Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of the Journal.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The Journal is regular tabloid fare IMO.
    The comments section is Daily Mail territory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Surely for there to be a decline, there had to have been something 'grander' from which to decline :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

coinop wrote: »
    Typical Journal.ie commentator:
    Don't ever read the article, just the headline. Get outraged. Get into a never-ending back and forth with a fellow dole-lifer that nobody else will ever read. Repeat with every single article on the site. Fake twitter profile is obligatory. It wouldn't surprise me if the rumours were true and that the biggest troll accounts were run by the Journal staff to stir the pot and generate clicks.

The correct way to comment on a journal.ie article is to work out your instant gut reaction, and do no research, and lob it your fellow commenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

All of their opinion pieces were from left wing activists. Then their regular writers also skewed articles to push towards a more Liberal approach. I do look at it a lot but I cannot fund such a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's great as a high level news source. I.e read the headline and first paragraph and move on.

Other than that, the quality of journalism is poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Steve wrote: »
    Can't say, assassins creed forbids it.

Seeing as you don't know what you're talking about here is your boss stating, two months ago, that Journal Media owns boards and has done since 2018.
    For clarification, Journal Media Ltd own TheJournal.ie and Noteworthy.ie (plus The42.ie and Fora.ie). They have also owned Boards.ie since October 2018 (https://www.boards.ie/...ad.php?t=2057904013) so we are all in the same company and we occasionally post Noteworthy sponsored posts.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112566106&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Surprised SF HQ don't donate a few quid to keep that mouthpiece going.

Deleted the app a few months ago.

Huge relief, blatant pro SF anti everyone else rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have tried to register on the site to comment a couple of times, via my twitter account, but then I post a comment and it just never shows... Anyone else had this problem?
    I really don't want to join the darkest depths of humanity by commenting on the site but sometimes commenters annoy me so much I feel like responding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's wrong with a 2:2?

Nothing at all wrong with an honest, hard-earned Desmond.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

The Journal == shít

self absorbed types believing they are better thnk anyone else in the comment section.

As for journalism - complete joke and most of them couldn't spell correctly

Hope it crashes and burns like Balls.ie, Maclife and all the other shít online publications that should be burned down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

The comment section was a combination of far right racism and IRA praising lefties. They are often the same people. Was banned last year for basically pointing out that SF thought We where not taking in enough refugees to a poster who regularly posted praising SF and their policies .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Was banned from commenting, haven't used it since, funny I was banned , when often the comments I made , would get the most amount of likes. Like rte etc , they don't want any debate, it's their PC wont someone think of the children way or the highway!

I don't agree with you on most stuff but you are completely on the money here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've womdered about this problem in general, and I personally find that I need very little journalism in my life. Most of it is not important news, it's minor news and opinions, and I don't feel the need to pay for that, frankly. Where businesses or people (such as politicians) have something to promote, the internet means that they're quite capable of doing it themselves these days, without the assistance of journalism.

This is not a new thing, but it appears to me that media outlets use their coverage of big news to justify all the other stuff they do under the banner of "journalism". Back when newspapers were the main thing, I rarely paid for those either. I commuted in London and could get a free ad-supported copy of the Metro if I wanted it.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I have tried to register on the site to comment a couple of times, via my twitter account, but then I post a comment and it just never shows... Anyone else had this problem?
    I really don't want to join the darkest depths of humanity by commenting on the site but sometimes commenters annoy me so much I feel like responding.

Me too. We must be banned in advance 😲

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Please take Joe.ie next. The absolute pits of so called journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I actually didn’t know Journalists worked for the journal.

I thought they just copied news stories from other media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Used to read it for the comments alone, but even they have become boring and unimaginative.

When they started the series, 25 Year old software engineer on 250K how I spend my money.... or 40 year old earning 50K how i spend my money... it was too much BS to even read... Absolutely not in the real world or with any semblance of reality.

Cannot abide the pro-left stance on everything, its like watching CNN. (Mind you I dont watch FOX either)

It has too many opinion pieces which are sooooo far out there it makes me want to puke.

Would I miss it? Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I actually didn’t know Journalists worked for the journal.

I thought they just copied news stories from other media outlets.

Heard a couple of them asking a question at the health briefings took a double take

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

NSAman wrote: »
    Used to read it for the comments alone, but even they have become boring and unimaginative.

When they started the series, 25 Year old software engineer on 250K how I spend my money.... or 40 year old earning 50K how i spend my money... it was too much BS to even read... Absolutely not in the real world or with any semblance of reality.

Cannot abide the pro-left stance on everything, its like watching CNN. (Mind you I dont watch FOX either)

It has too many opinion pieces which are sooooo far out there it makes me want to puke.

Would I miss it? Nope!

I love them "how I spend my Money " articles. The comments get so so salty when there is somebody doing well in life. It's almost like the Journal comment sections is full of workshy lefties.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Won’t someone think of Matt Cooper?

Don’t they own this website?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Remember the time one of them emailed every TD to ask have they heard of Beyonce? A teenage Transition Year project would be more professional!
    I think the worst ever excuse for journalism on it tho was an article in the aftermath of a tragic murder suicide afew years ago in the midlands, they portrayed the victims and community as soft auld rural bog dwellers, and then insinuated that one of the victims was the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The 42 has superb League of Ireland articles which can be difficult to find in other Irish media.

The Irish for.... is pretty witty I like it

Less articles on direct provision though, it’s their favourite subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

bnt wrote: »
    I've womdered about this problem in general, and I personally find that I need very little journalism in my life. Most of it is not important news, it's minor news and opinions, and I don't feel the need to pay for that, frankly. Where businesses or people (such as politicians) have something to promote, the internet means that they're quite capable of doing it themselves these days, without the assistance of journalism.

This is not a new thing, but it appears to me that media outlets use their coverage of big news to justify all the other stuff they do under the banner of "journalism". Back when newspapers were the main thing, I rarely paid for those either. I commuted in London and could get a free ad-supported copy of the Metro if I wanted it.

The online "news" media has created a vicious circle - to get punters in they need clickbait which can in some slightly alchemic fashion create hard journalism which accounts for only a small faction the total output so we see fluff and nonsense opinion items and lists dominating a given website and think it contemptible, wish it gone and visit less often. So ad revenue falls and the expensive real journalism gets cut back the site becomes even more disposable and eventually they run out of eyeballs/ad revenue.

And yet no-one would ever pay for a journal.ie subscription were that considered as a business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Whatever about the Journal when the Indo app put most of their articles behind a paywall I deleted it immediately and dont miss it at all since. Im not sure how they thought that people would actually be willing to pay to read what Rosanna Davison had for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

coinop wrote: »

She's a lady, but she got unsurprisingly roasted in that thread-or to be fair, her employer did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I embarrassed them once into changing one of their headlines, they had a Leaving Cert article titled "Girls leave Boys in the halfpenny place", so I went all faux outraged in their comments section, some other social media picked up on the comment and a while later they changed it. They are bottom feeders

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The thing with all these sites including Joe, lovin and the indo is they live and breath on clicks.

If they didn't get the traffic they wouldn't survive but as they do they will - regardless of how many people give out about their quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

silverharp wrote: »
    I embarrassed them once into changing one of their headlines, they had a Leaving Cert article titled "Girls leave Boys in the halfpenny place", so I went all faux outraged in their comments section, some other social media picked up on the comment and a while later they changed it. They are bottom feeders

Somehow, I doubt the outrage was “faux”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement