Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money in bank.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I worked in Anglo Irish Bank in late 2008 and they were AAA rated at the same time they were cooking the books.

I wouldn’t put much faith in credit ratings.

Or Eddie Hobbs :D

Anyone for a nice overpriced villa on the cape Verde Islands in the middle of nowhere and no direct flights?

Highly recommended by Mr Hobbs along with investment in run down shacks in America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭blackbox

Thanks. Don’t care about interest or do dividends etc. Just want my money safe.

Based on this, is a bank or credit union better?

The guarantee for 100k is from the government, not from the financial institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thanks. Don’t care about interest or do dividends etc. Just want my money safe.

Credit unions hold their money in banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jrmb

They're all included in the deposit guarantee scheme, so it's a matter of personal opinion. I prefer to keep my savings in the credit union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    So does this mean its total 100k per person and it doesnt make a difference if you have 100k in aib and 100k in boi, you will still lose 100k?

It’s per institution per person so €200K spread across 2 banks is fully guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Do what a Peruvian family in New York did - they were concerned that the banks were not safe, so bought $27m of apartments (4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

what do millionaires do to secure their capital above 100k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭elperello

what do millionaires do to secure their capital above 100k?

The guarantee we are talking about is only for cash deposits.

Presuming you are talking about multi millionaires, because 1 million is not much these days, you might be surprised at how little actual cash really rich people have.

The answer to your question is wealth management ie. money working for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I worked in Anglo Irish Bank in late 2008 and they were AAA rated at the same time they were cooking the books.

I wouldn’t put much faith in credit ratings.

But the auditors said it was all fine...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

But the auditors said it was all fine...

The auditors have no responsibility towards the general public and you would be foolish to really a body that has not responsibility toward you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,232 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The auditors have no responsibility towards the general public and you would be foolish to really a body that has not responsibility toward you.
    They do have a responsibility to shareholders of banks and members of building societies, which they completely failed to meet in the case of Anglo Irish and Irish Nationwide.

They do have a responsibility to shareholders of banks and members of building societies, which they completely failed to meet in the case of Anglo Irish and Irish Nationwide.

And not relevant in the current context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,232 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And not relevant in the current context.
    Fairly relevant in demonstrating the general uselessness of auditors, imho.

Fairly relevant in demonstrating the general uselessness of auditors, imho.

Still does not remotely help the OP in his situation... but rattle on

Advertisement