Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda 50

Options
  • 11-04-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have a 1979 honda 50. Has been lying up for 1p years but nothing is ceases. It is in good condition.
    I have a new spark plug and it's working. Carb is clean. Sometimes it will start and run for a split second when the choke is on.
    When the airflow is open it will not show any sign of starting.
    Smoke comes out the exhaust so I know somthing has to be happening. It was going grand before being parked up.
    Does anyone have any ideas . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Old petrol, gunked up fuel lines, gunked up fuel filter if there is one, gunked up carb.

You say the carb is clean so have you removed and opened it? Does the float and needle valve work correctly?

You could try some easy start just to get it to fire up and see what happens.

Ideally you'd have put a couple of teaspoons of engine oil into the cylinder and kicked it over a few times with the plug out and ignition off just to get some lubrication on the rings and cylinder walls.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Charlie r

Old petrol, gunked up fuel lines, gunked up fuel filter if there is one, gunked up carb.

You say the carb is clean so have you removed and opened it? Does the float and needle valve work correctly?

You could try some easy start just to get it to fire up and see what happens.

Ideally you'd have put a couple of teaspoons of engine oil into the cylinder and kicked it over a few times with the plug out and ignition off just to get some lubrication on the rings and cylinder walls.

All pipes clear and carb cleaned out . It will start with the shot of easy start but cuts out instantly. I am going to check the compression

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What is the compression figure?
    Could be stuck/seized rings but if it fires then its probably fuel.
    How did you clean the carb? The passages are very small inside and one small piece of varnish or corrosion will stop it running.
    I would suggest ultrasound cleaning rather than trying to spray carb cleaner through it.

Tank clean no rust? inline fuel filter in place?

Float height set correctly?

Advertisement