Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is this all going to cost and who will pay for it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

It was inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

As usual the middle earners will get shafted while the dole and pension remain untouched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Renault 5 wrote: »
    Is everyone ready to pull their trousers down and bend over

We are going to pay for the Government “Only Plan” and they have no issue extending it when they have suckers like us to mug.

Screw this, they are throwing money at everything and anything and leaving it to the taxpayer to pick up the bill.

I could actually live with it (its a pandemic) , if I thought the government had any want or ability to tighten the belt and give value for money. But itll be throw money at NGOs, tribunals etc and well pick up the bill.

We are still paying the "temporary" USC....

If it wasn't for family, I would be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

In other breaking news it's been discovered that night follows day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So you're saying that the government spending a huge amount of money keeping people going during a pandemic isn't free?

Are people actually surprised?

Also, higher taxes are better than the alternative of reduced services...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

billyhead wrote: »
    It was inevitable.

Indeed but there was/is no financial damage limitation in place for a year.

In fairness, O'Donoghue was hardly going to assert, "in light of COVID-19, taxes will continue to fall for the middle class over the next 2-years".

dulpit wrote: »
    ...when you are not paying the taxes.
    VAT is at 23% so it can't be pushed higher.
    Business tax rates will be left as is because they are mobile.
    The only victims they can tax are those in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

So you're saying that the government spending a huge amount of money keeping people going during a pandemic isn't free?

Are people actually surprised?

The problem is that we'll get the higher taxes and the reduced services. Just like the temporary USC it'll end up permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

No **** Sherlock

• Advertisement

I wonder, in future budgets, how well-financed the health service will become.

I wonder what knock-on, long-term collateral damage/deaths will result from this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

...when you are not paying the taxes.
    VAT is at 23% so it can't be pushed higher.
    Business tax rates will be left as is because they are mobile.
    The only victims they can tax are those in employment.

As always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Cina wrote: »
    As usual the middle earners will get shafted while the dole and pension remain untouched.

The professional classes acted as footsoldiers for these destructive policies.

Frustrated-middle **** who must now spend the rest of their lives servicing public debt are getting what they asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there anything to be said for raiding the savings of all the people who felt no financial impact and in fact whose savings increased?

Well yes. The Government a put a hugh amount of people out of work themselves and bankrupted businesses unnecessarily. But hey us suckers will pay the bill no matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

We need debt cancellation on a large scale, not just in Ireland, or deficits will choke economic activity.

This time 100 years ago, March 1921, France and Belgium invaded the Ruhr valley in Germany to guarantee the repayment of war reparations.

Being enslaved to creditors is no picnic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

So not only do they lock up their own citizens while flying others in unrestricted they now want us to pay for it... Roll on the next general election and we get these idiots out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Well yes. The Government a put a hugh amount of people out of work themselves and bankrupted businesses unnecessarily. But hey us suckers will pay the bill no matter.

Unnecessarily? The alternative being covid being rampant with death rates much higher. Worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The problem is that we'll get the higher taxes and the reduced services. Just like the temporary USC it'll end up permanent

And nice houses for economic migrants as we tax the hell out of people here who can't afford their own houses anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is everyone ready to pull their trousers down and bend over

We are going to pay for the Government “Only Plan” and they have no issue extending it when they have suckers like us to mug.

So the Tories ask cash rich corporations to contribute

We'll go for hard pressed citizens and hike their personal taxes again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Eat the rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭bigroad

Leo will be left to face the music ,while Michael slips into the background.
    That's if this Government lasts,next up will be the Shimmers to tidy up the country's finances.
    So the future here for the tax payer is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

In other breaking news it's been discovered that night follows day

And water is wet

Expect mass emigration numbers from Ireland once Covid passes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s saying taxes will rise, but he isn’t speculating publicly anyway as to how much....

It could be a modest tax rise that over 5 years say will prove to have been prudent in continuing to ensure the recovery of the country post covid.. what extra they’ll get from business as opposed to citizens will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    And water is wet

To where? Pretty much every other country where people emigrate to has been plunged into massive debt and recession too. We won't be the only ones increasing taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The government need the extra taxes too pay wages for themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

To where? Pretty much every other country where people emigrate to has been plunged into massive debt and recession too. We won't be the only ones increasing taxes.

And young people were already emigrating pre-covid so tryna act like thats a new thing is bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Australia

Yes, it's absolutely locked up now with no one allowed in

But that won't last forever

I'm not talking about huge numbers leaving Ireland this or next year. But in 2023? Definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Do you expect them to work for free?

Would you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Great timing to give the public servants 3% pay rises to substitute for the tax increases. It's a great little country.

From Feb

IRELAND’S PUBLIC SERVANTS will receive pay increases of up to 3% over two years after unions overwhelmingly voted to back the new public sector pay agreement today.

The agreement will cost €906m or the equivalent of around 4% of the 2021 public service pay bill, spread over three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Real leaders would do the following before raising taxes for the ordinary ...
    (1) Taoiseach take 20 % pay cut
    (2) ministers take 15 % pay cut
    (3) tds take 10% pay cut ...
    Public sector workers on over €100,000 take 10% pay cut ...
    They will of course do none of above , they will screw the middle class .

We’ve being saying this on the restrictions thread for the last year. Unfortunately the penny hasn’t dropped for a lot of people yet.

I’ve seen plenty of posters saying the economy is fine and things will bounce right back. Sure it’s low interest free money they said.

The sad reality is that we have a huge deficit due to our inept handling of Covid. Instead of leading, our leaders delegated to a bunch of overpaid doctors with no economic experience.

Now we’ll have extra taxes and spending cuts to important services. There is no other way around it.

If you support restrictions, you asked for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    And water is wet

i know im sure as **** I'm leaving once im qualified.

Allinall wrote: »
    Do you expect them to work for free?

Would you?

So you are in favour with the Government and PS pay rises?

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    He’s saying taxes will rise, but he isn’t speculating publicly anyway as to how much....

It could be a modest tax rise that over 5 years say will prove to have been prudent in continuing to ensure the recovery of the country post covid.. what extra they’ll get from business as opposed to citizens will be interesting.

How modest do you think the tax rises will be for a 14Bn deficit?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/exchequer-deficit-swells-to-14bn-as-lockdown-hits-tax-take-1.4499249?mode=amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

So you are in favour with the Government and PS pay rises?

Where did I say that?

Previous poster said they would need tax increases to pay their own wages, which is stating the bleeding obvious.

I’m sure we will be very generous on foreign aid this year like nothing has happened in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The stinking ****ers tell us they want lockdowns until May, while still at the beginning of March and then start bleating about finances and increases in taxes a few days later... do they have no one that can advise on how to deal with people, simple customer care... such a pack of filthy clowns

And the comment on USC is well pointed out, that temporary ****ing measure is still here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

Is the pandemic more or less than the bank bailouts of 2008 to 2010. The austerity of the crash was brutal and it hit many people. The effects can be seen mainly in the housing crisis and the affordability of housing for younger people. More austerity is going to be brutal.

I thing the best thing now is to get the covid cases down and collapse the numbers right down with a harsh lockdown for a few weeks. Then open up with some restrictions on capacity until more vaccination is achieved. If that can't be implemented, maybe mass testing to find as much covid as possible and isolate cases while the country opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Real leaders would do the following before raising taxes for the ordinary ...
    (1) Taoiseach take 20 % pay cut
    (2) ministers take 15 % pay cut
    (3) tds take 10% pay cut ...

They will of course do none of above , they will screw the middle class .

Congratulations, you've saved €1.6m, Now where does the rest come from? :rolleyes:

These populist soundbites grind my gears

Congratulations, you've saved €1.6m, Now where does the rest come from? :rolleyes:

Nearly 1 billion in PS pay rises

Nearly 1 billion in foreign aid.

Now the bill has reduced from 14 to 12 billion

There’s a start.

But why bother.

The Guy or Girl on 30k working in a customer service desk can be raided to pay for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I smell a permanent temporary tax coming.

SeaMermaid wrote: »
    Is the pandemic more or less than the bank bailouts of 2008 to 2010. The austerity of the crash was brutal and it hit many people. The effects can be seen mainly in the housing crisis and the affordability of housing for younger people. More austerity is going to be brutal.

I thing the best thing now is to get the covid cases down and collapse the numbers right down with a harsh lockdown for a few weeks. Then open up with some restrictions on capacity until more vaccination is achieved. If that can't be implemented, maybe mass testing to find as much covid as possible and isolate cases while the country opens.

We’ve been in the harshest lockdown since October with slightly reduced restrictions for 3 weeks in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That paycut wouldn't affect them at all though. They'd still be rich and claiming a huge load of expenses. A 2% tax rise will seriously hurt some people. Itd also be a lot easier to stomach paying more when you don't see money being wasted all over the place like that and given away to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Ye know all those posters who keep saying “fine if you don’t want to follow restrictions then you shouldn’t get a bed in hospital if you contract COVID”

Can it work the other way when it comes to paying extra tax

ye know like those zero COVID advocates, “oh you want zero COVID and more restrictions as a result, well are you happy to be the ones paying the extra tax for it so”

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surely during a global pandemic there should be some sort of global debt relief.

Dreaming i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Nearly 1 billion in PS pay rises

Nearly 1 billion in foreign aid.

Now the bill has reduced from 14 to 12 billion

There’s a start.

But why bother.

The Guy or Girl on 30k working in a customer service desk can be raided to pay for that.

Tbh, as a PS I didn't expect the pay deal. Did I vote to accept 'yes', but would I have been upset if there was none, 'no'. With three daughters who previously worked now all on some sort of PUP or ESS I think the govt should have put it on the long finger until we're out of this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wouldn't believe him. Wasn't he supposed to cut USC and help those who get up early in the mornings?

As he so ably illustrated , the only ones he helps are his so called friends/not friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement