Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuse box in my shed upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At the risk of poking the bear with a stick, and yes I am in savage humour today because of other unrelated issues, when is a distribution board not a distribution board?

What I mean is that a board in a shed, protected by one or more device in the main house board can be completely and utterly isolated from all potentials by switching it off, unlike the main board in the house, which still has unswitched potential in it even if the main switch is off. So, technically, while it has circuit breakers and the like in it, from a safety point of view, it is no more dangerous than a multi gang light switch, in that if it is isolated, it has no potentials that could be hazardous.

Yes, I'm probably hair splitting, but I am getting increasingly tired of vested interests making it impossible for anyone other than their club members to do certain things, and I know all the arguments about dangerous things being done by people who don't know what they are doing, we see them here on a regular basis, but the same could be said about some of the people working in the industry, I've seen things that never should have been certified and connected, but they were, and no one said a thing, even on recent work.

It would be much easier if the relevant regulations were readily available for all to see, but of course, that would then mean that the same clubs were open to challenge, and of course, the last thing they want is for the great unwashed to be aware of what the rules really are, as it would also open their members up to being challenged on some of the things that are done.

Cynical? Maybe, but in over 50 years of working very closely with electrics and electronics across a wide range of areas, I've seen a lot of changes, and not all of those changes have been in the best interest of the end users and consumers.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yes, I'm probably hair splitting, but I am getting increasingly tired of vested interests making it impossible for anyone other than their club members to do certain things, and I know all the arguments about dangerous things being done by people who don't know what they are doing, we see them here on a regular basis, but the same could be said about some of the people working in the industry, I've seen things that never should have been certified and connected, but they were, and no one said a thing, even on recent work.

It would be much easier if the relevant regulations were readily available for all to see, but of course, that would then mean that the same clubs were open to challenge, and of course, the last thing they want is for the great unwashed to be aware of what the rules really are, as it would also open their members up to being challenged on some of the things that are done.

Cynical? Maybe, but in over 50 years of working very closely with electrics and electronics across a wide range of areas, I've seen a lot of changes, and not all of those changes have been in the best interest of the end users and consumers.

Vested interests pure and simple.

When a person advises to ignore gardai instructions, but to dis-obey reci/safe-electric etc is unacceptable, vested interest seems an understatement.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wearb wrote: »
    I now understand the issues involved.

Great.
    Here is a pic of the meter box. I'll check the resistance later.

Now that you know that you are TNCS you can remove the sticker form your board warning you not to connect to a TNCS system :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

2011 wrote: »
    Great.

Now that you know that you are TNCS you can remove the sticker form your board warning you not to connect to a TNCS system :)
    If only I'd known it was so simple from the start :)

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Well If it was me i would still be checking the shed DB.

If it was originally connected to a generator, they may have linked the N and E bars in it. Probably not, but i would be checking.

If it was a double pole switch to it from the house DB, it would be simple enough to test.

I wouldnt want to be accused of being a criminal though:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The shed sub-board may even be neutralized. It could even have a common earth and neutral bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Removing the cover is illegal.

would depend on whether the shed was for domestic or commercial use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

dathi wrote: »
    would depend on whether the shed was for domestic or commercial use

Would it though

Wouldn't it still be a domestic installation

Hintel wrote: »
    Would it though

Wouldn't it still be a domestic installation

I would think that we could only know for sure if this was tested in court (which in reality is only a very remote possibility).

Here are some pics of my shed DB. Got a sparks working next door to check it's safety.

• Advertisement

Looks ok there anyway.

+1

The incoming supply cable is not an SWA and it looks like it is smaller than 10 mm sq.

Clearly the earth in the incoming supply cable is terminated in this board. Obviously we can’t say if the other end is terminated.

This board is not neutralized which is good news.

As far as I remember the swa and the t+e are joined in that denso covered box that I mentioned earlier. The shed was pre wired to that box when I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

Has to be said

What are the test results

Advertisement