Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Game on PS4 Store

Options
  • 12-04-2020 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I see there are a few free games - I downloaded Call of Duty but it is saying ‘unavailable’....

Do I like need an online account is it?

Being years since I played on a PS and all seems to have changed....Fairly confused...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Not sure about call of duty but I saw this recently with Wolfenstein II where the price came up as free in the store but I couldn't buy it.

Can see the price on the psprices page for the period it went down to free: https://en.psprices.com/region-ie/game/1801850/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus

Must be a mistake of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Cool....But can you get some games for free and play them without an online account? Or maybe not?!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Oh yeah, I think so. They'd be games with lots of in-game purchases I assume like fortnite maybe. Not sure if you need ps+ to play that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

You need psplus for most games. Bit old but list of games you dont need ps plus for as I know fortnight is one.

https://www.feedster.com/things-to-do-not-at-work/the-best-playstation-4-games-you-can-play-online-without-playstation-plus/

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    You need psplus for most games. Bit old but list of games you dont need ps plus for as I know fortnight is one.

https://www.feedster.com/things-to-do-not-at-work/the-best-playstation-4-games-you-can-play-online-without-playstation-plus/

OK - nice....So maybe a chap like myself would be better off just getting PS Plus account rather than buying an actual game? Seeing as I will only be using my PS4 for a few weeks - any thoughts on that idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

OK - nice....So maybe a chap like myself would be better off just getting PS Plus account rather than buying an actual game? Seeing as I will only be using my PS4 for a few weeks - any thoughts on that idea?

Get playstation now. Gives you access to plenty of games. It's very similar to Netflix, you pay a monthly fee and have access to all games on it. You can get a free trail and a month's pass.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Get playstation now. Gives you access to plenty of games. It's very similar to Netflix, you pay a monthly fee and have access to all games on it. You can get a free trail and a month's pass.

Lovely that’s all I want really....

Hang on a second....There is PS Plus and PS now...What happened to going into ‘Game’ in town and picking up the game in the shop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The free call of duty game is called Warzone, that is what you need to download, you need to setup a PlayStation account for it

I don't think you need PS plus to play the game actually...

You can still go to game shops only they are all shut currently, can get games on Smyth's website on a disc delivered...

PS + is the membership and online gaming

PS Now is like a Netflix buzz except with games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Hang on a second....There is PS Plus and PS now...What happened to going into ‘Game’ in town and picking up the game in the shop?!

That's still an option and I still buy a handful of games every year from Gamestop.If you aren't too fussed about having the actual disc, you also have the option to buy digital versions of games (from PSN etc).
    I have the PS Plus subscription which is 60 euro per year. With this subscription we get 2 free games every month - free meaning for as long as you have the PSPlus subscription. For me it works because I am a very casual player with limited time to play games so it is good enough. And the last few months I got lucky because I was really interested in the free games (i.e. The Uncharted quadrilogy, the MLB game etc.)
    I think PS Now gives you access to more games, so really it depends on what type of player you are.

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    That's still an option and I still buy a handful of games every year from Gamestop.If you aren't too fussed about having the actual disc, you also have the option to buy digital versions of games (from PSN etc).
    I have the PS Plus subscription which is 60 euro per year. With this subscription we get 2 free games every month - free meaning for as long as you have the PSPlus subscription. For me it works because I am a very casual player with limited time to play games so it is good enough. And the last few months I got lucky because I was really interested in the free games (i.e. The Uncharted quadrilogy, the MLB game etc.)
    I think PS Now gives you access to more games, so really it depends on what type of player you are.

I am thinking PS Now - seems like you get access to more games....Reading up online but can’t quite see the difference the two other than you get more games with PS Now...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I am thinking PS Now - seems like you get access to more games....Reading up online but can’t quite see the difference the two other than you get more games with PS Now...

PS Now is Netflix for Playstation Games.
    PS+ is the ability to play the vast majority of games online, and you get 2 free games to keep per month.

Both require an active subscription to play games. Finally, you have games like Fortnite and Call of Duty: Warzone which are free to download and play without PS+ or Now, you just need an active internet connection to play as they're online only.

You mentioned it's only for a few weeks, so a trial or month sub to PS Now is the best choice if you don't want to play the Free to Play (F2P) games (Fortnite, Warzone, Paladins, World of Tanks, etc).

Advertisement