Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts on Boards - Mobile Version

Options
  • 11-04-2020 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

I surf boards on my android phone.

Regularly an advert pops up covering the index of threads as I'm reading down it looking for something interesting.

Its annoying but I understand the bills have to be paid.

The feedback I would like to provide is what happens when I try to get it off my screen.

Instead of simply going away when I 'X' it out it wants to ask questions while blocking the threads further. Its almost like its taking it personally..Of.course I like cars etc but I just want to read the forum. Neither do I want to say to it that I dont like cars etc. Why doesnt it just basically feck off when I click the 'X' ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

HI masculinist, are you using the desktop version of the site on a mobile? The desktop version is not intended for such a small screen and this is the reason why the ads seem to be displaced in order to display. They are usually Google ads so we can't adjust how they react to you trying to click out of them unfortunately. We recommend using http://touch.boards.ie for mobile browsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Hi Niamh

No I'm using the mobile version on a mobile phone

Theres literally nothing i can do to stop it uncovering my page except to navigate away from the page and then try find where I left off

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Oh really? Could you grab a screenshot the next time that it happens and post it here please? Thanks a million.

Oh really? Could you grab a screenshot the next time that it happens and post it here please? Thanks a million.

I certainly will thanks

Ive uploaded a few screenshots using my android phone.
    I always view Boards in chrome because its easier to leave a bookmark to my profile.

The advert appears
    I struggle to close it.
    It asks me questions. "Why this ad" if clicked will navigate me totally away from Boards and onto some Google blurb page.
    Everything else ultimately leads to a blank page with no way to "X" it out. Frustratingly its just a large white canvas glued to the screen. And the only way out is to get off the page which it rudely interrupted.
    Clicking "Ad covered content" leads to a blank square which covers almost everything with no "X" on it. Its almost like Google ads is trolling. You'll see that in the screenshot.
    "Ad closed by Google" is stuck there permanently.

• Advertisement

quite clearly theres no way to close this and hence its the most intrusive ever while generating revenue for nobody because its blank ,.it cant be moved and it permanently blocks the middle of the page. It also follows you blocking with a blank spot if you try changing tabs to "my forums_ , "trending" , "Thanks" etc. It persuades to leave the site instead of persuading to hang around for an ad you like.
    Even the worst of the spammiest sites have a way to close their intrusive adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

that's the full site (desktop version) you're viewing, try the touch site, there's a link at the bottom of the page

that's the full site (desktop version) you're viewing, try the touch site, there's a link at the bottom of the page

but look at this screenshot attachment.

The checkbox for "Desktop site" is unchecked and if checked then it changes from what it is now. How is what it is now not the mobile version ?

but look at this screenshot attachment.

The checkbox for "Desktop site" is unchecked and if checked then it changes from what it is now. How is what it is now not the mobile version ?

Ah so theres a difference between "touch" version and "mobile" version ?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi masculinist,

I've tried testing the Desktop Site check in Chrome's options here, but it reverted to touch site correctly for me when desktop site was unchecked. That doesn't seem to be the case for you however. The best thing to do would be to navigate directly to touch.boards.ie . If your browser redirects to boards.ie and you get the same view as you have done in the past, it would be best to clear your cache and then click on the Touch site link in the footer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement