Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

Surely the vast majority.of parents will be sending their kids to school

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Frankx wrote: »

For sure, if government will provide some better, workable, common sense plan. But they kinda keep failing to provide something which would actually make sense..

xhomelezz wrote: »
    For sure, if government will provide some better, workable, common sense plan. But they kinda keep failing to provide something which would actually make sense..

It's a fudge

Bottom line is kids bunching and hanging out in school is going to negate all the other stuff like disinfectant anyway

It's a fudge

Bottom line is kids bunching and hanging out in school is going to negate all the other stuff like disinfectant anyway

After the seat belt study on Masks thread, awesome :D

tenor.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Half of parents are worried and a fifth aren't happy to send them back. I can't help but feel like the other proportion either aren't informed about the situation or are wilfully ignorant.

Communication has been very poor from schools, mostly because they've been tasked with an actually impossible feat of creating space where there is none, and are understandably bricking it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0729/1156360-barnardos-survey/

Of the children themselves, 60% are worried about covid. That's nearly 2 out of every three kids who are preoccupied about this right now. The awful thing is that they're completely right to be worried and they're probably not even fully informed about it either. I find it interesting that 10% more children than corresponding parents are worried. I wonder if it's anything to do with chucking them out regardless of risk. Like I said, wilful ignorance. Maybe that's where the vitriol against schools comes from in here. Adults used to have a responsibility to children to make sure they are safe.

Imagine if teachers came on going "wah wah entitled parents thinking you can just chuck your kids out of the house". Haha not a great look for the education profession, but then it says a lot about their professionalism that they've been able to restrain themselves from doing that in the face of the absolute muck being slung day in day out in here. I'd love to know what jobs certain individuals on this thread actually have that afford them such generous time off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

I just cannot figure out how that is going to work.

There's higher and ordinary level Irish, English and Maths then a choice of one of three subjects in each of four non-core subject groups.

That's 648 (2*2*2*3*3*3*3) possible combinations of subject choices for a 5th or 6th year student. Most students will still have to move from room to room according to their subject choices. Only a handful are likely to be able to stay in a room from one subject to the next and even then are likely to have to move rooms for the subject after next.

Teachers not having a base room is only going to lead to both teachers and pupils having to move at change of class.

Your school might have to limit subject choices

s1ippy wrote: »
    Half of parents are worried and a fifth aren't happy to send them back. I can't help but feel like the other proportion either aren't informed about the situation or are wilfully ignorant.

Communication has been very poor from schools, mostly because they've been tasked with an actually impossible feat of creating space where there is none, and are understandably bricking it.

Of the children themselves, 60% are worried about covid. That's nearly 2 out of every three kids who are preoccupied about this right now. The awful thing is that they're completely right to be worried and they're probably not even fully informed about it either. I find it interesting that 10% more children than corresponding parents are worried. I wonder if it's anything to do with chucking them out regardless of risk. Like I said, wilful ignorance. Maybe that's where the vitriol against schools comes from in here. Adults used to have a responsibility to children to make sure they are safe.

Imagine if teachers came on going "wah wah entitled parents thinking you can just chuck your kids out of the house". Haha not a great look for the education profession, but then it says a lot about their professionalism that they've been able to restrain themselves from doing that in the face of the absolute muck being slung day in day out in here. I'd love to know what jobs certain individuals on this thread actually have that afford them such generous time off.

That's about it, wilful ignorance plus something like oh come on, it will never happen to us, Covid-19 hmmm no don't know anyone who got sick etc., FB and Twitter viable source of information twats.

What jobs they have, well that's the question..

The problem with the bashing is that eventually it costs

No incentive to go the extra mile with kids in the face of adversity

Yeah imo parents responsibilities stop once they've stuck one up there and squeezed it out. It's about time the state took full responsibility for their citizens from birth and stepped up to the mark. Lazy useless teachers on fully paid holidays.

That's about it, wilful ignorance plus something like oh come on, it will never happen to us, Covid-19 hmmm no don't know anyone who got sick etc., FB and Twitter viable source of information twats.

What jobs they have, well that's the question..

I dont doubt that's there are people on the thread that didn't miss a beat at work the whole way through the pandemic. The heros who kept the country running.

• Advertisement

The problem with the bashing is that eventually it costs

No incentive to go the extra mile with kids in the face of adversity

What incentives are you seeking?

I think I posted a rude thing and accidentally broke the thread. 503s all over the shop.

I don't think that poster is looking for financial reward, they're just saying that with all the terrible slating teachers get in the media and now they're being fla'd and abandoned by the government to take responsibility for what is clearly a trainwreck...

Not an incentive, just literally any reason at all to go along with what is a dangerous and irresponsibly handled situation.

As for frontline workers, have a look there at how many healthcare staff have gone on permanent leave or quit in the last few months.

Not all frontline workers are the unflappable heroes you're holding them up to be, humans just like anyone else. And everyone has the right to make decisions about their own health, if that means leaving a profession I'm sure many people are going to choose their physical and mental wellbeing over finances. There's a huge recession on the way for everyone, if something even remotely safer came along, I'd take my chances.

After the seat belt study on Masks thread, awesome :D

tenor.gif

I actually like the way you communicate via cartoons and emojis

It makes your posts very easy to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Your school might have to limit subject choices

Genius. Brilliant idea. Fewer subjects requires fewer teachers. That’s how we create the surplus of teachers required in the document.
    When teachers get Covid then can be replaced by those who have become surplus to requirements. Who cares about the requirements of the children?? Who cares about the curriculum?? Minor distractions.
    Your work around here is under appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Just my thoughts. We can't be seen to be implementing what the Govt want in the school building and then disregarding it for sport or other school activities.

What they do outside of school we don't concern ourselves with. We have to manage our own situation in school as best we can within the guidelines they have set us.

Some of these kids I manage outside of school.

No, I agree with why it would happen... however as a society it's an absurd ar$e covering excercise. Maybe as the months go on, those types of things will lessen.

I actually like the way you communicate via cartoons and emojis

It makes your posts very easy to understand

Thanks. At some point it's easier to communicate in pics with some individuals.

Genius. Brilliant idea. Fewer subjects requires fewer teachers. That’s how we create the surplus of teachers required in the document.
    When teachers get Covid then can be replaced by those who have become surplus to requirements. Who cares about the requirements of the children?? Who cares about the curriculum?? Minor distractions.
    Your work around here is under appreciated.

If the school cant accommodate all the subject choices they did pre covid, they will have to reduce the number of
    Non core choices offered.

If the school cant accommodate all the subject choices they did pre covid, they will have to reduce the number of

Or just simply reduce amount of kids at school at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Like PE and SPHE?

An utterly biased interpretation of data. Choosing to describe people as wilfully ignorant because they are not as worried about something as you, just look at how clever you are, what a demonstration of your good character. Awful. The thing you find interesting that 10% of children are more "worried" about it would, to me, suggest public opinions like yours are not helpful for the mental health of our children, given the cfr and lack of health implications for the overwhelming majority of people with covid19, and that perhaps you should rein in your terrified outlook on life.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your input, nice to see your anti-virus scans cover here as well as every other conceivable thread on the entire forum. It's quite funny to me that you presume children are wrong and that I have somehow poisoned them into believing falsehoods from afar.

Thanks for your input, nice to see your anti-virus scans cover here as well as every other conceivable thread on the entire forum. It's quite funny to me that you presume children are wrong and that I have somehow poisoned them into believing falsehoods from afar.

Gibberish. See below

Like PE and SPHE?

You mustn't have gotten the chance to read this document yet. Section 2.4

Returning to school: Guidance on learning and school programmes for post primary school leaders and teachers

Schools should continue to timetable SPHE, CSPE and PE across all junior cycle year groups and RSE and PE at senior cycle. The benefits of these courses for the emotional, social and physical development of students are significant.

https://assets.gov.ie/81946/bdd8a450-5d8b-4211-a219-5d6102089df2.docx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Considering the stats around mortality for children I'm pretty sure their fear is more reflection of hysterical parents. Experts are suggesting schools should be back, schools around Europe are or will be back and you claim people sending kids back are willfully ignorant. I think we just understand statistics a bit better than those keeping kids away.

I actually think that some are making Covid worse than it is (and it is bad I'm not denying that) just to have an excuse not to do anything and to cocoon in their little world.

Anyway I got email from school telling us that they will be able to implement social distancing measures in all classes and that they will see them at the end of August.

"Thanks for your input", haha.

Gibberish, I'm afraid. A survey completed at the beginning of July. A biased view of the data. And here you are accusing another poster of having an agenda. Classic.

I dont presume children are wrong, their feelings are valid. But they are feelings, dont necessarily reflect the reality, no more or less than adults, but as adults we have a duty to inform them. Opinions, actions etc like yours are publicly visible and picked on by children. It's not necessarily an anonymous poster on boards they are listening to, not need to be so glib, as best as I can assume, you exist in human form as well.

An utterly biased interpretation of data. Choosing to describe people as wilfully ignorant because they are not as worried about something as you, just look at how clever you are, what a demonstration of your good character. Awful. The thing you find interesting that 10% of children are more "worried" about it would, to me, suggest public opinions like yours are not helpful for the mental health of our children, given the cfr and lack of health implications for the overwhelming majority of people with covid19, and that perhaps you should rein in your terrified outlook on life.

Some way how to twist OP's post, isn't it.

Some way how to twist OP's post, isn't it.

Can you try again with that one, no idea what that means.

Maybe we could set up some observation days at preschools for any anxious teachers. The pre schools have been open for a few weeks now. In order to maintain social distancing the teachers would have to be restricted to looking in through the window but I think it could be a valuable learning experience and help reduce anxiety.

Can you try again with that one, no idea what that means.

Your answer to s1ippy's post. Simple.

• Advertisement

Your answer to s1ippy's post. Simple.

No, still nothing... anyone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement