Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

What other location, all the rooms are being used remember? sure you are telling us to rent out the local church or whatever. I cannot leave the site as I am a Year Head. Our current prep room might fit 4 people with SD at a stretch. Hopefully the practical rooms won't need to be timetabled all classes but I'm not really sure what staff will do in between classes for planning. I imagine it will vary massively depending on schools

The could use the rooms on a Saturday when the school is empty for planning and take off the time between their classes during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

You ask what other locations and then you say I've been telling you other locations. Read the other locations I already gave then?

* I never said the local church, but hey if its a viable option. It might have side rooms or be useful for music or choir practice. I did say community centres and a few other places

Back to money. The government for the Health services were all over the papers about hiring hotels as drop down cetres for hospitals. Have you seen them suggest same for schools when for primary it could a good option? Split classes apart from fact staff where would they get them.

Class contact time in Ireland is one of the highest in Europe./QUOTE]

Just in relation to this

Teacher contact hours

New Zealand have 16 hours more, Australia about 36 less thereabouts, US about 99 hours more thereabouts. The Department tend to look to the Finnish model for guidance thought import ideas from UK, which have been tried and discarded.

Costa Rica 1 188.00
    Chile 1 063.47
    Latvia 1 020.00
    United States 1 004.37
    Colombia 1 000.00
    Netherlands 930.00
    New Zealand 921.60
    Ireland 905.00
    France 900.00
    Spain 880.00
    Australia 869.57
    Israel 842.54
    Luxembourg 809.60
    Germany 799.54
    Canada 797.14
    Switzerland 784.75
    Denmark 784.00
    Slovak Republic 783.10
    Mexico 780.00
    Austria 779.40
    Portugal 774.00
    Italy 754.60
    Norway 741.00
    Japan 739.08
    Turkey 720.00
    Finland 676.80
    Korea 674.64
    Greece 663.75
    Hungary 648.00
    Slovenia 627.00
    Iceland 623.88
    Czech Republic 617.10
    Lithuania 612.00
    Estonia 584.80
    Russia 561.00
    Poland 560.70

Now lets look at educational standings

The key findings of the 2018 assessments include:

Ireland ranks 4th out of 36 OECD countries and 3rd out of 27 EU countries for reading literacy
    Ireland ranks 8th out of 77 countries/regions involved in PISA 2018 for reading literacy[1]
    in reading, Ireland has significantly fewer low-performing students (11.8% below level 2) and significantly more high performers (12.1% at levels 5 and 6) than the OECD average

PISA takes place every three years and aims to measure how well 15 year-old students are performing in three areas – reading, mathematics and science.

Ireland ranks 4th out of 36 OECD countries and 3rd out of 27 EU countries for reading literacy
    Ireland ranks 8th out of 77 countries/regions involved in PISA 2018 for reading literacy[1]
    in reading, Ireland has significantly fewer low-performing students (11.8% below level 2) and significantly more high performers (12.1% at levels 5 and 6) than the OECD average
    PISA results show the difference in performance between schools in Ireland is lower than the OECD
    in Ireland, the difference between schools in student performance in reading literacy is less than half of what it is, on average, across OECD countries[2]
    post-primary schools in Ireland can therefore be considered relatively equitable, as well as having above average performance in the three assessment domains

“Irish students have extremely high standards when it comes to reading, among the best there is. The number of low achieving students is among the lowest in the 77 countries tested.

“It is an envious position to be in and credit must go to the education initiatives being promoted by the department like the National Strategy on Literacy and Numeracy for Learning and Life (2011-2020) and how these are adopted by our schools, thanks to the dedication of our teachers.

Only 2% of the Irish students taking the PISA 2018 test had experienced the new science curriculum. The 2021 round of PISA will provide a better estimation of the extent to which the Junior Cycle changes in science are effective.

Other findings from PISA 2018
    Ireland has a lower percentage of low-performing students in all three domains than on average across OECD countries
    girls perform better than boys in reading, with a difference of 23.2 score points[3]
    Ireland’s performance in science and mathematics has remained relatively stable – above the OECD average scores – between 2015 and 2018 cycles
    girls perform slightly better than boys in science but the results are not considered statistically significant
    in science, students ranked 17th out of 37 OECD countries, 11th out of 28 EU countries and 22nd out of 78 participating countries/regions
    Ireland has a lower than average number of low performing students in science
    in mathematics, Irish students ranked 16th out of 37 OECD countries and 21st out of 78 participating countries/regions
    Ireland has a lower than average number of low performing students in maths

It seems internationally we are doing ok. There are always improvements to be made and that is what we strive to do. Holidays are arranged differently around the world to suit the particular country's circumstances. Holidays also take into account the children's wellbeing or do you think they don't need a break?

https://data.oecd.org/teachers/teaching-hours.htm
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...OECD%20average

khalessi wrote: »
    Back to money. The government for the Health services were all over the papers about hiring hotels as drop down cetres for hospitals. Have you seen them suggest same for schools when for primary it could a good option? Split classes apart from fact staff where would they get them.

The virsus had stressed healthcare services in other countries and we were responding and preparing for unknown spread. 8 months later, we have know a bit more about what we are dealing with. The healthcare where frontline dealing g with patients and the hospitals and patients high risk.

The schools closed and everyone stayed at home as was government advice at the time.

How you can compare teachers position to healthcare care at the start of an unprecedented virus is mind boggling?

Government approves over €375 million support package and publishes Roadmap to enable safe return of schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Class contact time in Ireland is one of the highest in Europe./QUOTE]

Just in relation to this

Teacher contact hours

New Zealand have 16 hours more, Australia about 36 less thereabouts, US about 99 hours more thereabouts. The Department tend to look to the Finnish model for guidance thought import ideas from UK, which have been tried and discarded.

Costa Rica 1 188.00
    Chile 1 063.47
    Latvia 1 020.00
    United States 1 004.37
    Colombia 1 000.00
    Netherlands 930.00
    New Zealand 921.60
    Ireland 905.00
    France 900.00
    Spain 880.00
    Australia 869.57
    Israel 842.54
    Luxembourg 809.60
    Germany 799.54
    Canada 797.14
    Switzerland 784.75
    Denmark 784.00
    Slovak Republic 783.10
    Mexico 780.00
    Austria 779.40
    Portugal 774.00
    Italy 754.60
    Norway 741.00
    Japan 739.08
    Turkey 720.00
    Finland 676.80
    Korea 674.64
    Greece 663.75
    Hungary 648.00
    Slovenia 627.00
    Iceland 623.88
    Czech Republic 617.10
    Lithuania 612.00
    Estonia 584.80
    Russia 561.00
    Poland 560.70

Now lets look at educational standings

PISA takes place every three years and aims to measure how well 15 year-old students are performing in three areas – reading, mathematics and science.

PISA results show the difference in performance between schools in Ireland is lower than the OECD
    in Ireland, the difference between schools in student performance in reading literacy is less than half of what it is, on average, across OECD countries[2]
    post-primary schools in Ireland can therefore be considered relatively equitable, as well as having above average performance in the three assessment domains

“Irish students have extremely high standards when it comes to reading, among the best there is. The number of low achieving students is among the lowest in the 77 countries tested.

“It is an envious position to be in and credit must go to the education initiatives being promoted by the department like the National Strategy on Literacy and Numeracy for Learning and Life (2011-2020) and how these are adopted by our schools, thanks to the dedication of our teachers.

Only 2% of the Irish students taking the PISA 2018 test had experienced the new science curriculum. The 2021 round of PISA will provide a better estimation of the extent to which the Junior Cycle changes in science are effective.

Other findings from PISA 2018
    Ireland has a lower percentage of low-performing students in all three domains than on average across OECD countries
    girls perform better than boys in reading, with a difference of 23.2 score points[3]
    Ireland’s performance in science and mathematics has remained relatively stable – above the OECD average scores – between 2015 and 2018 cycles
    girls perform slightly better than boys in science but the results are not considered statistically significant
    in science, students ranked 17th out of 37 OECD countries, 11th out of 28 EU countries and 22nd out of 78 participating countries/regions
    Ireland has a lower than average number of low performing students in science
    in mathematics, Irish students ranked 16th out of 37 OECD countries and 21st out of 78 participating countries/regions
    Ireland has a lower than average number of low performing students in maths

It seems internationally we are doing ok. There are always improvements to be made and that is what we strive to do. Holidays are arranged differently around the world to suit the particular country's circumstances. Holidays also take into account the children's wellbeing or do you think they don't need a break?

https://data.oecd.org/teachers/teaching-hours.htm
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/...OECD%20average

Absolutely, the Irish education system is underfunded and over performs on the international stage, find me another department that that is true of. We have a world leading rate of school completion too,something to be proud of as a society.

All while spending a nice bit less than the OECD average on education despite being one of the richest countries in the word.

By contrast our health system is one of the most expensive in the world and when this crisis hit has the lowest number of emergency beds per capita.

I think for primary schools renting out spaces could be a definite option but I don't see the funding being put in place or any indication of centralization.

• Advertisement

The virsus had stressed healthcare services in other countries and we were responding and preparing for unknown spread. 8 months later, we have know a bit more about what we are dealing with. The healthcare where frontline dealing g with patients and the hospitals and patients high risk.

The schools closed and everyone stayed at home as was government advice at the time.

How you can compare teachers position to healthcare care at the start of an unprecedented virus is mind boggling?

Government approves over €375 million support package and publishes Roadmap to enable safe return of schools

I am comparing the goverment response. We now need schools to open and basically the government is impeding that. An unsuitable plan, a budget that already is being considered small for what is needed that a review of it has been asked for in September. Not waiving 3 tenders requirement which wastes time. Delaying releasing it when they were supposed to have it in June.
    Foley saying that alllll avenues have to be exhauseted before other buildings even considered,

Compare that to lets hire hotels. We are looking at rising case numbers and more and more studies beign released saying actually children of all ages can spread it, the evidence is increasing, so I think the government should be doing all they can to open schools as now the schools are in need.

The hospitals are sorted and the government need to get their finger out and do everything possible including hiring every buildong available to get and keep schools open. At the moment you swear they wanted it to fail or expect it to fail and just did enough to shift the blame to schools

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

Is there any way we could all just ignore Alrighttythen? After all, none of us can come remotely near his/her experience, knowledge, know-it-all, inability to answer a straight question, refusal to accept any legitimate concerns, absolute certainty that all we have to do is hire out extra rooms, to be staffed by as yet unknown extra teachers, paid for by the non-existent budgets that all BOM and schools just have sitting in the account? Cloud cuckoo land comes to mind. I really cannot understand why he/she isn't the chief adviser to the government and DES as he/she has all the answers to everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

The could use the rooms on a Saturday when the school is empty for planning and take off the time between their classes during the week

I have a rough weekly plan, but most of my planning is done class to class each day. If the students are having a great time debating something then I won't put an end to that even if I had a second thing planned for that class. So, planning changes after each class. Doing it all on a Saturday wouldn't work for me anyway. I am sure a lot of other teachers plan the way I do.

Elliejo wrote: »
    Is there any way we could all just ignore Alrighttythen? After all, none of us can come remotely near his/her experience, knowledge, know-it-all, inability to answer a straight question, refusal to accept any legitimate concerns, absolute certainty that all we have to do is hire out extra rooms, to be staffed by as yet unknown extra teachers, paid for by the non-existent budgets that all BOM and schools just have sitting in the account? Cloud cuckoo land comes to mind. I really cannot understand why he/she isn't the chief adviser to the government and DES as he/she has all the answers to everything.

You can press the ignore button.

Why would they take it out of the non existent budget when the government has provided funding?

alroley wrote: »
    I have a rough weekly plan, but most of my planning is done class to class each day. If the students are having a great time debating something then I won't put an end to that even if I had a second thing planned for that class. So, planning changes after each class. Doing it all on a Saturday wouldn't work for me anyway. I am sure a lot of other teachers plan the way I do.

Yes, of course you adapt your plan in class. I dont think the poster was including that in the 10 hours of planning. As it's not done in addition to contact hours but during contact hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Elliejo

I have. Unfortunately people quote you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭alroley

Yes, of course you adapt your plan in class. I dont think the poster was including that in the 10 hours of planning. As it's not done in addition to contact hours but during contact hours.

No, I am talking about that I'll have a rough plan saying I'll cover a certain section of ratios with 5th years this week and these are the activities I'll do.
    During the week (not during contact time) I'll prep the resources needed. During school (non-contact time) and after school I'll actually do the detailed plans for the next day. I find it a waste of time to do detailed plans for a whole week all at once when so much can change between class 1 of the week to class 5 of the week.

I have. Unfortunately people quote you.

Oh right, I thought you were looking for how to do it, I didnt realise you were trying to start a posse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You can press the ignore button.

Why would they take it out of the non existent budget when the government has provided funding?

Show us in the document where the funding is allocated for 3rd party accommodations?

alroley wrote: »
    No, I am talking about that I'll have a rough plan saying I'll cover a certain section of ratios with 5th years this week and these are the activities I'll do.
    During the week (not during contact time) I'll prep the resources needed. During school (non-contact time) and after school I'll actually do the detailed plans for the next day. I find it a waste of time to do detailed plans for a whole week all at once when so much can change between class 1 of the week to class 5 of the week.
    Your usual space to do this probably wont be available to you to work this way as much next year.

Either way it's not contact time and not really relvent to the teacher in a class with students preventing the spread of covid. The teachers not in the class with the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

I think for primary schools renting out spaces could be a definite option but I don't see the funding being put in place or any indication of centralization.

Renting out spaces would actually be quite complicated for primary schools. Child protection policies would be a huge issue. It’s one thing when an entire school has to use a rented space but you couldn’t, for example, have a single class with one teacher at a location on their own.

Show us in the document where the funding is allocated for 3rd party accommodations?

Only of you tell me how much your school got quoted to rent a community space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

A secondary school teacher has 22 teaching contact hours a week, less if they have exam years.

That 'less' time you speak of is spent working, but to be fair that is irrelevant to this discussion because your point is that it isn't spent in front of a class of students, which is true.

Therefore, that is 40mins out of our 22hrs that we are not having to worry about social distancing. So, you would be right if you were saying that teachers have less than 22hrs in front of students if they teach junior cycle.

However. The devil is in the detail. A teacher has a contract for 22 teaching contact hours. These are not a teacher's only contact hours.

Under the S&S (Substitution and Supervision) scheme, teachers are required to provide up to (but not to exceed) 43 hours of additional cover per year - supervising break and lunch or covering teachers who are absent.

Due to low levels of absenteeism, many teachers would never have hit 43hrs in a year, but they possibly will this year, meaning that they will have an additional 1.5hrs (if my maths is correct :o ) of class contact time, so more than 22, rather than less.

Edited to add link re: S&S: https://www.tui.ie/second-level-hours-meetings/second-level-supervision-and-substitution.13097.html

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    That 'less' time you speak of is spent working, but to be fair that is irrelevant to this discussion because your point is that it isn't spent in front of a class of students, which is true.

Therefore, that is 40mins out of our 22hrs that we are not having to worry about social distancing. So, you would be right if you were saying that teachers have less than 22hrs in front of students if they teach junior cycle.

However. The devil is in the detail. A teacher has a contract for 22 teaching contact hours. These are not a teacher's only contact hours.

Under the S&S (Substitution and Supervision) scheme, teachers are required to provide up to (but not to exceed) 43 hours of additional cover per year - supervising break and lunch or covering teachers who are absent.

Due to low levels of absenteeism, many teachers would never have hit 43hrs in a year, but this year they possibly will this year, meaning that they will have an additional 1.5hrs (if my maths is correct :o ) of class contact time, so more than 22, rather than less.

Edited to add link re: S&S: https://www.tui.ie/second-level-hours-meetings/second-level-supervision-and-substitution.13097.html

We ran out of all Substitution of our S and S by Christmas last year, every teacher was done. God knows how early it'll be this year

We ran out of all Substitution of our S and S by Christmas last year, every teacher was done. God knows how early it'll be this year

Wow! Our school is quite large which definitely helps - I've never reached the 43 hours (well, lol, not officially anyway)

Just thinking too - I said a couple of pages back that the average student probably comes into contact with 10 different teachers each week in PP, but I was forgetting about all of the subs :eek: the true number will be much higher!

Also, what if subs are being shared by schools?

• Advertisement

Wow! Our school is quite large which definitely helps - I've never reached the 43 hours (well, lol, not officially anyway)

Just thinking too - I said a couple of pages back that the average student probably comes into contact with 10 different teachers each week in PP, but I was forgetting about all of the subs :eek: the true number will be much higher!

Also, what if subs are being shared by schools?

We are in the inner city, it's been 4 years since we started a school year with enough teachers, not to mind having someone on a 16 hour contract who could do a bit of subbing. PMEs would be teaching regular classes.

Subbing was done for a large chunk of the year by unqualified grads who let the kids do whatever they wanted, complete nightmare

Only of you tell me how much your school got quoted to rent a community space.

Please keep up. I already answered this for you already. The local community hall would already have pre-existing bookings that would rule it out. Local tiny GAA hall which would fit max one class is about 6km from our school so not suitable at all as already explained by another poster due to child protection issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Presume teaching staff will be prepping in their cars when they're not teaching

If a staff room, or work room, is open it wud be at reduced capacity and that's for those who are happy to be in a room with other adults for 40mins to an hour or more

Presume teaching staff will be prepping in their cars when they're not teaching

If a staff room, or work room, is open it wud be at reduced capacity and that's for those who are happy to be in a room with other adults for 40mins to an hour or more

The could prep in the community centre. Thered be no child protection issues. Or the school could buy a marquee for less than a grand and set it up for prep.

Where do they put it. the kids are being segregated when using the outside spaces. Do they pop it up and down between pe and breaks?

Where do they put it. the kids are being segregated when using the outside spaces. Do they pop it up and down between pe and breaks?

The yards are bigger than 6m x 6m. Good ventilation and the nphet recommends them for use.

https://www.omearacamping.com/6m-x-6m-pe-grade-commercial-party-tent-marquee-741-p.asp?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksMiJtRPN1WDXTITqLoTjgbpEKBtD4akY2RLe0nwqHemUK826hz1iLQaAivGEALw_wcB

. Or the school could buy a marquee for less than a grand and set it up for prep.

I can just imagine a heap of class tests going flying in the wind.

But draughty in winter, how about we get all the staff members to sell their cars and buy camper vans.

They dont take up too much space and come with a toilet and table for planning. Great for social distancing!! And when morale is low they can comebyah in the staff car park. be great!!!

I can just imagine a heap of class tests going flying in the wind.

https://duiskeglasskilkenny.ie/product/round-glass-paper-weight/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

But draughty in winter, how about we get all the staff members to sell their cars and buy camper vans.

They dont take up too much space and come with a toilet and table for planning. Great for social distancing!! And when morale is low they can comebyah in the staff car park. be great!!!

No matter what is suggested there is a certain group on here that shoot it down. We need to live with the virus for the foreseeable future. The kids need to be in school rather than remote learning. I seem to remember you saying your internet was so bad you had to start uploading stuff at 3:30 am!

Can also function as an overflow area. Stick a 3G router in and stream the class to it 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Is there any way we could all just ignore .......
    I think there should be a hit list of posters to ignore. I'm not going to name them here now, we all know who they are. They know NADA about schools, and get theirs kicks pretending to. Even the lingo used shows just how little they actually know about schools and their workings, from syllabi to timetables to subs etc.

Just ignore the same few WUMs that ruin this thread for everybody that actually wants to discuss factors in how schools can open and stay open.

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    No matter what is suggested there is a certain group on here that shoot it down!

Emm ... it could be argued that that is working both ways. When an issue is raised and certain posters don't have an answer to it (snide or otherwise), rather than acknowledge it and say 'oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that, I'll admit that is a problem', that certain group on here will just ignore the issue completely, pretending that it doesn't exist.

Case in point? Go back one page in this thread and have a look at the ONE post that Alrigghtythen didn't respond to. Hint: It's #9769

That should tell you all you need to know about the agendas of certain groups on here.

Is this to keep the exam papers or the marquee from flying away?

And if the second wave brings another toilet paper shortage, at least we have our copy of the guidelines to tide us over :pac:

• Advertisement

Is this to keep the exam papers or the marquee from flying away?

Jimmy catch up!! We are buying camper vans for the comebyah, sorry planning and sd and overflow sheesh!!!

Emm ... it could be argued that that is working both ways. When an issue is raised and certain posters don't have an answer to it (snide or otherwise), rather than acknowledge it and say 'oh, ok, I hadn't thought of that, I'll admit that is a problem', that certain group on here will just ignore the issue completely, pretending that it doesn't exist.

Case in point? Go back one page in this thread and have a look at the ONE post that Alrigghtythen didn't respond to. Hint: It's #9769

That should tell you all you need to know about the agendas of certain groups on here.

Post 9769 Doesnt have a question in it

Due to low levels of absenteeism, many teachers would never have hit 43hrs in a year, but they possibly will this year, meaning that they will have an additional 1.5hrs (if my maths is correct :o ) of class contact time, so more than 22, rather than less.

Post 9769 Doesnt have a question in it

Neither did 9774 or 9778 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0803/1157119-germany-schools-reopen/

Schools in Germany due to open next week
    Masks to be worn on corridors but not in the classes or playroom .
    Regular ventilation advised too .

Of course we are aware of the danger, but we have very few new infections in our region," said Kay Czerwinski, a member of a local parents' association.

"The most important thing is to go back to school and avoid falling further behind, otherwise we risk having a lost generation," he told AFP.

Masks have so far not been made compulsory in schools in the region, but the state's health minister Bettina Martin told a local radio station that she wanted to "play it safe" and require masks outside of classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

There are compulsory masks in some German states.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Whats their PT ratio, are they all back as is planned here? Good to see how other do it, tho other are operating with lower numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Its unfortunate that decisions were made at such a late stage and understandable to see panic amongst teachers and parents.

The challenges facing individual schools will vary hugely. Which is why imo schools (teachers and principals) should have been consulted months ago. I said from the beginning they know their building and students best. Who better to have a seat at the table when it came to planning the return to school.
    But like alot of industries decisions are made at the top and the people further down are left trying to figure it all out.

My concern is that students will be at the mercy of their school. We heard the feedback about on line learning, it was amazing for some and awful for others. My fear is that we will see the same approach with the return to school, with some schools doing all they can and others not.

At this stage im hopeful my kids will go back. But we are still planning for them not too.

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Of course we are aware of the danger, but we have very few new infections in our region," said Kay Czerwinski, a member of a local parents' association.

"The most important thing is to go back to school and avoid falling further behind, otherwise we risk having a lost generation," he told AFP.

Masks have so far not been made compulsory in schools in the region, but the state's health minister Bettina Martin told a local radio station that she wanted to "play it safe" and require masks outside of classrooms.

Preventing infections
    Strict statewide hygiene rules have been put in place: Students are told to keep their hands off the banisters when taking the stairs — and to wash them frequently. Disinfectant is to be used sparingly and only when deemed necessary — and mixed into cleaning water rather than sprayed pure. Masks are not obligatory and teachers can avail of free testing for the coronavirus.

Classes have been reorganized, creating so-called "cohorts" groups of several hundred students. The "cohorts" are advised to stay apart, but social distancing rules are being done away with within each group. Classes are being scheduled on a staggered basis. Each cohort has its own area in the school grounds, cloakrooms, restrooms and canteens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/german-schools-reopen-despite-coronavirus/a-54415687

Interesting aswell is that Germany staggers the summer holidays aswell

Summer holidays are staggered in Germany, so not all 16 federal states go on vacation at the same time, clogging the nation's airports and famed autobahns. This year's return to school can best be described as a large-scale experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Whats their PT ratio, are they all back as is planned here? Good to see how other do it, tho other are operating with lower numbers

As far as i know the ratio is about 22/23 to one . In Berlin the plan is for a full return with all pupils in every day .

Some schools in Germany will only have small numbers at a time. The schools have been told to reduce class sizes and they can open anywhere between 4-5 hours a week to all day every day. This makes sense, as I've said repeatedly I have no issue being in a class with 12/14 kids. I have an issue with 25/30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

jrosen wrote: »
    Its unfortunate that decisions were made at such a late stage and understandable to see panic amongst teachers and parents.

The challenges facing individual schools will vary hugely. Which is why imo schools (teachers and principals) should have been consulted months ago. I said from the beginning they know their building and students best. Who better to have a seat at the table when it came to planning the return to school.
    But like alot of industries decisions are made at the top and the people further down are left trying to figure it all out.

My concern is that students will be at the mercy of their school. We heard the feedback about on line learning, it was amazing for some and awful for others. My fear is that we will see the same approach with the return to school, with some schools doing all they can and others not.

At this stage im hopeful my kids will go back. But we are still planning for them not too.

It will be interesting to see how many parents hold their kids back. This could well take some pressure off the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Some schools in Germany will only have small numbers at a time. The schools have been told to reduce class sizes and they can open anywhere between 4-5 hours a week to all day every day. This makes sense, as I've said repeatedly I have no issue being in a class with 12/14 kids. I have an issue with 25/30!

So how would you propose to address the issue of the other 12;15?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Will Yam wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how many parents hold their kids back. This could well take some pressure off the system.
    or the amount of teachers who won't go back due to them being high risk will add to the pressure. Big rush on now, really should have been a plan in place months ago.
    Huge pressure on teachers and parents

This just in

https://www.thejournal.ie/children-have-to-go-to-school-5164980-Aug2020/

So any parents worried that school is an experiment, which a few have said to me irl, still have to send them or maybe keep them out a few weeks.

This is interesting about the german schools which are reopening fully

Online classes for homeschooling, dubbed "distance learning" by the relevant authorities, is to be avoided in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. As the state education ministry's decree put it: "Complementary distance learning usually takes the form of digital learning and is to be used mainly for exercises and repetition."

In the process, the ministry has called for an "increase in 'self-organized' learning, in accordance with individual progress," at the state's primary and secondary schools.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement