidays we didn’t travel much, the furthest we got was Wales on day trips! My parents did travel though. My mother didn’t work outside the home really. We hadn’t much money but had a very modest lifestyle by today’s standards. Reckon we’d have coped very well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I would have been living every day in perpetual fear. I was afraid of everything as a kid/teen. Remember when they turned on the Large Hadron Collider? I was convinced the world was gonna be consumed by a black hole. The end of the Mayan calendar, what was it 2012? Whenever there was a mention of a meteor passing close by Earth. A weird looking light in the night sky, where I was convinced it was aliens.

Now? I literally do not give a single f*ck about anything. I went from pure wimp to a heart of stone. Good thing? Bad thing? Mix of both? Probably the latterr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Primary school my mam would have dragged me out for a walk each day. Then I'd probably be a combination of being glued to the TV, reading a book or some type of art and craft.

I worked in a supermarket in 4th and 5th year, so I'd be busy working.

If this happened in 6th year, I really don't know... I'm not the most motivated when it comes to studying. I think I'd find the postponement very distracting.

My bedroom definitely wouldn't be getting tidied though :D

I doubt the severity of the situation would have registered.

While I've kept to the rules here... I think as a teenager I'd have probably snucked out with the boyfriend... Accidentally on purpose meeting them on walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think I'd have been worried but ok. I was a lot less anxious then. I worked in a nursing home from 15 on so would have been kept busy there no doubt. I would definitely have followed the rules. My Leaving Cert would have been f#cked without school though. No way could I have studied at home in that chaotic environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Sam Hain wrote: »
    As a teenager I would have wanked my way through it.

Don't be giving away the government's top secret plan for phase 2 of the Covid 19 crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I definitely wouldn't have gone the month without the shift.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

No difference, I barely went outside when I was a kid, constantly on the Nintendo and would stay in my bedroom for days on end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If I was a teenager, I'd be out with my friends

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Think I’d have done what most kids do: adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I feel so sorry for kids who were supposed to be doing the leaving this year. I remember at that age all I wanted to do is finish the bloody thing and go to college and not have to be a kid in a uniform ever again. This has really got to be tough for them right now I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

tedpan wrote: »
    No difference, I barely went outside when I was a kid, constantly on the Nintendo and would stay in my bedroom for days on end..

I'd say you are finding it easy staying in all day now then with all that experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Apart from not going to school, I lived as a child isolated in a rural setting. It wouldn't have made much difference to me at all.

I'm in a town center now and it's horrible not being able to go out whenever I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

AllForIt wrote: »
    Apart from not going to school, I lived as a child isolated in a rural setting. It wouldn't have made much difference to me at all.

I'm in a town center now and it's horrible not being able to go out whenever I want.

You can go out whenever you want. Just avoid the pubs, clubs and restaurants which shouldn't be an issue. And don't be rambling off to the next town over. Try not to cough on the neighbours when you greet them from a 2 metre distance. Those are the draconian rules imposed by our alien overlords. We are a long way from a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

paddythere wrote:
    I'd say you are finding it easy staying in all day now then with all that experience?

The funny thing is I don't play video games anymore. I'm not loving the situation as I have three dogs and can only go for a walk at 6am or 1am as my estate has become a jogger/cyclist/ walker paradise. Never seen so many people outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Beholders

Jayus I don't know,

My nieces and Nephews seem to be doing just fine, using social media to talk to their friends and using youtube to learn new skills that they are passionate about, example football tricks and dancing. (they also seem to understand the gravitation of the situation ages 9 to 16)

I know this isn't the question but if it happened to me as a teenager, with the things I had to communicate back them in 1981. I would be devastated, but after a couple of weeks sulking I would end up entertaining myself.

One thing I do worry about is teenagers stressing about exams, the leaving cert when you are 21 (age may be wrong, but it's either 21/22) means nothing for getting into college cause you can apply as a mature student, as most people haven't a clue what they want to do for the rest of their lives after leaving school, believe me I passed as many courses that I dropped out of because of the way the system is geared towards achieving. The courses I qualified in where the ones I was passionate about and thankfully they helped me create my own company.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Grew up on a farm two miles from the nearest village, in the time (just about) before internet. I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

That being said, I think that most people would have been better able to deal with it back then. Not necessarily because they were 'stronger' people, but because you didn't have 24 hour scaremongering on social media at your fingertips, the need/"right' to have access to everything you wanted wasn't as strong, so on and so forth.

Advertisement