Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Lillyfae wrote: »
    I have not mentioned teachers. There are other responsible parties. Parents, principals, BoM. It's been referenced here. There are schools who have done no preparation whatsoever.

So basically not teachers but principals, BOM ( who are made up of patents teachers and principal) and parents. Seriously I’ve heard it all - what stakeholders in their right mind won’t implement guidelines to the best of their ability in the middle of a pandemic so that they can say I told you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

If we have 180 teachers out sick with suspected Covid we have a major problem, all schools will be closed indefinitely.

You do know that teachers have a variety of reasons why they might be on sick leave/ absent other than Covid - tummy bug, kidney infection, back pain, urgent medical procedure/appointment, miscarriage, bereavement, car accident, severe migraine, flare up of an existing condition such as MS or rheumatoid arthritis, injury after a fall... I know it's so inconsiderate of teachers not to arrange all these for existing holiday times but you know, we'll do anything not to have to go to work.

khalessi wrote: »
    Not all the time

In Germany there is a case of someone getting it from someone passing the salt

In China

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/a-woman-gave-coronavirus-to-71-people-by-doing-this/ar-BB16GeIH

Short of locking everyone in their homes, we can’t eliminate all opportunities for infection, so we go after the most likely- droplets at close contact and /or left on surfaces for short periods through poor sanitation. Make a large impact on these and the remainder do not cause a major issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Short of locking everyone in their homes, we can’t eliminate all opportunities for infection, so we go after the most likely- droplets at close contact and /or left on surfaces for short periods through poor sanitation. Make a large impact on these and the remainder do not cause a major issue

Masks a must I think we can agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Name the schools

I know you're a latecomer to the thread, but have a read over it. I'm not going back through to find it for you, but iirc it was about a week ago. The principal told their vice principal and staff that they would be doing no organizing of anything, and it was up to them.

To others, I'm not going to multi-quote you, but it is already happening. From people popping off to Portugal for a few weeks holidays, to going to work with mild symptoms, to having house parties, to being pressured by employers to get back in the office when 100% of the work can be done at home. Why would the school environment be any different?

Masks a must I think we can agree

Indoor where social distancing cannot be maintained. Not practical for young kids however

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If it’s just a sniffle it will be gone in 48 hours. If it’s more that that shouldn’t be in school anyway

Do you professionally bury posts and say it'll be grand or is it just a hobby?

You are not a doctor. Telling people to go into work with a "sniffle" during a pandemic where there is proven asymptomatic transmission and large range of severity of illness and symptoms is highly irresponsible.

I know you're a latecomer to the thread, but have a read over it. I'm not going back through to find it for you, but iirc it was about a week ago. The principal told their vice principal and staff that they would be doing no organizing of anything, and it was up to them.

To others, I'm not going to multi-quote you, but it is already happening. From people popping off to Portugal for a few weeks holidays, to going to work with mild symptoms, to having house parties, to being pressured by employers to get back in the office when 100% of the work can be done at home. Why would the school environment be any different?

I'm not late to this thread, drop in and out.

So a random anonymous post not naming a school or the school was named?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

xhomelezz wrote: »
    So you'll have 30 kids in class, 1 m SD if lucky, no proper air ventilation, no masks sitting there for 40 minutes. You split them to say 6 pods by 5 students. One of them will be positive in that environment.. how many out of 30 have a chance to contract virus? 1 pod?? You can send home all of them.

Why have none of these classroom ventilation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Because currently we are averaging just over 24 hours,

Really? Have you a link for that?

The HSE say
    Most people will get their test results back within 3 days, but it can take longer.

Obviously people in a hospital get them far quicker.

12-24 hours according to the HSE.

So what is the actual turnaround of a community test in Ireland now?
    Because the measures that remain in place and the wider public awareness will prevent the type of surge seen in March. Less opportunity for infections less infections. Because the same measures that reduce COVID will also reduce other respiratory infection such has already been seen in the Australian flu season.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-23/coronavirus-restrictions-cause-flu-cases-to-drop-australia/12480190

#Science

But the measures that contributed to flu decline in Australia will not remain in place here.

Did you actually read your link?
    Closing schools, maintaining physical distancing and boosting hand hygiene have all contributed to the massive decline in flu diagnoses and deaths.

"The main reasons are due to social distancing, as influenza is spread just like COVID-19 is," Professor Barr said.

"And the closure of schools probably also has a big part in the transmission of the flu in a normal season."

We are fully opening schools coming into flu season.

Also the vast vast amount of symptoms that will require testing are not caused by the Flu.

#science

Do you professionally bury posts and say it'll be grand or is it just a hobby?

You are not a doctor. Telling people to go into work with a "sniffle" during a pandemic where there is proven asymptomatic transmission and large range of severity of illness and symptoms is highly irresponsible.

That is actually the complete opposite of what I have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

So what’s your solution then if not to leave schools closed? Compromises and difficult choices will be required. But the alternative is not to open the schools at all

The solution was meant to be in the document. The solution provided is to deprive the most vulnerable of their right to an education. Do you think this “difficult choice “ is acceptable?

Boggles wrote: »
    Really? Have you a link for that?

The HSE say

Obviously people in a hospital get them far quicker.

12-24 hours according to the HSE.

So what is the actual turnaround of a community test in Ireland now?

But the measures that contributed to flu decline in Australia will not remain in place here.

Did you actually read your link?

We are fully opening schools coming into flu season.

Also the vast vast amount of symptoms that will require testing are not caused by the Flu.

#science

Do you not agree that improved sanitation, social distancing, those who can work from home continuing to do so, masks indoors etc etc etc will not reduce the occurrence of other respiratory illnesses? How is that?

#science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Why have none of these classroom ventilation?

Maybe some have, but not all. Unless you count windows.

The solution was meant to be in the document. The solution provided is to deprive the most vulnerable of their right to an education. Do you think this “difficult choice “ is acceptable?

Of course it's not acceptable, but what's your alternative? Only educate the most vulnerable, or educate everyone to the best possible standard under the current circumstances for as long as is necessary??

• Advertisement

That is very different to stating guidelines being very loosely applied by stake holders so that the pandemic can flare up again and schools can close. Particularly in the context of this discussion on the guidelines issued by the dep.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Maybe some have, but not all. Unless you count windows.

Why wouldn't the windows be counted? I'd be odd to leave them out

Do you not agree that improved sanitation, social distancing, those who can work from home continuing to do so, masks indoors etc etc etc will not reduce the occurrence of other respiratory illnesses? How is that?

#science

There is no recommendation for 1.1 million to wear masks in schools, schools as your link stated are a major contributor to the spread of respiratory illnesses. As are hospitals, there was 180 people on trolleys yesterday in July.

But tangents.

Could you back up your claim a community referral test is turned around in 24 hours on average?

#science

But there won't be social distancing is the problem. Each student who spoke on Prime Time last night said its going to be near impossible to SD at their schools.

Closing the schools isn't a option but some thinking outside the box wud help.

A full return and hope for the best isn't good enuf either

What's annoying is, when you describe concerns or point out what could have been done much better, you're just accused of not wanting to work

These 'guidelines' are thrown together and we could do much better in trying to protect all concerned

Why wouldn't the windows be counted? I'd be odd to leave them out

Windows are to be left open at all times I assume, classroom doors too.

According to the classroom plan diagrams, we'll have students stuck to the walls by the windows so I hope they bring good coats for the winter months, it'll be freezing :)

• Advertisement

You are deliberately presenting a limited set of choices.....continually.
    • locking people in homes
    • closing schools for 4 years.

It's all balderdash and it's dangerous. Telling teachers to man up buttercup.

Minimising the role of science in understanding this.
    Polluting the thread with nothingness.

If this is your job then no worries carry on.

There are alternatives.
    You don't have to just float with the flotsam.
    Sometimes you have to jettison the jetsam though.
    This plan being part of the latter.

FFS even Sinn Fein and the DUP are in agreement.
    Makes Michael and Leo look like a pair of muppets / PUPPETS.

https://twitter.com/GabrielScally/status/1286682752268541952?s=20

Windows are to be left open at all times I assume, classroom doors too.

According to the classroom plan diagrams, we'll have students stuck to the walls by the windows so I hope they bring good coats for the winter months, it'll be freezing :)

They all be getting coats for christmas

If they open the windows in the prefabs it will be hypothermia not Covid that will get them.

Of course it's not acceptable, but what's your alternative? Only educate the most vulnerable, or educate everyone to the best possible standard under the current circumstances for as long as is necessary??

If SET is to be pulled at will then we are not educating everyone to the best of our ability. We are constantly pulling resources from those that need it most. How about a limit on the amount of times SET could be pulled and instead the class sent home? Fairer to everyone now - all bearing a share of the pain no ? No way why ? because if classes were sent home - there would be uproar. Parents wouldn't be long seeing the shambles of our sub system. Much easier to pull from those who don’t cause a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

To all teachers on thread, I hope you've prepared your inbox for the inevitable "my Sneachta needs to be in a pod with Fuinneog and Realtín" emails :p

https://www.facebook.com/307568483030995/posts/1001947273593109/

There is no recommendation for 1.1 million to wear masks in schools, schools as your link stated are a major contributor to the spread of respiratory illnesses. As are hospitals, there was 180 people on trolleys yesterday in July.

But tangents.

Could you back up your claim a community referral test is turned around in 24 hours on average?

Closest I can find is median referral to result of 1.8 days last week. So test turnaround must be less than that

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0722/1154807-covid19-coronavirus-ireland/

Now do you honestly believe the measures that will remain in place when schools return will not reduce the spread of all respiratory infections this winter? Infections that get into school don’t just appear, they are carried in by what is going on in wider society and the difference in how we will be living our lives over the next while are going to have a significant impact on all transmissible illnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Well a friend of mine got tested in Monaghan last week and it took 5 days to get results and he was off work very annoyed for a week.

You are deliberately presenting a limited set of choices.....continually.
    • locking people in homes
    • closing schools for 4 years.

It's all balderdash and it's dangerous. Telling teachers to man up buttercup.

Minimising the role of science in understanding this.
    Polluting the thread with nothingness.

If this is your job then no worries carry on.

There are alternatives.
    You don't have to just float with the flotsam.
    Sometimes you have to jettison the jetsam though.
    This plan being part of the latter.

FFS even Sinn Fein and the DUP are in agreement.
    Makes Michael and Leo look like a pair of muppets / PUPPETS.

https://twitter.com/GabrielScally/status/1286682752268541952?s=20

Where are the scientists decrying our return to school plans? It’s mainly teachers and parents from what I see.

The anti science are those who presents single tweets as evidence, or even those who go to the trouble of creating fake tweets. Any on this thread done that at any stage in these forums Caveat?

lulublue22 wrote: »
    If SET is to be pulled at will then we are not educating everyone to the best of our ability. We are constantly pulling resources from those that need it most. How about a limit on the amount of times SET could be pulled and instead the class sent home? Fairer to everyone now - all bearing a share of the pain no ? No way why ? because if classes were sent home - there would be uproar. Parents wouldn't be long seeing the shambles of our sub system. Much easier to pull from those who don’t cause a fuss.

To be honest my preference for a teacher having to isolate would be for the class to isolate too and have online lessons for the length of time. I hope there's a better infrastructure available for that soon.
    To all teachers on thread, I hope you've prepared your inbox for the inevitable "my Sneachta needs to be in a pod with Fuinneog and Realtín" emails :p

https://www.facebook.com/307568483030995/posts/1001947273593109/

And they say there's an attitude towards teachers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Contact tracing will be used, important to encourage all secondary school kids who have phones (which is usually all) to download the app. Will make things faster and easier when they return.

We will just have to accept we will see classes sent home, we will possibly see individual schools close too.

But we are not dealing with small kids either at secondary level, they are old enough to have the risk explained to them. They need to take some personal responsibility too and follow guidelines.
    The schools will need to implement rules around movement within their schools, be it close locker rooms, keep kids in their home room class and have the teachers move? That in itself will keep movement to a minimum. Teachers will need to sanitize down the desks as they use them in class, carry a pencil case, use only their own stuff. Perhaps even changing the time table to have more double classes? I know its long but again less movement.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Contact tracing will be used, important to encourage all secondary school kids who have phones (which is usually all) to download the app. Will make things faster and easier when they return.

We will just have to accept we will see classes sent home, we will possibly see individual schools close too.

But we are not dealing with small kids either at secondary level, they are old enough to have the risk explained to them. They need to take some personal responsibility too and follow guidelines.
    The schools will need to implement rules around movement within their schools, be it close locker rooms, keep kids in their home room class and have the teachers move? That in itself will keep movement to a minimum. Teachers will need to sanitize down the desks as they use them in class, carry a pencil case, use only their own stuff. Perhaps even changing the time table to have more double classes? I know its long but again less movement.

Excellent post

Closest I can find is median referral to result of 1.8 days last week. So test turnaround must be less than that

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0722/1154807-covid19-coronavirus-ireland/

So nearly 2 days with very little community testing. At the moment, so you believe that can be improved on coming into the Autumn / Winter?

I am pretty sure it won't.
    Now do you honestly believe the measures that will remain in place when schools return will not reduce the spread of all respiratory infections this winter?

I honestly believe the lack of measures that are in place for schools will reseed Covid 19 in the community and play a significant role in re-implementing National Restrictions.

I am less worried about the common cold TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Because currently we are averaging just over 24 hours, and have capacity to complete 100k per week. Because the measures that remain in place and the wider public awareness will prevent the type of surge seen in March. Less opportunity for infections less infections. Because the same measures that reduce COVID will also reduce other respiratory infection such has already been seen in the Australian flu season.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-23/coronavirus-restrictions-cause-flu-cases-to-drop-australia/12480190

#Science

My wife works in healthcare and it takes between 2-4 days to get results. She get's tested every Friday and she's had results on a Monday and at times it's taken a full week to return them although that is rare now. On average it's 3 days not 24hrs

jrosen wrote: »

That would require a legislation change.

Legal age for digital consent is 16.

Also I imagine given the close proximity of school children in and out of the school.

The App may have a heart attack trying to keep up. :pac:

So nearly 2 days with very little community testing. At the moment, so you believe that can be improved on coming into the Autumn / Winter?

I am pretty sure it won't.

I honestly believe the lack of measures that are in place for schools will reseed Covid 19 in the community and play a significant role in re-implementing National Restrictions.

I am less worried about the common cold TBH.

I was talking about a less than 48 hour turnaround on testing, which we are achieving and improving all the time. And also about community measures reducing the impact of all respiratory infections this winter will result in us not seeing the level of referrals seen in early March . Schools are also not isolated from society, generating cases from nowhere. What happens in schools reflects what is going on in the broader community and schools are far more likely to be seeded from outside than visa versa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

And they say there's an attitude towards teachers :P

Oh I can assure you that's rooted in reality my friend! We get a couple of these types every year in my school.

That would require a legislation change.

Legal age for digital consent is 16.

Also I imagine given the close proximity of school children in and out of the school.

The App may have a heart attack trying to keep up. :pac:

Would require parental consent for under 16’s. Also the app only logs phones within range for 15 minutes

I was talking about a less than 48 hour turnaround on testing, which we are achieving and improving all the time.

You were talking 24 hours a few posts back.

We are achieving this because testing in the community is minuscule.

And also about community measures reducing the impact of all respiratory infections this winter will result in us not seeing the level of referrals seen in early March . Schools are also not isolated from society, generating cases from nowhere. What happens in schools reflects what is going on in the broader community and schools are far more likely to be seeded from outside than visa versa

Schools are the broader community FFS.

More than A fifth of the population will be returning to them in 4 weeks with a "sure it will be grand".

Here is a few cent per child per day, make it work or yer to blame.

To put the "plan" in perspective, schools are saying they do not have the capacity to social distance. There is no funding our recommendations for acquiring temporary accommodation.

There is nothing in the "plan" that addresses that.

You have actual teachers that work in actual schools telling you they have zero space.

Masks are not recommended.

Do you not see how deeply flawed in logically terms the "plan" actually is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So many post primary classrooms with inadequate ventilation. I hope that will be looked at. Lots of schools have boxed off wide areas of corridors that were intended for social spaces, but are now partitioned off into a classroom. No windows other than into the corridor. Also lots of old VEC schools are designed where half the rooms have double height sloping ceilings with a strip of glass (often corrugated perspex) at ceiling height to let in light, but no actual windows that open. Apart from that the rooms might have no windows or just one the size of a box room window even in a large room.

• Advertisement

Oh I can assure you that's rooted in reality my friend! We get a couple of these types every year in my school.

Oh I'd say there's a few of every type in every corner of every school! I do wish there was a greater choice of Emojis on here :pac::p:cool:

Would require parental consent for under 16’s. Also the app only logs phones within range for 15 minutes

Parent digital consent cannot actually be done easily.

Would take way too long.

It's why the likes of Whatsapp pushed their age limit up to 16 instead of getting into an administrative nightmare with 3rd party consent forms, etc.

Look I know it's a very confusing and uncertain time.
    Our government took the decision to close schools in the kids best interests.
    I don't think I can say this plan is that.
    Cherry picking and changing variable from other countries who fund and who have handled pandemic far better is not a realistic solution.

I know all of our little johnny's are wrecking our heads but kids do get this.
    I just think they are going to wreck our heads even more when we have to home school them with impaired kidney function.

That's my honest opinion. People should be aware that this is new and we don't know what will happen, 1 year , 2 year or 5 years from now.

Have a read and address the authors if they've got it wrong. Read the literature and decide if you want to take a punt.

Conclusions and Relevance

In this case series of hospitalized children who met criteria for PIMS-TS
    there was a wide spectrum of presenting signs and symptoms and disease severity,
    ranging from fever and inflammation to myocardial injury, shock,
    and development of coronary artery aneurysms.
    The comparison with patients with KD and KD shock syndrome provides insights into this syndrome,
    and suggests this disorder differs from other pediatric inflammatory entities.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2767209

Why do we continue to misunderestimate this pathogen?

https://twitter.com/QuickTake/status/1288459329566396417?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting to see that schools in US are asking parents and teachers to sign covid 19 liability waivers that they wont sue the schools if they catch covid 19 in schools

Parent digital consent cannot actually be done easily.

Would take way too long.

It's why the likes of Whatsapp pushed their age limit up to 16 instead of getting into an administrative nightmare with 3rd party consent forms, etc.

But it can be done if we deem it necessary. Under GDPR we can also set this age limit as low as 13 if we choose.

But it can be done if we deem it necessary. Under GDPR we can also set this age limit as low as 13 if we choose.

We can do lots of things.

But what we can't do at this moment in time, like the poster I replied to suggested.

Is tell kids under the age of 16 to download and use the app.

• Advertisement

HSE chose 16
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0530/1143516-covid-app-hse/

At the same time the HSE will limit the app to those aged over 16 in order; it says in order to comply with the digital age of consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We can do lots of things.

But what we can't do at this moment in time, like the poster I replied to suggested.

Is tell kids under the age of 16 to download and use the app.

I said encourage not tell. We can then encourage all over the age of 16 to download the app then seeing as there is the age restriction.

khalessi wrote: »
    HSE chose 16
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0530/1143516-covid-app-hse/

At the same time the HSE will limit the app to those aged over 16 in order; it says in order to comply with the digital age of consent.

Which we have chosen to set at 16, but can set as low as 13 if we choose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

We could also reduce class sizes, hire more teachers, spread out the school day. All easier just need proper investment and planning and don't require legislative changes. But that doesn't suit most.

Well all legal requirements can be changed but it takes time and certain protocols have to be followed, as was pointed out to you. If it was just a case of going hey lets make it 13 they would have at the outset but obviously it it not.
    We could legislate for 3 year olds to drive cars, a silly idea and not safe but it could be done.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement