Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I don't think a dishwasher is that big. I just couldn't justify the need for one in my classroom to the principal when I can barely fit my class in without the mention of SD with very little extra furniture. Barely have a sink stuck in the corner.

Also when we are essentially being told to strip our rooms of storage. Our caretaker is dismantling our custom storage over the weekend that is fixed to the walls to create more space. Don't think people realise how small some of the rooms are. All the reports from classrooms I've seen on the news are from new builds with large floor space. That is not the norm for most classrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

What? You don't think schools will be washing toys and shared equipment post covid? I beg to differ. It'll be the new normal.

I was just talking in relation to staff items. I wasn't speaking in relation to toys and shared equipment. It would be something that could be considered but in the absence of that I am proposing getting mesh bags putting the items into them (even the kids can do this at the end of Aistear for example), washing them with hot water and detergent/cleaner and hanging them up to dry.

It would probably take longer than loading the dishwasher I admit but I do not think every toy / shared item will be suitable for the dishwasher in the first place. Nevertheless it would not be an option to get a dishwasher into my classroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Also when we are essentially being told to strip our rooms of storage. Our caretaker is dismantling our custom storage over the weekend that is fixed to the walls to creat more space. Don't think people realise how small some of the rooms are. All the reports from classrooms I've seen on the news are from new builds with large floor space. That is not the norm for most classrooms.

Put it in the staff room then

Schools won’t be able to go back but they’ll be forced because it’s free childcare.

Put all storage in the staff room? Are you smoking crack or something, or just living on another planet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Most staffrooms are closed, we have been told that staff stay in a bubble mixing with the teachers of their year group only and the staff room closed.

Put all storage in the staff room? Are you smoking crack or something, or just living on another planet?

Ahh sure that poster suggested that things should be put into an empty industrial unit. HAS NOT GOT A CLUE.

I was just talking in relation to staff items. I wasn't speaking in relation to toys and shared equipment. It would be something that could be considered but in the absence of that I am proposing getting mesh bags putting the items into them (even the kids can do this at the end of Aistear for example), washing them with hot water and detergent/cleaner and hanging them up to dry.

It would probably take longer than loading the dishwasher I admit but I do not think every toy / shared item will be suitable for the dishwasher in the first place. Nevertheless it would not be an option to get a dishwasher into my classroom.

The teacher is going to stand with a basin of hot water and wash all these 30 toys before hanging them up to dry at the end of every day? I cant see that happening. they'll be put in the washing machine or dishwasher. Do you have a clothes line ?

If they are not suitable to be easy cleaned they wont be an issue because they'll have be removed

If we are allowed to use our staff room we'd fit two staff members in with social distancing, three if you put them in the door way. I wish I had the luxury of working in one of those new purpose built schools but alas that is not the way schools are here in Ireland!

No the dishwasher. Where did I say all storage? Lol

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Most staffrooms are closed, we have been told that staff stay in a bubble mixing with the teachers of their year group only and the staff room closed.

Well there should be loads of space in them if they are closed to staff for general use

The teacher is going to stand with a basin of hot water and wash all these 30 toys before hanging them up to dry at the end of every day? I cant see that happening. they'll be put in the washing machine or dishwasher. Do you have a clothes line ?

If they are not suitable to be easy cleaned they wont be an issue because they'll have be removed

Going to keep items within a pod as much as I can and clean regularly which in the guidelines is listed as weekly for example. By grouping items into mesh bags would reduce the number of items and then hang above the sink over the weekend.

No the dishwasher. Where did I say all storage? Lol

In the post you quoted it’s very much implied. No mention of a dish washer in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Well there should be loads of space in them if they are closed to staff for general use

Space for the dishwasher in the room we cant access as it is security access.

Yeah sure even though no one can use it, sure put 10 in for all the use they will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

What? You don't think schools will be washing toys and shared equipment post covid? I beg to differ. It'll be the new normal.

I think though that's one of the problems we're all facing. There's an assumption that COVID-19 is going to be resolved by Christmas somehow. That's looking extremely unlikely and we may have to deal with practical containment measures for months or even several years.

So put the basic infrastructure in place to make life more livable.

khalessi wrote: »
    Space for the dishwasher in the room we cant access as it is security access.

Yeah sure even though no one can use it, sure put 10 in for all the use they will be.

The numbers using it have to be limited.

I'm sure if they purchased equipment and put it in it that was needed for cleaning they would allow access on a rota. Once it's was limited numbers at any one time.

That's gas, you think they wouldn't grant access if the machines were in there.

Is the empty staff room being used as a satellite classroom, Or has your school the luxury of being able to have unused rooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

I wonder if the Department of Education could create 'COVID and cleaning pods' for schools. Basically, a portacabin delivered on site with:

1) Extra storage rooms, to elevate problems with lack of space in the main building.
    2) All the necessary equipment to clean and space to store it.
    3) Dishwashers, maybe a washing machine for soft toys etc.
    4) Maybe a sick room + shower facility (to Dept of Health specs)

Exempt it from any planning permission as a temporary structure. Roll it in, plug it in to electricity and water and off you go.

You could easily create a series of modular buildings / portacabins with stuff like this that could be delivered to suit needs of each school

I wonder if the Department of Education could create 'COVID and cleaning pods' for schools. Basically, a portacabin delivered on site with:

1) Extra storage rooms, to elevate problems with lack of space in the main building.
    2) All the necessary equipment to clean and space to store it.
    3) Dishwashers, maybe a washing machine for soft toys etc.
    4) Maybe a sick room + shower facility (to Dept of Health specs)

Exempt it from any planning permission as a temporary structure. Roll it in, plug it in to electricity and water and off you go.

You could easily create a series of modular buildings / portacabins with stuff like this that could be delivered to suit needs of each school

Sense and practical solutions aren't something the department are familiar with. Remember something like this would have to go through the government procurement/tender system anyway.
    In a previous career I was caught up in it and you'd tear your hair out at how complex things were, when they were actually simple.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’d love feedback on how parents feel sending their children back to classes where the 2m recommendation and PPE regulations are ignored .

I’d love feedback on how parents feel sending their children back to classes where the 2m recommendation and PPE regulations are ignored .

Grand. They are very good with thier hand and cough etiquette. I also trust that the school staff to implement the enhanced cleaning and covid protocols and windows will be opened. It will take a little bit of them to get use to the satellite classrooms but they are prepared for things ti have changed. There may be a closure st some stage and I hope that the it system the teachers school used during lockdown is routinely used to keep the children prepared to use it if that happens. But overall I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Kids are social, that's why headlice is still a problem.

They're typically v low risk, and their parents are typically low risk.

No more guff about "but what if grandparents have to babysit".. Plenty of unemployed people are capable of babysitting.

Send them back already!

Plenty of unemployed graduate teachers are able to step up if teachers choose to quarantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Sense and practical solutions aren't something the department are familiar with. Remember something like this would have to go through the government procurement/tender system anyway.
    In a previous career I was caught up in it and you'd tear your hair out at how complex things were, when they were actually simple.

Most government departments use similar tender processes, it's a miracle that anything gets done at all and the lead time needs to be very long (not a chance in 4 weeks).

Even then its not infallible, not long since schools were shut due to shoddy building practices and some even now are still awaiting remedial works.

I think that they will definitely have to do something about the tendering and procurement because its just not going to be possible to implement in 4 weeks.

I do feel that some of the changes we will see in schools will be positive (and hopefully reduce the number of routine illnesses while we're at it).

It's good that a spotlight has been put on how much investment is needed for schools.

antix80 wrote: »

Plenty of unemployed graduate teachers are able to step up if teachers choose to quarantine.

Why has there been a sub crisis so the past number of years if there are so many unemployed teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Many schools have no staff room

Why has there been a sub crisis so the past number of years if there are so many unemployed teachers?

There hasn't been. The unions create these crises. One minute they tell us there are no jobs for subs, then that there are no subs for jobs.

It's good that a spotlight has been put on how much investment is needed for schools.

I think the government are banking on schools reopening without the work even starting and then they can quietly stop the funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Is it possible to create a poll on your post? I'd be interested to see what the general feeling is too. All the health precautions Dr. Ronan Glynn advised this evening in his statement are set to be ignored according to the current government advice re: school reopening.
    In answer to your question, no, I won't want to send my kids back as things stand at the moment.

There hasn't been. The unions create these crises. One minute they tell us there are no jobs for subs, then that there are no subs for jobs.

Why then have we been unable to find a proper for approximately the past 2 years?

You need to take off the tinfoil hat.

Why then have we been unable to find a proper for approximately the past 2 years?

You need to take off the tinfoil hat.

Permit eu teachers. Ditch the irish lang requirement. Ditch the masters of education. And cut the dole.

Everything will click into place.

And there's plenty of grads besides all that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

Trust me, you are 100% incorrect and I know first hand. I think we will muddle through getting back to school okay. But you are either misinformed or bluffing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement