Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Tesco selling prepay Sims in store?

Options
  • 12-04-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I ordered one with 3 last Thursday as I need data to WFH, no confirmation from webchat as to when it would be shipped, so I was wondering are Tesco still selling prepay Sims in-store at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

I think the only ones they have are for Tesco Mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭oodles19

jrmb wrote: »
    I think the only ones they have are for Tesco Mobile.

Yeah, that's no problem, I think Tesco offer unlimited data on their €20 PAYG plan, which is what I'm looking for...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

oodles19 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's no problem, I think Tesco offer unlimited data on their €20 PAYG plan, which is what I'm looking for...

Yep you will find these at pretty much any tesco checkout including petrol stations, express, metro and off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

There's never any shortage of them!

jrmb wrote: »
    There's never any shortage of them!

Looks like I'm off to Tesco tomorrow so!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As for as I know, there's just the €15 PAYG plan that gives you 15GB data. Unless they've temporarily lifted the data cap?

There is a €20 unlimited SIM-only plan though. Perhaps, if you pick up a PAYG SIM in store, you'll be able to sign up for that SIM-only plan over the phone??

Quackster wrote: »
    As for as I know, there's just the €15 PAYG plan that gives you 15GB data. Unless they've temporarily lifted the data cap?

There is a €20 unlimited SIM only plan though. Perhaps, if you pick up a SIM in store, you'll be able to sign up for that SIM only plan over the phone??

Ah, now that's a wrinkle! I need more than 15gbs, is the €20 a 30 day billplan? I wouldn't have an issue with that as I could cancel after a month. On their website they say their phone stores are closed, so that might be me torpedoed if I can't get the €20 monthly billpay card instore?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ah, now that's a wrinkle! I need more than 15gbs, is the €20 a 30 day billplan? I wouldn't have an issue with that as I could cancel after a month. On their website they say their phone stores are closed, so that might be me torpedoed if I can't get the €20 monthly billpay card instore?

I'd ring or ask their customer care via their social media channels or phone otherwise order online but you'll have to wait for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

oodles19 wrote:

A sim can be set up for either bill pay or pay go. Just buy the sim and ring their customer care. I got their 20 deal over the phone last week. Its 60gb fair use and 1c per MB if you go over. Handy it's only 30 day rolling contract

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    A sim can be set up for either bill pay or pay go. Just buy the sim and ring their customer care. I got their 20 deal over the phone last week. Its 60gb fair use and 1c per MB if you go over. Handy it's only 30 day rolling contract

Thanks! That might work so, 60gb should be enough to get me through I reckon, as I've 80gb with Gomo (less than 10gb left to last the rest of the month though). 3 would have been perfect, I ordered the SIM last Thursday and they've taken payment, but I've been told on webchat that it may take "some time" to get to me. They still have next day delivery listed on their website, which they should take down IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

I ordered one with 3 last Thursday as I need data to WFH, no confirmation from webchat as to when it would be shipped, so I was wondering are Tesco still selling prepay Sims in-store at all?

The SIM cards cost €15 but it's free if you buy €15 call credit. The credit is for payg so probably no good for the Sim only plan. You could pass it on to someone.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    The SIM cards cost €15 but it's free if you buy €15 call credit. The credit is for payg so probably no good for the Sim only plan. You could pass it on to someone.

Oh I'd use whatever credit I had on charity texts or something, the €15/€20 doesn't really matter to me, as long as I've a decent chunk of data to use for the next few weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Eir PAYG 20e for 80GB

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

SIM can be ordered on line if shop is closed.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Eir PAYG 20e for 80GB

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

SIM can be ordered on line if shop is closed.

Thanks for the link, I'm just worried if I'd get it in a reasonable time, since I already ordered off 3 and that's not going to be arriving any time soon? Seems they're (understandably) experiencing significant delays getting sims out, though that could just be 3?

If you ordered it last Thursday, there's a good chance it'll come in Tuesday's post I would think.

Quackster wrote: »
    If you ordered it last Thursday, there's a good chance it'll come in Tuesday's post I would think.

Here's hoping! I honestly don't have a quibble if it doesn't, I know everyone is under pressure right now and logistics are under strain, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I just really could do with sufficient data to see out the month. WFH, video conferencing etc seems to be murdering my data allowance (wouldn't mind having some Netflix and browsing as well either!) so I'm trying to figure out the best way not to get stuck..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I'm just worried if I'd get it in a reasonable time, since I already ordered off 3 and that's not going to be arriving any time soon? Seems they're (understandably) experiencing significant delays getting sims out, though that could just be 3?

Might just be 3, don't think there's any issue with the postal system.

Tesco PAYG 15e top up activates the 15GB data and the 15e can be used to buy another 6GB via add ons (5GB + 1GB, https://www.tescomobile.ie/prepay-add-ons.aspx).

3 SIM may have arrived by then.

AFAIK the Eir PAYG SIMs are free so it won't cost anything to order and then opt in to the offer before topping up. Topping up can be done online after it's delivered. Not sure if more than 1 SIM can be ordered at a time, that would give the option of alternating between them if the limit was reached.

3s network (Tesco use same masts) is probably fairly congested nowadays, it was almost at capacity before any WFH additional load.

Then there's Vodafone X with 30GB for 20e.
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

Yeah, if you get the Tesco SIM, you'll have the 15GB to tide you over straight away. And hopefully, in the meantime, you can sign up for the €20 unlimited SIM only plan over the phone. And they might even offset the €15 PAYG credit against your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

You can get a pre pay Sim in Tesco. However if you want the bill pay Sim only, you need to order online. I seen a sign in my local tesco. It says in line with the government covid-19 measures there in store phone shop's are closed.

castle2012 wrote: »
    You can get a pre pay Sim in Tesco. However if you want the bill pay Sim only, you need to order online. I seen a sign in my local tesco. It says in line with the government covid-19 measures there in store phone shop's are closed.

Another poster on this thread has indicated that they picked up a prepay SIM and were then able to sign up to the SIM-only offer by ringing customer services. There's no technical reason why this wouldn't be possible.

• Advertisement

Just as an update and in case anyone comes across this after searching. I got my 3 SIM delivered this morning (Tuesday), ordered it the night of Holy Thursday, so pretty good going really, all things considered!

Advertisement