Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money in bank.

• 12-04-2020 7:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hi

Silly question here. If you have money in the bank, simply resting in a standard bank account. i.e. not invested in shares etc.

Is this money protected if things go arseways?

I k ow people lost money in 2008 but was this more so based on investments and shares etc that went bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hi

Silly question here. If you have money in the bank, simply resting in a standard bank account. i.e. not invested in shares etc.

Is this money protected if things go arseways?

I k ow people lost money in 2008 but was this more so based on investments and shares etc that went bad.

Yes up to 100k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

elperello wrote: »
    Yes up to 100k.

Thanks. It’s this a blanket figure across Irish banks or do they differ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that guarantee still active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yes it's still active. BOI often send out details with statements. Seen other banks do it too.

It's 100k per person so if a joint account 200k.

Right. So if one has 200k in a current account simply resting there and things went to sh1t, you could lose 100k?

To me sounds like it’s your money, you have earned it, you did not take risks by investing it etc and yet you could lose loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

It's 100k per person per institution so if you've more than 100k on deposit, whip the excess out into another institution or institutions if you want to be covered by deposit guarantee scheme

It's 100k per person per institution so if you've more than 100k on deposit, whip the excess out into another institution or institutions if you want to be covered by deposit guarantee scheme

Thanks.

So if married......and wife has 100k in AIB in her own account......and husband has 100k in AIB in his own account, is all ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Right. So if one has 200k in a current account simply resting there and things went to sh1t, you could lose 100k?

To me sounds like it’s your money, you have earned it, you did not take risks by investing it etc and yet you could lose loads.

Yes that's the risk you take when storing money in banks. There's other ways of storing it, each with their own risks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Synode wrote: »
    Yes that's the risk you take when storing money in banks. There's other ways of storing it, each with their own risks

Eddie Hobbs mentioned to check the credit rating of the bank you're with.

Anyone offhand know the safest Irish Bank?
    Haven't too much, but wondering where Ulster Bank is safe or not in comparison to say AIB or Bank of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Anyone offhand know the safest Irish Bank?
    Haven't too much, but wondering where Ulster Bank is safe or not in comparison to say AIB or Bank of Ireland.

I worked in Anglo Irish Bank in late 2008 and they were AAA rated at the same time they were cooking the books.

I wouldn’t put much faith in credit ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Allinall

I worked in Anglo Irish Bank in late 2008 and they were AAA rated at the same time they were cooking the books.

I wouldn’t put much faith in credit ratings.

Nobody with money in Anglo lost a cent.

Allinall wrote: »
    Nobody with money in Anglo lost a cent.

Because the government stepped in and guaranteed all deposits, without that intervention many would have lost anything over €100K.

Let’s say you had 3 different accounts with the one bank. Current and 2 x basic savings accounts. And the total came to 150k. Are you ok as the money is in 3 separate accounts. Or still based on the 100k regardless.

Let’s say you had 3 different accounts with the one bank. Current and 2 x basic savings accounts. And the total came to 150k. Are you ok as the money is in 3 separate accounts. Or still based on the 100k regardless.

It’s €100K per person not per account so €50K is at risk.

Best thing to do is open an account with another bank and put the €50K there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭CPTM

This is what I was asking in my head as I was reading through this thread. So its 100k per person per bank?

Would credit union be an option here?

Do they have a safety net like the 100k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yes, and 2 credit unions used this as far as I remember. Rush credit union and another, forget the name.

CPTM wrote: »
    This is what I was asking in my head as I was reading through this thread. So its 100k per person per bank?

Yes.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Eddie Hobbs mentioned to check the credit rating of the bank you're with....

I wouldn't be taking financial advice from Eddie Hobbs. Although a broken clock is right, twice a day.

Where would be best to have 100k. In a bank or credit union. Not for investment purposes. Just for ‘storing’ more a less.

Or is there flip all difference?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Jaysus, If only I had these problems....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, and 2 credit unions used this as far as I remember. Rush credit union and another, forget the name.

Newbridge.

Maynooth came damn close also allegedly; it was forcibly married to Naas to sort it out. Was referred to as "the next Newbridge" by at least one newspaper; before Rush became the next Newbridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

KaneToad wrote: »
    I wouldn't be taking financial advice from Eddie Hobbs. Although a broken clock is right, twice a day.

He was also advocating buying Bulgarian property iirc.

Where would be best to have 100k. In a bank or credit union. Not for investment purposes. Just for ‘storing’ more a less.

Or is there flip all difference?

Hi. Any thoughts on this?

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

You *might* get a dividend in a credit union, but I would be surprised if they let you lodge it to be honest, most are now introducing a cap on shares. You may as well leave it a bank instead

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Eddie Hobbs..... seriously, best Ignored. You are not lending money to the bank.

The correct ratio to check is the bank's T1 ratio.

Spocker wrote: »
    You *might* get a dividend in a credit union, but I would be surprised if they let you lodge it to be honest, most are now introducing a cap on shares. You may as well leave it a bank instead

Haven’t most CUs moved to paying a rebate on interest paid on loans instead of a dividend on deposits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jrmb

Haven’t most CUs moved to paying a rebate on interest paid on loans instead of a dividend on deposits?
    As far as I know, you can get interest, a dividend and an interest rebate at the same time. It depends on the credit union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jrmb

...but only the interest is promised. The others can fluctuate and as Spocker said, you mightn't get them at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Don’t care about interest or do dividends etc. Just want my money safe.

Based on this, is a bank or credit union better?

Advertisement