Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The decline of the Journal.ie

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

journal.ie did itself a disservice on two fronts.

- getting rid of up/ down voting. It was primarily done because the green/ red thumbs weren't usually reflective of whatever left wing love in they were having on a particular story (that direct provision is abhorrent, for one example)

- launching a regular fact checking feature around the same time as the Ibrahim Halawa saga was in the news, and repeatedly declining to do a fact check on that comedy case.

Maybe whatever quangos they were representing will bail them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I find it the easiest to read of all the news apps. I just ignore the comments.

Other news apps full of ads and videos in the middle of the articles, drive me mad.

Irish Examiner is all that’s left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

What's wrong with a 2:2?

Nothing wrong with a Desmond, but they should be doing better in a communication degree.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Irish Examiner is all that’s left now.

Owned by the Irish Times.

• Advertisement

Owned by the Irish Times.

But free. I don’t care who owns them.

Thought they were one and the same but seems Journal Media own the Journal, Daft ie and Adverts.

Distilled Media owns boards

Could be wrong.

Never been a big reader of the journal, some good journalists started there though (Gavin Reilly).

Thought fora.ie was quite good actually.

Found some fora articles where they've gotten some basic financial concepts wrong, but there was no obvious way of commenting or contacting them about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

coinop wrote: »
    Galaxy-brain logic right there. We shouldn't relish in an organ harvesting factory in China closing because "muh job losses". Ethics? What are they?

Yes, obviously I think organ harvesting factories in China should stay open. That’s exactly the same thing as feeling sorry for Irish journalists who have lost their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Blaze420 wrote: »
    For most news it’s ok as a generic “oh this happened today?” resource. For opinions or anything else it’s pointless, a feminist one sided rag. Just like their section The Daily Edge a few years back, snowflake college literary students given a platform to ply their woe is me I am wahmen ****e on the masses.

Ha this is spot on. I used it in its early years but it quickly turned into what you described so I deleted it. Will be dissapointed to see The42 go. I thought it was brilliant, had great rugby coverage and good LOI coverage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Are you ever reading an article and while you're processing what is being presented a question comes to your mind. A nagging, gnawing question that only festers and grows as you continue to read now rather hurriedly through the waffling repitition of the original point only to come to the end of said article without your question ever being addressed?

I stopped reading articles on the Journal because of this. Its less journalism and more activism.

Investigative journalism is very important and unfortunately on life support in our current time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

they're political alignment is very clear

stories about travellers and muslims - downplayed, featuring a pr piece from some organisation that loves them and the comments section closed.

commenters banned for anything even vaguely dissenting on topics.

you can bash white people, men, the Catholic Church, FF, FG or SF all day , but say bad things about the social democrats or PbP and out on your ear you go.

Their OP ed pieces are just left wing propaganda and taking Saoirse 'Marx' Mchugh as a columnist cemented it.

Its the morning star trying to pretend to be the guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Unpaid unemployed graduates desperate for a portfolio & trying to gain favour and get paid after few years of kotowing and turning out left wing government and site approved badly written guff. Comments screened and censored for years while they ignored their downward trends and readers, while advertisers abandoned them in droves. What else could you expect feom such leftie out of touch propaganda. People have better things to be doing - in fact anything was a better thing to be doing that reding the Journal. Body bag it and sling it into a shallow grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Eh, do you guys realise that this site is part of the same group? I would imagine the Journal is more profitable than boards so if the Journal fails...

What group is this?

Don't get the hate for The Journal on here, haven't read it much but if it irks certain types on here maybe it's doing something right and is worth checking out.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    What group is this?

Don't get the hate for The Journal on here, haven't read it much but if it irks certain types on here maybe it's doing something right and is worth checking out.

HEY EVERYONE, COME CHECK OUT THE TYPOS ON THIS NEWS WEBSITE!

Unpaid unemployed graduates desperate for a portfolio & trying to gain favour and get paid after few years of kotowing and turning out left wing government and site approved badly written guff. Comments screened and censored for years while they ignored their downward trends and readers, while advertisers abandoned them in droves. What else could you expect feom such leftie out of touch propaganda. People have better things to be doing - in fact anything was a better thing to be doing that reding the Journal. Body bag it and sling it into a shallow grave.

"badly written guff"? See above for a prime example of irony :pac:

"left wing government"? what are you on about?

McGaggs wrote: »
    HEY EVERYONE, COME CHECK OUT THE TYPOS ON THIS NEWS WEBSITE!

:confused:

Advertisement