Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Blondini wrote: »
    As a teacher, if the current numbers continue, I will not be sending my own children in to school. End of story.

And does that mean you have to stay at home as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Will Yam wrote: »
    And does that mean you have to stay at home as well?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Luckily you'll have no extra cost for ppe then. One less thing to worry about!

A major assumption there from our expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This document is a step by step. Also theres the step by step guide on mechanical wiping.

https://static.rasset.ie › 2020/07PDF
    Web results
    COVID-19

Cleaning Procedure for Toys
    • Wash the toy in warm soapy water, using a brush to get into crevices.
    • Rinse the toy in clean water.
    • Thoroughly dry the toy.
    • Some hard-plastic toys may be suitable for cleaning in the dishwasher.
    • Toys that cannot be immersed in water that is electronic or wind up should be wiped with a damp cloth
    and dried.
    In some situations, toys/equipment may need to be disinfected following cleaning for example:
    Toys/equipment that pupils place in their mouths, Toys/equipment that have been soiled with blood or
    body fluids or toys used where a case of COVID-19 has been identified.
    • If disinfection is required: A chlorine releasing disinfectant should be used diluted to a concentration of
    1,000ppm available chlorine. The item should be rinsed and dried thoroughly.

What is it you feel it's lacking? I would consider it a robust step by step guide.

There you are again, I am well aware of the document thanks. I asked you based on your 7 months covid clenaing experience how you would approach cleaning a room. But you did not respond. I didnt ask for the document I asked for your experience as you seem to imply it could be better than that.

I think you are bull****ting and not here to help at all and not an expert in covid cleaning either.

Pity as it could have given us something to approach the schools with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

khalessi wrote: »
    There you are again, I am well aware of the document thanks. I asked you based on your 7 months covid clenaing experience how you would approach cleaning a room. But you did not respond. I didnt ask for the document I asked for your experience as you seem to imply it could be better than that.

I think you are bull****ting and not here to help at all and not an expert in covid cleaning either.

Pity as it could have given us something to approach the schools with.

Sorry I can't break it down for you anymore

Routine cleaning: Hovering, sweeping, mopping, washing, wiping over surfaces.
    Additional commonly touched items cleaned e.g. light switches door handles
    Then fogging
    Small equipment in the diswasher

If you let me know which part exactly you are struggling with I'll do my best to simplify it more e.g. instructions to switch the Hoover on or whatever it is you're seeking

• Advertisement

Sorry I can't break it down for you anymore

Routine cleaning
    Hovering, wiping over surfaces
    Then fogging
    Small equipment in the diswasher

If you let me know which part exactly you are struggling with I'll do my best to simplify it more e.g. iinstructiibs to switch the Hoover on or whatever it is you're seeking

Thank you I have noticed your difficulty with comprehension, good try though.

Thank you I have noticed your difficulty with comprehension, good try though.

You need it step by step and simpler than that?

Lol, it be covered in your covid training after the section on mechanical wiping. Both obviously needed.

You need it step by step and simpler than that?

Lol, it be covered in your covid training after the section on mechanical wiping. Both obviously needed.

Well oh its fine sure i will just for you not to answer a question and quote from the guidellines we all have read. If that is what is covered in your 7 months of covid cleaning training I think we are in trouble.

Well oh its fine sure i will just for you not to answer a question and quote from the guidellines we all have read. If that is what is covered in your 7 months of covid cleaning training I think we are in trouble.

I asked you to clarify what exactly you feel its lacking. But you dont .

I asked you to clarify what exactly you feel its lacking. But you dont .

See previous posts, I dont know if there is a point in me repeating myself to someone who evades answering the question.

THanks anyhow for your input it was something, just not sure what.

• Advertisement

See previous posts, I dont know if there is a point in me repeating myself to someone who eveades answering the question.

THanks anyhow for your input it was something, just not sure what.

No point in me repeating myself again you'll never grasp it. I bet the school cleaners will have no problem grasping.

Mechanical wiping
    Santisiation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

No point in me repeating myself again you'll never grasp it. I bet the school cleaners will have no problem grasping.

Mechanical wiping
    Santisiation

Mechanical posting
    Non sanitary arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Just looking at the requirements there. If a lot of toys are suitable for cleaning in a dishwasher, it would probably make a lot of sense to install a few dishwashers in every school. They'r not that expensive. A good basic Bosch dishwasher is €400. So, €1600 would give you 4 machines, which would cover cleaning staffroom cups, plates etc and also all the younger kids washable toys every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Santisiation

How does that work? Do we all put on big white beards and a red suit?

Just looking at the requirements there. If a lot of toys are suitable for cleaning in a dishwasher, it would probably make a lot of sense to install a few dishwashers in every school. They'r not that expensive. A good basic Bosch dishwasher is €400. So, €1600 would give you 4 machines, which would cover cleaning staffroom cups, plates etc and also all the younger kids washable toys every day.

It really would be a good idea and be a time and money saving. And under the current circumstances would be not a luxury. Its not comparable to buying one just for the teachers cups pre covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It really would be a good idea and be a time and money saving. And under the current circumstances would be a luxury. Its not comparable to buying one just for the teachers cups pre covid.

Jesus you've changed your tune. So now it's a luxury. Hard to keep up with ya.

I agree it's a great idea if the finance is still there after other things are sorted. Believe it or not they would be very much considered a luxury.

It really would be a good idea and be a time and money saving. And under the current circumstances would be a luxury. Its not comparable to buying one just for the teachers cups pre covid.

Gas thing about that was the teachers bought it, it wasn't provided, like most things.

You'd really need a pair of dishwashers in say Junior and Senior infants at the very least, with enough capacity to handle all the washable toys and handled items at the end of the day.

It could be a fairly standard piece of essential kit and even when covid goes away, they'd still be handy and also opens up the possibility of ensuring that classrooms at that age group have some plumbing for a sink.

Also they're extremely safe machines and exist in most kitchens, so it's not like they're any big deal to have installed in a classroom.

Also in any office / school staffroom type arrangement a dishwasher should be more or less mandatory as they really eliminate the risk of bugs moving around through shared cups, even at the best of times without COVID, office kitchens and staff rooms are notoriously problematic for spreading flu and colds as people don't wash cups properly and it's a huge time saver to have a machine there.

I always found Ireland and Britain have notions about some things being 'luxuries' when they're far from it. A dishwasher is normal piece of kitchen kit and they've become ubiquitous in homes at this stage.

Jesus you've changed your tune. So now it's a luxury. Hard to keep up with ya.

I agree it's a great idea if the finance is still there after other things are sorted. Believe it or not they would be very much considered a luxury.

No, just a typo, that should say not a luxury. My previous posts where the luxury of dishwashers was discussed will verify that :) will edit now

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

It really would be a good idea and be a time and money saving. And under the current circumstances would be not a luxury. Its not comparable to buying one just for the teachers cups pre covid.

It would be a luxury alright. We are lucky enough to have got one for the staff room for the year gone. At least we will be able to use it to clean some plastic toys given 'Staff must use and clean their own equipment and utensils (cup, cutlery, plate etc.)' as per the guidelines
    You'd really need a pair of dishwashers in say Junior and Senior infants at the very least, with enough capacity to handle all the washable toys and handled items at the end of the day.

It could be a fairly standard piece of essential kit and even when covid goes away, they'd still be handy and also opens up the possibility of ensuring that classrooms at that age group have some plumbing for a sink.

Also they're extremely safe machines and exist in most kitchens, so it's not like they're any big deal to have installed in a classroom.

Also in any office / school staffroom type arrangement a dishwasher should be more or less mandatory as they really eliminate the risk of bugs moving around through shared cups, even at the best of times without COVID, office kitchens and staff rooms are notoriously problematic for spreading flu and colds as people don't wash cups properly and it's a huge time saver to have a machine there.

I always found Ireland and Britain have notions about some things being 'luxuries' when they're far from it. A dishwasher is normal piece of kitchen kit and they've become ubiquitous in homes at this stage.

I would consider space a lot to do with it. I don't know of too many classrooms that would have room to include a dishwasher. Also I am not sure how a school could fund a dishwasher per classroom.

• Advertisement

Was chatting to our principal earlier and she mentioned that the decision to close the staffroom is now being reconsidered but if it is reopened that the kettle, toaster, microwave, all Delph and cutlery will be removed. People will need to bring their own. If people want to make tea during the day they will need to bring their hot water in a flask.
    Doesn't impact on me as I drink neither.

It would be a luxury alright. We are lucky enough to have got one for the staff room for the year gone. At least we will be able to use it to clean some plastic toys given 'Staff must use and clean their own equipment and utensils (cup, cutlery, plate etc.)' as per the guidelines

I would consider space a lot to do with it. I don't know of too many classrooms that would have room to include a dishwasher. Also I am not sure how a school could fund a dishwasher per classroom.

How much time will it take to load a dishwasher vs manually wiping or washing them? It'll have to be done either way . How will the be washed? The alternative is to pay some one to wash then in a sink or basin?

Was chatting to our principal earlier and she mentioned that the decision to close the staffroom is now being reconsidered but if it is reopened that the kettle, toaster, microwave, all Delph and cutlery will be removed. People will need to bring their own. If people want to make tea during the day they will need to bring their hot water in a flask.
    Doesn't impact on me as I drink neither.

The guidelines do state 'Staff must use and clean their own equipment and utensils (cup, cutlery, plate etc.)' and while I do not drink tea or coffee I don't think removing kettles, microwaves etc. is warranted really. The contact is minimal and easily leave wipes beside these items to wipe before and after use. That is if we manage to get a break and can use the staffroom in any capacity.

If these items are to be removed, the photocopier will have to be removed too!

How much time will it take to load a dishwasher vs manually wiping or washing them? It'll have to be done either way . How will the be washed? The alternative is to pay some one to wash then in a sink or basin?

I'm not sure how big people think a dishwasher is. I mean you can literally just put one in the corner. Put a shelf over it and it becomes part of the furniture / storage space on top. They're not huge machines and the plumbing involved = 1 mains water pipe + a drain and they just plug into a normal socket.

It's not a huge deal.

Also, any chance parents / community might be able to help on this or even some of the manufacturers. It would be a HUGE advertising coup for one of the big retailers or brands to sponsor and offer at cost.

The guidelines do state 'Staff must use and clean their own equipment and utensils (cup, cutlery, plate etc.)' and while I do not drink tea or coffee I don't think removing kettles, microwaves etc. is warranted really. The contact is minimal and easily leave wipes beside these items to wipe before and after use. That is if we manage to get a break and can use the staffroom in any capacity.

If these items are to be removed, the photocopier will have to be removed too!

Handles of kettles and photocopier panels fall under the common use touch. It's not necessary to remove them, theyp should be added to the enhanced cleaning schedule. The number of teachers in the staff room at once will need to be limited .

I don't think the alternative is to pay some one to wash them :confused: I don't know of that in any school!

As I have noted the guidelines state 'Staff must use and clean their own equipment and utensils (cup, cutlery, plate etc.)' therefore when you are finished you either wash them in the sink yourself and bring back to your classroom or pop in a bag and bring home to your own dishwasher. It isn't that hard really.

I don't think the alternative is to pay some one to wash them :confused: I don't know of that in any school!

As I have noted the guidelines state 'Staff must use and clean their own equipment and utensils (cup, cutlery, plate etc.)' therefore when you are finished you either wash them in the sink yourself and bring back to your classroom or pop in a bag and bring home to your own dishwasher. It isn't that hard really.

What? You don't think schools will be washing toys and shared equipment post covid? I beg to differ. It'll be the new normal.

I'm not sure how big people think a dishwasher is. I mean you can literally just put one in the corner. Put a shelf over it and it becomes part of the furniture / storage space on top. They're not huge machines and the plumbing involved = 1 mains water pipe + a drain and they just plug into a normal socket.

It's not a huge deal.

Also, any chance parents / community might be able to help on this or even some of the manufacturers. It would be a HUGE advertising coup for one of the big retailers or brands to sponsor and offer at cost.

I don't think a dishwasher is that big. I just couldn't justify the need for one in my classroom to the principal when I can barely fit my class in without the mention of SD with very little extra furniture. Barely have a sink stuck in the corner.

Handles of kettles and photocopier panels fall under the common use touch. It's not necessary to remove them, theyp should be added to the enhanced cleaning schedule. The number of teachers in the staff room at once will need to be limited .

Our breaks are now staggered so traffic at any given time will be very low now due to increased yard duty as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You'd be very much surprised how much of a very big deal that could be.

That's at least 2 trades straight away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement