Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained Fire brigade

Options
  • 12-04-2020 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Guys
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on going for the retained Fire Brigade. My interview has been postponed due to Covid-19 so I am taking this time to prepare for it .
    I am a cardiac first responder ( CFR) , a first aid responder (FAR) ,an emergency first responder (EFR) ,hold a certificate in Community Health Services and am meant to be training as EMT But cannot for the same reason mentioned above . Just curious as to wether these will help me in my interview and if so how can I see myself better with them ? Also does age play a factor ? I am 19 and have been told it could work against me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Fiatlegend wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on going for the retained Fire Brigade. My interview has been postponed due to Covid-19 so I am taking this time to prepare for it .
    I am a cardiac first responder ( CFR) , a first aid responder (FAR) ,an emergency first responder (EFR) ,hold a certificate in Community Health Services and am meant to be training as EMT But cannot for the same reason mentioned above . Just curious as to wether these will help me in my interview and if so how can I see myself better with them ? Also does age play a factor ? I am 19 and have been told it could work against me. Thanks
    Fair play to you. They are all the skills we need now. From your qualifications I would also say that you are a good team player. Age may be a factor depending on the number of vacancies. Is there any Career Guidance teacher from your school or similar person that would give you interview experience through a mock interview. If you know any of the present Fire Brigade staff maybe ask them how their interview was.
    Most interviews are predictable and can be prepared for and then you may have the awkward question which can also be prepared for.
    A Polish workmate was asked "What is your weakness?" He said that his accented English was difficult to understand at times but that he was taking English classes and doing his best to speak as much as possible with local people.

I think the fact that you have undergone all these training course will be a great asset to you.
    Definetely get as much research as you can about the retained system and indeed possible difficulties? e.g. how available will you be? Is your present place of employment convenient to the Fire station? Is your employer agreeable to you leaving work at the sound of afire alarm or bleeper? It is likely that you will be asked these questions. If not when it comes to the last interview question which usually is " Have you anything to say to us now before we finish?" I would have a good answer well prepared and cover
    1. Your interest as shown by the courses you have undergone
    2. Your availability by location and agreement with your employer
    3. Team player, fitness etc

Best of luck

Advertisement