Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing a radiator without draining the system

• 12-04-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello,

I had been intending for a while to paint one of our rooms and would need to remove the radiator. I was sure it was not a big deal to remove one radiator without needing to drain the system but my father told me no and that it was a “big messy job”. I assumed he was correct and let the job go undone.

I decided to do the painting this week and looked up what was required to remove the radiator and there are several sources that show it is possible to remove just one without draining the system.

My father does have plumbing experience and knowledge so wouldn’t have been just spoofing.

Is there any reason why it couldn’t be done?

The radiator itself is a little natty and I might just replace it rather than try to clean or paint it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Yeah it's easy enough. This guy shows how to do it:
    https://youtu.be/BlTjyjeIWUM

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭WastedYouth

doylefe wrote: »
    Yeah it's easy enough. This guy shows how to do it

The video shows there is a bit more to it than I knew about but essentially yes this is originally how easy I thought it should be.

Thank you.

doylefe wrote: »
    Yeah it's easy enough. This guy shows how to do it

Would there be any negative effect if I didn’t put a new radiator on right away and just cap the two pipes?

Depend on the size of the radiator you are removing and the overall size of your system, you might want to save the water and put it back in the overflow tank before putting the rad back on, or topping up with inhibitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A couple of months ago I painted some radiators for a friend and I have to say it was one of the most satisfying painting jobs I ever did. The difference it makes to an old shabby rad is unreal.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Would there be any negative effect if I didn’t put a new radiator on right away and just cap the two pipes?

No, it's just like having a radiator turned off / isolated for a period of time.

A couple of months ago I painted some radiators for a friend and I have to say it was one of the most satisfying painting jobs I ever did. The difference it makes to an old shabby rad is unreal.

There is a lot of rust and would be beyond my ability to salvage it I think.

Advertisement