Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk tastes very strange

Options
  • 12-04-2020 3:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

We got low fat milk from supervalu and cleaned the outside of the cartoon with mild Milton solution before refrigeration. Just opened it yesterday and the best before date is 17th, it somehow tastes chemically? We dumped it but we're wondering how the small spray of very dilute Milton would have seeped through the packaging, wondering if anyone else has taste issues with milk from supervalu.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Just a fyi, Milton recommend that you make the solution stronger so it'll kill coronavirus.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Milton_baby/status/1249293190110330880

"Milton Sterilising
    @Milton_baby

To be used against Coronavirus, the World Health Organisation has recommended dilution is 2 Tablets or (2 capfuls of Fluid) in 1 litre of water."

I'd be surprised if it went through the packaging to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,583 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you normally get that low fat milk from Supervalu?

I don't get a chemical taste but certain own brand milk products I just find taste different to others.
    M&S milk for example.
    I don't get it with e.g. branded Avonmore, own brand Tesco, or own brand LIDL.

Dunno what is the difference - something in the fat skimming process or what.

I would be surprised if tetrapak packaging is permeable if it is then oxygen would get to unopened cartons and milk would sour pretty quick.

I have just opened a carton of long life milk that was sitting ambient for 1 month before opening.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Well actually now that you mention it, it's low fat milk which we don't normally get. And we just finished some quality locally unhomogenised milk, quite hard to come back from that!

Yeah the Milton was higher strength than I would usually use when sterilising, as you mention. But the plastic tab around the bottle top was sealed until today and how could it realistically have seeped through plastic?

I'm going to put it down to a mix of paranoia and inferior milk.

Thanks so much, these answers have been extremely helpful!

Advertisement