Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a suggestion on wiring an outside floodlight

Options
  • 12-04-2020 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

So I have a halogen floodlight at the back of the house. Wiring at the moment is permanent live (for the integrated PIR) AND switched live to override the PIR, plus neutral and earth. I want to replace this light with a LED light which has live, neutral and earth. So which of the live/switcheds feed do I take, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

wait4me wrote: »
    So I have a halogen floodlight at the back of the house. Wiring at the moment is permanent live (for the integrated PIR) AND switched live to override the PIR, plus neutral and earth. I want to replace this light with a LED light which has live, neutral and earth. So which of the live/switcheds feed do I take, Thanks

Switched live otherwise you cant turn it off Some have a feature that if you switch twice in a certain number of seconds it overrides the pir and stays on.
    Otherwise you'll probably end up setting the timer to longer and resort to jumping and waving when it turn off 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

resort to jumping and waving when it turn off ��

Might be only place to exercise if this virus keeps going. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

If I can jump on the bandwagon please. We recently did an extension and allowed for 3 outside lights off one switch. The electrician wired for the lights but we didn't have the lights so now that I do I want to wire them . I have done quite a bit of wiring of lights so I'm not worried about that. Now my question.... At one of the lights is one cable, the other has 2 cables ant the last has 2 cables with an extra thinner cable which I presume is switch cable. I presume on the 1 cable light I wire the light as normal. On the 2 cable light I join the two cables to the light. I'm just looking for advice on the 3 cable light. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of above

Advertisement