Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N tabard

Options
  • 11-04-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Quick question for ye: Passed my bike driving test a few months ago. Just wondering do I have to wear N tabard for the 2 years? Passed the cage test over 10 years before that. Thanks in advanceðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

According to RSA if you've a full license in any category for more than two years then any additional categories do not require you to display an N plate, so you should be good without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Doyler365

cython wrote: »
    According to RSA if you've a full license in any category for more than two years then any additional categories do not require you to display an N plate, so you should be good without one.

Cheers, I taught that alright. I pulled into a checkpoint on the way home from work yesterday and they asked where's the N tabard. And I explained all that. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep the N plate or tabard applies to the first licence you get for two years, but not to any other classes you get after the two years is up.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

How about the L plate?

I want to put an L plate below my number plate on the back instead of the N tabard , is this legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jim salter wrote: »
    How about the L plate?

I want to put an L plate below my number plate on the back instead of the N tabard , is this legal?

Nope, the tabard is the only thing now.

• Advertisement

Incidentally, the cars you see with both N and L plates are illegal for anyone to drive.

L plate driver can't display an N

N plate driver can't display an L

Fully qualified driver can't display either

Sure sign of an idiot, steer clear

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Incidentally, the cars you see with both N and L plates are illegal for anyone to drive.

I'm pretty sure there isn't an offence for displaying a plate you shouldn't be. A learner driver has to display an L plate and a novice driver has to display an N plate.

It does annoy me though, the wife and I call them Dutch drivers because they are showing NL.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

liamog wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there isn't an offence for displaying a plate you shouldn't be. A learner driver has to display an L plate and a novice driver has to display an N plate.

It does annoy me though, the wife and I call them Dutch drivers because they are showing NL.

They are probably sharing a car. One of my neighbours has both displayed on their 2nd car. Daughter just got her full license and son is a learner driver. Kids are sharing the car with their mother who also teaches the son how to drive. It's an old banger.

The main car is reserved for mother and father. Makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In the UK its an offence to display an L plate if you have a full licence but in Ireland there's no such law. There's also no law saying that a leaner can't display an N plate, the law is that they need to display a L but doesn't restrict what else is displayed.

The sign of the driver being an idiot is when they fit the N or L plate wrong.

This is the motorbike forum, the question from the OP was specificially about wearing an N tabard after passing their bike test.

Why the hell is anyone talking about a law that doesn't exist in Ireland and is completely irrelevant to the thread and the question?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Why the hell is anyone talking about a law that doesn't exist in Ireland and is completely irrelevant to the thread and the question?

The staying at home has melted their brains? :pac:

Del2005 wrote: »
    In the UK its an offence to display an L plate if you have a full licence but in Ireland there's no such law. There's also no law saying that a leaner can't display an N plate, the law is that they need to display a L but doesn't restrict what else is displayed.

Which makes the whole idea of plates pointless, it's supposed to inform other road users about the qualificaiton level of the driver who is currently driving, not that of someone else who might share that vehicle

Oh and Jim, that's why it's relevant to a motorcycle forum, other drivers' behaviour is a big threat to our safety.

Which makes the whole idea of plates pointless, it's supposed to inform other road users about the qualificaiton level of the driver who is currently driving, not that of someone else who might share that vehicle

Oh and Jim, that's why it's relevant to a motorcycle forum, other drivers' behaviour is a big threat to our safety.

Still not relevant.

I have been driving for 30 years. Last time I was on a bike was 1994.

I'm now back on bikes and am displaying an 'L' - does that reflect the 'qualification' level of my road experience - no, it doesn't.

Plus, as was answered in the second post, once a holder of a full licence in another category passes their test, they are not required to display an 'N' tabard.

Regardless of what one is driving (and especially on a bike) other drivers' behaviour is the big threat to our safety.

Again, the comment had no relation to the OP question

Still not relevant.

I have been driving for 30 years. Last time I was on a bike was 1994.

I'm now back on bikes and am displaying an 'L' - does that reflect the 'qualification' level of my road experience - no, it doesn't.

you don't hold a full motorcycle licence, so yes it does.
    Plus, as was answered in the second post, once a holder of a full licence in another category passes their test, they are not required to display an 'N' tabard.

Because they've passed their test for the class in question, and have over two years of a full licence in another category, so are not a novice road user.
    Again, the comment had no relation to the OP question

Neither do yours.
    I wasn't aware of any rule that we're not allowed to talk about issues related to the OP's post, but maybe when you make moderator you can bring that rule in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

This is the motorbike forum, the question from the OP was specificially about wearing an N tabard after passing their bike test.

An now we have a thread about the relevance of the thread :D

Advertisement