Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Staff decided. I'm part of the group tasked with trying to come up with a practical and sustainable solution for cleaning shared resources.

Ok well if you are all confident in the idea. How long do you think it will take to do each day?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The budget for primary works out at €10 per child . That’s yo pay hit hand san. Cleaning materials , extra cleaning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We might have to fly in cleaners from bulgaria

Or train school cleaners to actually clean properly and pay them for hours worked, not the weekly miserly sum they get

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The budget for primary works out at €10 per child . That’s yo pay hit hand san. Cleaning materials , extra cleaning etc.

Stop pointing out facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Ok well if you are all confident in the idea. How long do you think it will take to do each day?

Do you have any helpful ideas or useful advice based on science or do you just come on here for the craic?

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Maybe having spent years working in the area of infectious diseases I might, but thank you for your worry, the sarcasm is dripping off you get a towel

How much experience have you in maintaining work place hygiene to prevent the spread of covid during during a pandemic?

I have 7 months of practical experience

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Now might be a good time to ditch homework forever. I mean where kids are eventually in a school setting .

I don't have school going kids now, but it was always such a fekkin pain for everyone really, and stretched the school day out to about ten bloody hours depending on how focused the kid was.

Ditch the homework NOW, other countries have done it, why not us.

Do you have any helpful ideas or useful advice based on science or do you just come on here for the craic?

What would be your solution to cleaning small equipment? The time taken and the effectiveness are considerations as they will cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What would be your solution to cleaning small equipment?

I notice you didnt answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Meeting virtually next next to start the process.

• Advertisement

About 5 cent a day.......it's shocking really. I have to say even with infectivity being higher in post primary you guys in primary have my sympathy.I go to schools to do outreach for maths and science, the size of the classes and the level of help the kids need is crazy. I can't imagine how you guys will distance in any way from the kids, I can explain to a 14 year old I need to explain how to clean their own wound, or why they need to be alone in a room because they have a fever or cough, a 5 year old will really struggle and needs much more support.

Now might be a good time to ditch homework forever. I mean where kids are eventually in a school setting .

I don't have school going kids now, but it was always such a fekkin pain for everyone really, and stretched the school day out to about ten bloody hours depending on how focused the kid was.

Was actually discussing this today could be a good time to trial it.

I notice you didnt answer the question.

What question? What would be my preferred solution?

Small equipments = dishwasher
    Rooms, halls, desks, chairs etc =fogger

I've been talking about it for the last 2 pages????

What would be your solution to cleaning small equipment? The time taken and the effectiveness are considerations as they will cost

It's posted above, UV cabinets! I worked in research for several years with infectious agents and this would be my personal preferred method, obviously others would have different ideas.

Based on your experience what would you suggest?

It's posted above, UV cabinets! I worked in research for several years with infectious agents and this would be my personal preferred method, obviously others would have different ideas.

Based on your experience what would you suggest?
    I agreeded with the UV light. I think I thanked your post. I think it's a great idea.

How much experience have you in maintaining work place hygiene to prevent the spread of covid during during a pandemic?

I have 7 months of practical experience

Goldstar to that boy! Well instead of being sarcastic you could over proper advice. It would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Research shows that beyond reading and tables, it doesn’t really benefit the kids either. 100% on board with that.

Personally I give my class the absolute minimum that I can get away with and give it all on a Monday so they schedule it themselves (around the dancing/gymnastics/swimming etc). Would highly recommend trying at least that to other teachers, it’s very freeing for you and them.

What question? What would be my preferred solution?

Small equipments = dishwasher
    Rooms, halls, desks, chairs etc =fogger

I've been talking about it for the last 2 pages????

am- zarusthra's question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Or train school cleaners to actually clean properly and pay them for hours worked, not the weekly miserly sum they get

There is a severe shortage of good cleaners right now, took us two months to secure one to come just twice a week. Pay is good, well over the going rate too, but it always was anyway.

Regular staff were doing the cleaning in the interim, not ideal given the additional covid related workload they have already.

Teachers won't have time to do much more than clean their own immediate area as in their own desk maybe.

Cleaning toys and whole classrooms is not something we really want teachers bogged down in.

Proper cleaning professionals will be difficult to source, maybe a good business idea for someone, it's certainly a growing market.

I'm going to take a look at UV cabinets next week for two of our practical rooms with shared, awkward equipment. and see how practical and safe it would be in a school environment. My concern is I know the cheaper ones wouldn't have the security checks that a school night need but I've seen some promising ones for around 100-150. For it to be effective it would need to be available, fast, safe.....UV itself is dangerous. I'll post on here once I take a proper look and do a big more research into how much is needed to be sure you've sterisilsed everything.

• Advertisement

There is a severe shortage of good cleaners right now, took us two months to secure one to come just twice a week. Pay is good, well over the going rate too, but it always was anyway.

Regular staff were doing the cleaning in the interim, not ideal given the additional covid related workload they have already.

Teachers won't have time to do much more than clean their own immediate area as in their own desk maybe.

Cleaning toys and whole classrooms is not something we really want teachers bogged down in.

Proper cleaning professionals will be difficult to source, maybe a good business idea for someone, it's certainly a growing market.

That would be a good idea to source out and maybe help someone on a covid payment get a business up and running.

am- zarusthra's question

Do you mean do I have anything backed up by science?

Do you want the science to back up that washing stuff prevents the spread of covid or that sanitizer needs to touch a surface to sanitise it?

Do you mean do I have anything backed up by science?

Do you want the science to back up that washing stuff prevents the spread of covid or that sanitizer needs to touch a surface to sanitise it?

Am-zaruthra asked a question not me but you didnt answer it.

Am-zaruthra asked a question not me but you didnt answer it.

Can you tell me what the question was? I've scrolled back through the posts and I've answered the only question I've seen in the last post

morebabies wrote: »
    Does anyone know if asthma in a child that usually requires at least one emergency dept visit over the autumn/ winter period falls into the high risk category for children returning to school in Ireland? I have 2 children like this, but I obviously know children with much more severe illnesses like CF, who should be prioritised for the (annoyingly vague) remote learning option and I don't want to be seen as abusing the system for teachers who will already be under severe pressure. Any input would be appreciated.

If the asthma is severe enough to need hospitalisation then you should have no qualms about asking for remote learning.

While there is worry about winter season, it may actually turn out not to be as bad as we think with the regular illnesses, if most people are following the guidelines then we might actually see a reduction in the usual respiratory stuff. Hopefully you can avoid all of that this year.

You shouldn't worry about anyone else, do what's best for your child. If you consider them high risk if they caught covid then you should ask that they are treated accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Great to see everyone sharing knowledge and coming up with ways to keep the little ones and their teachers safe.

Be careful not to feed the trolls.
    Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Research shows that beyond reading and tables, it doesn’t really benefit the kids either. 100% on board with that.

Personally I give my class the absolute minimum that I can get away with and give it all on a Monday so they schedule it themselves (around the dancing/gymnastics/swimming etc). Would highly recommend trying at least that to other teachers, it’s very freeing for you and them.

This is the same as me. I only give homework because I have to but I do see the value in reading. I give homework on Monday and let them figure out what way they want to do it. We have finally decided to stop giving spelling homework this year so it will be just tables and reading from me now with the odd bit of extra thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I like your approach, everyone is happy then.

Should be a DES policy, but going by the posts on here, we could be waiting for a decision on homework for a long while, but to me, it makes a lot of sense, pressure off teachers and parents to either help their kids or correct it respectively.

No brainer IMV, and I don't know of any research that supports it. But take that with a pinch of salt, I'm out of the loop a while now!

Would definitely reduce the amount of items being brought home (and then back into school).

I don't know a single parent that likes homework, after school time should be for family, friends, hobbies and sport etc.

From a risk reduction point of view it makes sense, everything from books to equipment goes in day one and stays in school. Plus we all hate homework :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    This is the same as me. I only give homework because I have to but I do see the value in reading. I give homework on Monday and let them figure out what way they want to do it. We have finally decided to stop giving spelling homework this year so it will be just tables and reading from me now with the odd bit of extra thrown in.

I’ve questioned the efficacy of spellings for a long time. Glad I’m not alone . I’d have thought it a good idea as suggested above to move to online platforms for homework also, preferably the platform that would be intended for use of distance learning where needed again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement