Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Posh Dave

I think you all are missing the point that there is no such thing as absolute safety. If you need to wear PPE, then wear it. Other professions have managed. What makes teachers so special?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There'll be a massive decrease in the usage of shared equipment and supplies, so a lot wont be needed and wont be suitable for use.

You'll need to adapt to manage without them post covid.

Did I mention shared equipment? These are mine. I don't share stuff I have bought myself. In our school we all keep what we use in our own rooms as we don't have a central storage area for the likes of for example art supplies.

Posh Dave wrote: »
    I think you all are missing the point that there is no such thing as absolute safety. If you need to wear PPE, then wear it. Other professions have managed. What makes teachers so special?

Ahh the use of the phrase 'absolute safety'. Just given yourself away. A previous poster used to be fond of the liberal use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

There'll be a massive decrease in the usage of shared equipment and supplies, so a lot wont be needed and wont be suitable for use.

You'll need to adapt to manage without them post covid.

Is that your expert opinion as someone who hasn’t a clue of how classrooms or schools actually operate?

so what makes teachers so special then?

• Advertisement

Murple wrote: »
    Is that your expert opinion as someone who hasn’t a clue of how classrooms or schools actually operate?

No that would be the expert opinion of someone who has seven months experience of covid cleaning!!

Posh Dave wrote: »
    so what makes teachers so special then?

Fairy dust.

would it be self inflated sense of importance and entitlement?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

This thread is just one long troll at this stage. For anyone anxious about the return and looking for practical advice there's other helpful threads elsewhere in this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Fairy dust.

Is it airborne or just the regular droplet type :D jk

I've started putting together some supplies to do a little "Covid pack" to put in each of their school bags.

Tissues, hand san, small towel, pack of clinical wipes.

Also, I picked up a few visors today just in case and would recommend anyone with secondary kids to do the same. They will probably be difficult to get by September.

Handy and light to stick in the schoolbag if it does come to some classes being over the capacity quota.

Is there anything else that would be useful to have?

• Advertisement

Is it airborne or just the regular droplet type :D jk

I've started putting together some supplies to do a little "Covid pack" to put in each of their school bags.

Tissues, hand san, small towel, pack of clinical wipes.

Also, I picked up a few visors today just in case and would recommend anyone with secondary kids to do the same. They will probably be difficult to get by September.

Handy and light to stick in the schoolbag if it does come to some classes being over the capacity quota.

Is there anything else that would be useful to have?

Disposable gloves incase the hand San goes missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Disposable gloves incase the hand San goes missing?

Good idea, I've been keeping the empty smaller bottles of hand san and will just refill those for school bag.

I have always had a small zip lock pack in the bag since the swine flu pandemic but need to up the game now.

I see there's a few websites doing the school hygiene packs now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭R11

This thread is just one long troll at this stage. For anyone anxious about the return and looking for practical advice there's other helpful threads elsewhere in this forum

Can you pm me links to other threads please. I'm a primary teacher who's very anxious and would like practical advice on how best to return safely. Certainly can't be found on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Murple wrote: »

It's in this document

COVID-19
    Interim Recommendations for the reopening of schools and educational
    facilities

Art Equipment
    • Where possible students should be encouraged to have their own individual art and equipment supplies.

Shared Sports Equipment
    • Children should be encouraged to perform hand hygiene before and after these activities.
    • Minimize equipment sharing, and clean shared equipment between use by different people.

Art Equipment
    • Where possible students should be encouraged to have their own individual art and equipment supplies.

You give them a list of what to bring in for art. You know full well there will be at least one doesn't bring it in. Extra Gaeilge for them so 😜

You give them a list of what to bring in for art. You know full well there will be at least one doesn't bring it in. Extra Gaeilge for them so 😜

And in your post covid strategy you run out to the portacbin to get it?

What will you use to sanitise it before giving it to the child?

You do realise pre or post Covid you don't leave the children unattended in the classroom....

You do realise pre or post Covid you don't leave the children unattended in the classroom....

That's why I'm concerned about you nipping out to the portacbin for your personal art supply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Alrigghty

Well I asked you specific and you have not answered them. You claim to be a covid cleaning expert and anytime anyone has asked a specific quesiton you have quoted from the manual or avoided answering or gave irrelevent answers. FOr example I asked what clothes you would wear and the answer was all of the above nowhere is clothes mentioned. I didnt ask what Dept require, I asked what step by step guide you would give and got not response.

Interesting, I am starting to think you are not here to help.

khalessi wrote: »
    Alrigghty

Well I asked you specific and you have not answered them. You claim to be a covid cleaning expert and anytime anyone has asked a specific quesiton you have quoted from the manual or avoided answering or gave irrelevent answers. FOr example I asked what clothes you would wear and the answer was all of the above nowhere is clothes mentioned. I didnt ask what Dept require, I asked what step by step guide you would give and got not response.

Interesting, I am starting to think you are not here to help.

Gloves apron mask for worn cleaning. Clothes should be easily to wash and washed after cleaning in a washing machine

You can also get full body suits if the budget allows

• Advertisement

Gloves apron mask for worn cleaning. Clothes should be easily to wash and washed after cleaning in a washing machine

SO basically nothing different from a nurse for example and you questioned me last night about my experience. I honestly think you are chancing your arm, covid expert me foot. I have done more working with infectious diseases then you seem to have and it was pre covid and better ppe than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You can also get full body suits if the budget allows

You’re more of a parody than your buddy Dave!!!

SO basically nothing different from a nurse for example and you questioned me last night about my experience. I honestly think you are chancing your arm, covid expert me foot.

Was the cleaner wearing this protection before covid? Ate nurses cleaning the school?

Was the cleaner wearing this protection before covid? Ate nurses cleaning the school?

Doesn't matter if they are or not my point is you are chancing your arm. Vague answers no step by step guide and you have no idea who works in schools so not relevent.

That's why I'm concerned about you nipping out to the portacbin for your personal art supply

So back to the child doing extra Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Who says anything about giving it to the child? In primary, each teacher teaches 11 subjects. Each of these requires its own equipment whether it is books to read to the class, materials for experiments, visual aids and other materials for each theme in Gaeilge, materials such as 3D shapes or balances for weight in maths, display materials for each season, clay for art, paint, paper, markers, a globe, readers for English, flash cards etc etc. They are not all used at the same time obviously but will be needed over the course of the term or the school year.
    Obviously we will be making adjustments to how we teach. One way will be demonstrating rather than allowing groups to do experiments. It won’t be as effective of course but it will still require equipment.

Oh btw yeap the cleaner was wearing a mask gloves and apron. Go figure its a pandemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

As a teacher, if the current numbers continue, I will not be sending my own children in to school. End of story.

Doesn't matter if they are or not my point is you are chancing your arm. Vague answers no step by step guide and you have no idea who works in schools so not relevent.

This document is a step by step. Also theres the step by step guide on mechanical wiping.

https://static.rasset.ie › 2020/07PDF
    Web results
    COVID-19

Cleaning Procedure for Toys
    • Wash the toy in warm soapy water, using a brush to get into crevices.
    • Rinse the toy in clean water.
    • Thoroughly dry the toy.
    • Some hard-plastic toys may be suitable for cleaning in the dishwasher.
    • Toys that cannot be immersed in water that is electronic or wind up should be wiped with a damp cloth
    and dried.
    In some situations, toys/equipment may need to be disinfected following cleaning for example:
    Toys/equipment that pupils place in their mouths, Toys/equipment that have been soiled with blood or
    body fluids or toys used where a case of COVID-19 has been identified.
    • If disinfection is required: A chlorine releasing disinfectant should be used diluted to a concentration of
    1,000ppm available chlorine. The item should be rinsed and dried thoroughly.

What is it you feel it's lacking? I would consider it a robust step by step guide.

• Advertisement

Oh btw yeap the cleaner was wearing a mask gloves and apron. Go figure its a pandemic

Luckily you'll have no extra cost for ppe then. One less thing to worry about!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement