Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a composter from an ibc tote.

Options
  • 12-04-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭

hi all
    i have 2 black ibc totes down the end of the garden which have been sitting their for 3-4 years empty with the lids off.
    They used to contain oil of some sort (i think it was new transformer oil (as in power transformers for the electricity grid)).
    I have started making one of them into a composter, by drilling aeration holes in it, cutting an access hatch with a hinged door that locks shut.
    It is ideal as i can tumble it around the garden, thus mixing the kitchen scraps and garden scraps etc (that's the plan anyway.), its black so should absorb the heat and its light but durable.
    I have given it a good clean with a power washer and a bottle of savlon. I intend on doing the same with the power washer and a bottle of fairy liquid to make sure ive got rid of all the traces of oil etc. tomorrow.
    do you guys think this would be acceptable to use as a composter considering its passed history?
    ive read of people using old ibc totes that were used to hold vegetable oil, as water storage on allotments.
    would i be introducing dodgy soil into my vegetable patch? or am i overthinking this?
    thanks for all the advice guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from a quick google, transformer oil was often mineral oil, which shouldn't be too toxic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

from a quick google, transformer oil was often mineral oil, which shouldn't be too toxic?

yeah ive looked at that myself, but i think the mineral oil despite the name, is highly toxic and non biodegradeable!
    but i think this oil was of a newer type that is safer although im just not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

i suppose to compare thing, we moved into our house a good few years back and immediately got an old leaking oil tank that was still in service removed.
    we have been growing veg where that oil tank was in the last few years and no harm so far (i think!)

Advertisement