Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip.ie stats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Are the RIP.ie deaths counted in this thread in the Republic of Ireland only?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

homah_7ft wrote: »
    Are the RIP.ie deaths counted in this thread in the Republic of Ireland only?

No, Irish residents who died living abroad are posted there too. The very high death rates of our closest neighbours may also be contributing to an increased number of posts on RIP.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

wakka12 wrote: »
    No, Irish residents who died living abroad are posted there too. The very high death rates of our closest neighbours may also be contributing to an increased number of posts on RIP.ie.

This is what I was wondering since I gave a one minute look at a particular county and it had a death that occurred in the United States of America. I don't know whether this is included in the twitter statistics as a death in Ireland or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I was thinking this. 2 of my uncles are down in RIP.ie, in the Meath category even though the 2 of them lived in the UK for 40 years before dying there. According to this "study" though they will be counted in Ireland's deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

KCross wrote: »
    Are you referring to this....
    https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1248216109356113920?s=20

I think you might be misinterpreting his "... and rising by c.5 per day" comment?

The key stat is that the 7-day average for 2020 is now c.45 notices/day higher than the average for the equivalent periods in 2016-20

45 per day for a month matches the OPs table where there is approx 1300 extra postings projected to rip.ie.

Are the increases in mortality rates in Dec-19 caused by flu? If so then we should probably be comparing Dec with Apr, not Apr-19 with Apr-20

• Advertisement

I posted this in another thread but have decided to post this here too, simply because it's relevant to the thread topic, and also it highlights how easy we can determine statistics for Nursing Homes in terms of deaths.

So, I have a distant elderly relative in a nursing home. The Nursing Home is based in the East of the country (Ireland).

By a simple google search, that took less than 5 minutes, I was able to determine that in the last 10 days, there were 7 recorded deaths in that particular nursing home (at least).

To say i'm worried is an understatement. While some of these death could well be from natural causes, there's no doubt in my mind that some are Covid-19 related as 7 deaths in 10 days just doesn't seem normal to me.

I won't dare mention this to my relatives- but I'm absolutely gutted and a lot more worried now than i was to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Darc19 wrote: »
    This makes no sense whatsoever.

A sort of scaremongering sensationalist post worthy of the daily mail/muck

As you state, not all deaths are published on rip. But due to restrictions, they are more likely to be published there this year.

And then you are second guessing figures for 2/3rds of the month.

Quick march yourself to the daily mail - they love people like you that can create hysterical nonsense

Ah the irony of how you're attacking the OP while branding them as lowbrow tabloid material on the basis of their posting.

On the basis of your posting I see you as an angry little man insulting others because you don't fully understand their motives or reasoning.

Why not follow your own advice.....quick, march yourself off to join an angry mob somewhere - They love belligerent insults being thrown around just cause they're bored and lack a bit of judgement and common sense.

* For the record the OP made no claims to have researched and published a white paper on the topic.... They just made a simple observation and posted it to our collective forum with the best of good intentions....They never deserved abuse from you or any other quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

As others have said I think this is a very interesting way to attempt to get a handle on Covid-related deaths. At least to compare them to the figures released by the CMO and team each evening.

Obviously there are flaws to the approach, but it is interesting and the spike in rip.ie deaths do tell a tale, albeit we need to caveat it ourselves.

D9Male wrote: »
    As others have said I think this is a very interesting way to attempt to get a handle on Covid-related deaths. At least to compare them to the figures released by the CMO and team each evening.

Obviously there are flaws to the approach, but it is interesting and the spike in rip.ie deaths do tell a tale, albeit we need to caveat it ourselves.

And also, with the use of google and RIP.ie together you can see certain levels of reported deaths in nursing homes throughout Ireland as long as the nursing home is referenced in the death notice, which it often is- again, this is no indication of covid-19 deaths in nursing homes, but 7 deaths within a 10 day period over the last week in 1 nursing home in the east of Ireland? Covid-19 has to be a factor there.
    I'm guessing that nursing homes may no longer be mentioned in RIP.ie notices once they cop on to this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Advertisement

any idea what happened in ~march 2018?

Snow

A LOT of snow.

Snow

A LOT of snow.

I wonder , it does conincide almost exactly with the period of the snow and then quickly returns to normal after that event

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I was thinking this. 2 of my uncles are down in RIP.ie, in the Meath category even though the 2 of them lived in the UK for 40 years before dying there. According to this "study" though they will be counted in Ireland's deaths.
    does it say in the death notice where they died/lived?

Snow

A LOT of snow.

it makes sense, but its not something i've ever really considered.

when it's cold in ireland alot more people die. kinda s/mad. i never really saw the point of the fuel allowance. that graphic has made me aware of its need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

any idea what happened in ~march 2018?

I was hospitalised with Aussie flu in March 2018. Perhaps it had an impact? The snow could have played a part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I posted this in another thread but have decided to post this here too, simply because it's relevant to the thread topic, and also it highlights how easy we can determine statistics for Nursing Homes in terms of deaths.

So, I have a distant elderly relative in a nursing home. The Nursing Home is based in the East of the country (Ireland).

By a simple google search, that took less than 5 minutes, I was able to determine that in the last 10 days, there were 7 recorded deaths in that particular nursing home (at least).

To say i'm worried is an understatement. While some of these death could well be from natural causes, there's no doubt in my mind that some are Covid-19 related as 7 deaths in 10 days just doesn't seem normal to me.

I won't dare mention this to my relatives- but I'm absolutely gutted and a lot more worried now than i was to date.

Are families told asap of confirmed positive cases in their relatives nursing homes? It is very sad to hear of so many deaths, I hope not for you PlentyOhToole, take care

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/some-covid-19-deaths-are-not-being-reported-coroner-warns-1.4229935%3fmode=amp

A Dublin coroner has warned about the underreporting of coronavirus deaths, so this thread is not baseless by any stretch of the imagination.

Why people want to shut down unpleasant truths baffles me. Surely the head in the sand approach is not great for the respiratory tract.

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/some-covid-19-deaths-are-not-being-reported-coroner-warns-1.4229935%3fmode=amp

A Dublin coroner has warned about the underreporting of coronavirus deaths, so this thread is not baseless by any stretch of the imagination.

Why people want to shut down unpleasant truths baffles me. Surely the head in the sand approach is not great for the respiratory tract.

it was never baseless as you say. avg deaths for the last 5 years vs this year. add on +/- 10% if you want to account for natural variance (and the weather anomalies) and it gives a good picture of where we're at.

how good is the data from RIP.ie to draw any meaningful conclusion? i would say its pretty good. its a relatively simple website. it reports deaths. I couldn't find where they source their info from however?

it makes sense, but its not something i've ever really considered.

when it's cold in ireland alot more people die. kinda s/mad. i never really saw the point of the fuel allowance. that graphic has made me aware of its need.
    https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1250383113252896768

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are families told asap of confirmed positive cases in their relatives nursing homes? It is very sad to hear of so many deaths, I hope not for you PlentyOhToole, take care

Hey- first of all many many thanks for the empathy and best wishes. I really do appreciate those kind words.

So, I can absolutely and categorically and truthfully state the following:

1. The East of the country Nursing home I mentioned in this thread, where there are AT LEAST 7 deaths recorded over 10 days in the month of April (as per a combo of RIP.ie and Google) - I can confirm that today they confirmed that COVID 19 was present in their nursing home. As per news reports, they also stated that now, they will test all staff and patients.

But I can also tell you truthfully that NO, ABSOLUTELY NO, that at no time since COVID became active in Ireland, did this nursing home phone next of kin to state COVID was present in the nursing home. And it has been there for at least the last 2 weeks

My post last night was as a result of my curiosity only- independent of anything that was planned today by govt announcements. What I can say is:

1. I’m fcking kicking myself I didn’t do my own independent research a week ago- again it would have only taken combining google with Rip.ie

2. The spouse of the person in question in the nursing home, who is aged themselves, has become very worried today with the public announcements and was desperately trying to get through to the nursing home - they fobbed that person off and kept them on hold - bastards

I made a call myself and was able to determine the above information

Like I said I’m kicking myself - TRUST was the biggest blocker here for inaction- we trusted that the nursing homes knew what they were doing

I know of one nursing home in the same county that is COVID free/ they shut down the home weeks ago including staff and provided onsite accommodation for staff and took temperatures of all daily- so why the fck did this nursing home not follow those procedures - bastards !

Sorry but I’m very annoyed because this could have been handled so much better/ a lot of lives could have been saved. With us being 2-3 weeks behind rest of Europe and considering the aged were most at risk and are the majority of deaths, why didn’t we start with protecting our most vulnerable first?

• Advertisement

Like I said I’m kicking myself - TRUST was the biggest blocker here for inaction- we trusted that the nursing homes knew what they were doing

I know of one nursing home in the same county that is COVID free/ they shut down the home weeks ago including staff and provided onsite accommodation for staff and took temperatures of all daily- so why the fck did this nursing home not follow those procedures ?
    how do you know they didn't

I’ve calmed down- I’d like to praise nursing homes up and down the country. I’ll leave my post unedited but would like to apologise for saying “bastards”- that’s not helpful. All nursing homes need and require our continued support- but major govt intervention is required rapidly

I do feel at least some deaths were avoidable -but look, hopefully now nursing homes will get the deserved support they require - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

s1ippy wrote: »

I don't understand but what exactly is the 'underreporting' of deaths?
    My understanding is that when a death occurs a death certificate must meticulously record the cause of death.

how do you know they didn't

They only announced last week that they were starting to confine all clients to their rooms- the death statistics show they should have done this much earlier- the staff come and go, they’res no onsite accommodation - what I’m learning very quickly is that some nursing homes were on top of this situation very quickly and put a lot more processes in place much quicker-and obviously some didn’t do as thorough a job for whatever reason.
    Many, and that includes the East of Ireland, are COVID free.

Look, as I said in my last post, I’ve supported nursing homes to date and after reflection and a lot of frustration as I hope you can appreciate I continue to support them - but they need desperately the support of the govt now

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I don't understand but what exactly is the 'underreporting' of deaths?
    My understanding is that when a death occurs a death certificate must meticulously record the cause of death.

The point is there are a more deaths than are being attributed to Covid 19. The inference is that ,whatever the stated cause of death on the certificate, you cannot dispute the macro picture of total deaths.

I have some experience of data accuracy having worked in a national programme reporting metrics for over 10 years. In the course of that period we have constantly deliberated over the definitions of even the most basic data reported and updated definitions from time to time. If you look across Europe there is no standard definition of positive cases (some report positive tests only) and no standard definition of a Covid deaths (some report cases where a positive test was undertaken). In my view Rip.ie is as accurate (or inaccurate) as any other data source.

As to an increase of people using Rip.ie, I have lost both parents in the last 10 years plus many an elderly relative. I cannot recall one occasion where the death was not in Rip.ie.

there also may be more deaths from people nothing to do with covid

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it against the law to have on the death notice that the person died tragically of Covid-19? I have not seen a single case on RIP where it's listed, would have thought it should be an option for the family to document if they wanted to.

Is it against the law to have on the death notice that the person died tragically of Covid-19? I have not seen a single case on RIP where it's listed, would have thought it should be an option for the family to document if they wanted to.

Why would they? Personally I have never in my life seen a cause of death listed on a rip.ie notice

death notices from the place in portlaoise https://www.leinsterexpress.iNOT APPLICABLEl

please delete your own post- you've the wrong end of the stick here- all deaths are currently reported with a standard paragraph referencing covid-19 funeral procedure- they're not indicative of who died and didn't die of covid-19.

you're creating unnecessary stress on families of deceased people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why would they? Personally I have never in my life seen a cause of death listed on a rip.ie notice

I'd have put it in if it happened to a family member, particularly in a nursing home.

Advertisement