Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chernobyl fires...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

jesus, that's wild.

will they get the superpowers now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Is something trying to send us a message this 2020? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Rhea Spicy Guano

HBO has a sequel to its show

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fek! thats all we need right now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This Ukrainian guy was exposed to radiation - and look what happened

https://news.sky.com/video/ukrainian-police-detain-beach-goer-for-violating-quarantine-11969534

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That 30km zone needs to be scoured clean and clear. Made a desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Wazza. Yer knob is on fire?

How? There's no way to just make it all vanish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The forest and scrub I mean. A massive programme of roundup spraying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Blast it the old school method

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Christ,

We have to leave our windows open for ventilation because of this virus.

Now we might need to close them again from radiation.

Fcuking hell.

Poor Ukraine. I hope they are able to fight these fires and pull through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So the wind can blow the radiated dirt all over the place?

🙈🙉🙊

The forest is the only solution they have. The plants and mother nature are dealing with it. There's really no alternative.

The exclusion zone is larger by a good bit than the forest so the issue here is, as per the original disaster, wind.

Again, you can't make it vanish. If you scrub the area, the waste ends up some place else. As it is now, nature is reclaiming and cleaning the soil but it's only 35 years into a 1,000 year plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure if this has been posted already...surely 2020 can't get any worse...seems it can!
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/13/ukraine-wildfires-close-chernobyl-nuclear-site

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theres cooling ponds on 3 sides and a giant memorial garden of flat concrete on the other, these won't get to the plant.

All the trees in the red forest were re-planted after the accident but still a bit radioactive, doubt its as much of a deal as the media make out.

Well worth going to see by the way anyone looking into an interesting trip when this is all done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

gmisk wrote: »
    ...surely 2020 can't get any worse...seems it can!
    On the plus side, our winds are usually Westernly, and many folks still have the iodine tabs from the post a while ago (check for expiry, and aged under 40).

Elsewhere, East Africa is looking at a 2nd wave of desert locusts with estimates that it will be 20 times worse then the plague that descended two months ago, which itself was the worst for 70yrs.

In Indonesia Anak (child of) Krakatoa,is getting a bit moody, same in Iceland any eruptions will cause further airline issues. These however would both be nothing compared to Italy's Campi Fiegei or Mount Vesuvius. Or indeed 'big' Krakatoa which blew it's load in 1883 and was heard 2,000miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Threads merged

Not sure if this has been posted already...surely 2020 can't get any worse...seems it can!
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/13/ukraine-wildfires-close-chernobyl-nuclear-site

Hopefully they will be able to put the fires out soon.

theres cooling ponds on 3 sides and a giant memorial garden of flat concrete on the other, these won't get to the plant.

All the trees in the red forest were re-planted after the accident but still a bit radioactive, doubt its as much of a deal as the media make out.

Well worth going to see by the way anyone looking into an interesting trip when this is all done.

I want to visit Ukraine/Kiev and do a tour of Chernobyl. I considered taking advantage of the virus and checked travel prices back in February for April but the risk of picking up the virus is too much so sadly a visit to chernobyl won't happen this year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

owlbethere wrote: »
    I want to visit Ukraine/Kiev and do a tour of Chernobyl.

I'd love to visit but I'd be too chicken. Not a mad fan of the auld radiation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

BattleCorp wrote: »

You'll probably get more on the way over there between x-rays and the plane travel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Cordell

Just burn it all.
    Oh, wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Why? How many people do you know who have died from radiation?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Why? How many people do you know who have died from radiation?

No, seriously, that is the one of the official numbers. There are other estimates all within that order of magnitude.
    Because no one can tell for sure if your cancer is due to radiation exposure or you would have got it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cordell wrote: »
    No, seriously, that is the one of the official numbers. There are other estimates all within that order of magnitude.
    Because no one can tell for sure if your cancer is due to radiation exposure or you would have got it anyway.

My question was in respect of people actually known personally.

So half the level of fatalities in the Wind power industry. I never fail to be astonished at how irrational people get over radiation. Forest fires near Chernobyl are simply not a health issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

cnocbui wrote: »
    My question was in respect of people actually known personally.

So half the level of fatalities in the Wind power industry. I never fail to be astonished at how irrational people get over radiation. Forest fires near Chernobyl are simply not a health issue.

Forest fires anywhere are a health issue. Can cause breathing difficulties etc.

And it's hardly irrational to have a fear of radiation as it's a proven carcinogen ,mutagen and teratogen.

And if you think more people have been killed by the wind power industry than radiation, I think there's no point in us carrying this discussion further.

It definitely wasn't as bad as the current situation, but what made it worse is that people exposed to fallout all over Europe didn't know if they were affected or not until years later, if ever. Just like I said, if you lived in an area that received radioactive fallout and years later you got cancer you won't know if it's cased by the accident or not.
    There are estimates that put the casualties in the thousands, or tens of thousands range, including miscarriages and birth defects, but they are disputed and they are hard to be proven.

But yes, you are right, it's quite a level of irrational fear, where for example, solid fuel open fires fumes kill more people than any radioactive fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

BattleCorp wrote: »

You wear a geiger counter the entire time, the highest atmospheric you encounter is about the same as an xray in a dentists office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

You wear a geiger counter the entire time, the highest atmospheric you encounter is about the same as an xray in a dentists office

I remember a youtuber Veritasium doing a video on it, his point was that a smoker's lungs are more radioactive then the worst parts in chernobyl currently.

[fixed link]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Christ, that image looks apocalyptic. Like something on the front album cover of a death metal band.

Advertisement