Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kings Island/Corbally Meadow walks

• 12-04-2020 1:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

I see the Kings Island walk in advertised locally and online is it a safe walk?
    I walked past the start point going to the Mill road walk and could hear lots of motorbikes
    Also on my walk my first time noticing the Corbally Meadow sign on the left going out from town is this private or public land?And can you walk down it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

bigpink wrote: »
    I see the Kings Island walk in advertised locally and online is it a safe walk?
    I walked past the start point going to the Mill road walk and could hear lots of motorbikes
    Also on my walk my first time noticing the Corbally Meadow sign on the left going out from town is this private or public land?And can you walk down it?

If it's the walkway around St Mary's Park they're talking about then it's still broken in one part and very overgrown on the parts flanking the abbey river. Most people will only walk from the public baths and go as far as the handball alley and turn back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If it's the walkway around St Mary's Park they're talking about then it's still broken in one part and very overgrown on the parts flanking the abbey river. Most people will only walk from the public baths and go as far as the handball alley and turn back.

Well a only saw the sign and the entrance by the Athlunkard Rowing Club but i didnt walk down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

To update deffo not recommened to do these walks

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

bigpink wrote: »
    To update deffo not recommened to do these walks

can you elaborate? for which reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

damowill wrote: »
    can you elaborate? for which reasons?

People should definitely stay away from the area where the public baths and community centre are by St Mary's Park, Verdant Place and Island View Terrace. You've got crack heads now hanging around that area buying their drugs and smoking up. Area has really gone to the dogs in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

People should definitely stay away from the area where the public baths and community centre are by St Mary's Park, Verdant Place and Island View Terrace. You've got crack heads now hanging around that area buying their drugs and smoking up. Area has really gone to the dogs in the last few years.

thought it was always like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

I went for a cycle around St.Marys walk last week. No trouble encountered. Maybe I was fortunate but there was plenty of people out doing the same so I wouldn't say its a no go.

There was a gang of youths accumulated in the handball alley alright so i didn't linger around. The path has deteriorated in lots of places and has collapsed near the alley. You can still get around this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Can I ask about the Corbally walk that takes you from Mill Road to Grove Island/O’Dwyer’s Bridge by the railway line? How clear is it? Is it safe? Is it private land? Do you go under or cross over the railway line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Can I ask about the Corbally walk that takes you from Mill Road to Grove Island/O’Dwyer’s Bridge by the railway line? How clear is it? Is it safe? Is it private land? Do you go under or cross over the railway line?

I walked it last week for the first time in Three years. I started from O'Dwyer Bridge side. It's very overgrown but possible to walk it in single file. There is an underpass at the railway line just a bit further down from the old crossing point which means you don't have to worry about crossing. The far side is the same except that the path is a lot more uneven so watch your footing. Some of the old benches there are in good nick so you can stop for a rest. I only met a few polish lads out enjoying the sun with a few cans so I'd say safe enough. Afaik it's council land, It would be lovely if they could clean it up, fix the footpath and link it to the red path to make a fine big loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

adaminho wrote: »
    I walked it last week for the first time in Three years. I started from O'Dwyer Bridge side. It's very overgrown but possible to walk it in single file. There is an underpass at the railway line just a bit further down from the old crossing point which means you don't have to worry about crossing. The far side is the same except that the path is a lot more uneven so watch your footing. Some of the old benches there are in good nick so you can stop for a rest. I only met a few polish lads out enjoying the sun with a few cans so I'd say safe enough. Afaik it's council land, It would be lovely if they could clean it up, fix the footpath and link it to the red path to make a fine big loop.

I walked it a while back and one thing I'd say is that there are some areas where the giant hogweed can be very hard to get passed, so you'd want your legs and arms covered to be on the safe side. It really is a shame it's been left to fall into such disrepair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement