Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Foreign?, with the WHO coming out and saying this is going to last decades we better get used to our weather and enjoy it in all seasons.
    I've no sympathy for anyone booking next year's sun holiday if they loose their money, pandemic is worse now than it was in January.

Sure we all got vouchers to use. By summer next year the virus will be just the norm and we be off on hols or a vaccine found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Murple wrote: »
    I saw a video produced by the principal of a school for parents showing all the classrooms set up with plenty of space between the desks and a large area cordoned off for the teacher. All rooms still had storage furniture in place and still there was enough room. He showed some classrooms that were quite cramped but said they intended to take 6 pupils from each of 3 rooms and create a new class. It was all very impressive and well done to them. He had a lot in his favour though- a very large number of very spacious classrooms with ensuite toilets, 20-24 pupils per class, entrances to the school in various locations, new buildings underway, large open plan yard, single floor school...

I saw that video too and wondered who is teaching that extra class. Is he putting in an SET teacher for the year or taking the class himself? Looked great on paper but if it's an SET then that's a lot of children with additional needs missing out. Tough choices to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I saw that video too and wondered who is teaching that extra class. Is he putting in an SET teacher for the year or taking the class himself? Looked great on paper but if it's an SET then that's a lot of children with additional needs missing out. Tough choices to be made.

Was wondering that as well. Also the desks in 5th and 6th didn't look anywhere near 1m apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

There has be guidance issued by the department. I linked it. I quoted the bit about pe and phse, have your read it st all? It will be up to each individual school go determine thier own needs and what they can accommodate or not .

You need to start reading the guidance issued and informing yourself
    I have read it. Your posts to date imply you haven't and you don't know the first thing about how schools work. But that's ok too, you have lots like you.

Was wondering that as well. Also the desks in 5th and 6th didn't look anywhere near 1m apart.

Instead of focusing on the desk space, make each class the bubble, staggered times in and out. Kids in tracksuits every day so if the chance arises for PE outside they can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Instead of focusing on the desk space, make each class the bubble, staggered times in and out. Kids in tracksuits every day so if the chance arises for PE outside they can do it.

Problem with staggered times is the buses arrive with a random selection of students from all different years

Problem with staggered times is the buses arrive with a random selection of students from all different years

For the times we are in, is it not possible for parents to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Different area of the yard designated for different classes to wait. All entrance / exits made suitable for use. Where emergency doors are off classrooms, students are kept off the corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

For the times we are in, is it not possible for parents to drive?

For many reasons no.

The most obvious is work. Then there is traffic. Traffic around schools is a nightmare at the best of times and thats with school buses. It would cause huge problems for local communities if every child had to be driven

jrosen wrote: »
    For many reasons no.

The most obvious is work. Then there is traffic. Traffic around schools is a nightmare at the best of times and thats with school buses. It would cause huge problems for local communities if every child had to be driven

Walking & cycle where possible, reduce bus use.

• Advertisement

For many reasons no.

Traffic is very low with covid as loads working from home. Drive within a km of the school and walk?

Most work is very accommodating in the current climate also.

For many reasons no.

Traffic is very low with covid as loads working from home. Drive within a km of the school and walk?

Do the creches have 30 kids with one childcare assistant? I thought their ratios were MUCH lower? :confused:

How many kids had the Corona virus?
    Think you will find very low.

I dont know where you live but traffic is not low where we are. Not quite as bad as pre covid but certainly busy. Busy enough to be causing traffic build ups already.
    As for work! not all work places are accommodating. You would be expecting to be late coming in so you could drop your kids and leave early so you could pick them up.

Walking & cycle where possible, reduce bus use.

Rural students could be approx 10 miles from school

I dont know where you live but traffic is not low where we are. Not quite as bad as pre covid but certainly busy. Busy enough to be causing traffic build ups already.
    As for work! not all work places are accommodating. You would be expecting to be late coming in so you could drop your kids and leave early so you could pick them up.

Well we are in dublin so doubt much outside Dublin has our kind of traffic.

Who looks after the kids when they get home on the bus?

Different area of the yard designated for different classes to wait. All entrance / exits made suitable for use. Where emergency doors are off classrooms, students are kept off the corridor.

Some ideas worth exploring. Potential problems, yard is not an option for the many rainy days ahead. Fire regulations might not allow for external firedoors to be used as entry points. I can only speak for our school no classroom on our school has its own firedoor

Well we are in dublin so doubt much outside Dublin has our kind of traffic.

Who looks after the kids when they get home on the bus?

Well I can say that where I live and in particular the roads leading to schools there are huge traffic problems and thats when buses are running. I can only imagine how bad it would be if every child had to be driven to school. Not to mention where would they be dropped off? Not all schools have car parks or indeed places to pull in and let kids out safely.

Lots of kids get off the school bus and walk to a minder, let themselves in until a parent is home.

Rural students could be approx 10 miles from school

They could jimmy, we'll let those on the bus

Some ideas worth exploring. Potential problems, yard is not an option for the many rainy days ahead. Fire regulations might not allow for external firedoors to be used as entry points. I can only speak for our school no classroom on our school has its own firedoor

What's the alternative?

• Advertisement

They could jimmy, we'll let those on the bus

That's pretty much entire rural schools. Our school in a village, the actual number of students from that village wud be about 40/600.

Even coming from that village or immediate area, they cud be killed as the roads are narrow with no footpath or cycle lanes

Everywhere else is miles away, common enuf for rural schools

What's the alternative?

Looks like we're facing school with masks, no SD and hope for the best. That seems to be the plan

Looks like we're facing school with masks, no SD and hope for the best. That seems to be the plan

You forgot the word No in front of masks!!!

You forgot the word No in front of masks!!!

I'm hoping there's enuf pressure applied to get the masks sorted before we get back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

What's the alternative?

You tell us. You are an expert in everything - in your own mind anyway. Especially in being highly irritating and absolutely determined not to see anyone's legitimate concerns. Concerns of people who actually work in these buildings and know all the problems that may arise. Problems that they are trying to preempt and find workable solutions to. The majority of your suggestions are not workable, at least in the immediate future due to lack of space, funding, builders available to do all the necessary renovations. But sure keep giving your opinion, you know best, no matter what anyone else might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So... I see the Dept. of Education have released their plans and everyone is happy.... :)

...and we have seen a barage of complaints.
    Look, I guess some of it is warranted, but again teachers seem most vocal (surprise, surprise) about all the 'what if' scenario's.

I stand by my first post about this topic, that there is no leadership in education anymore and the Dept. of Eduation, the Unions are all so closed minded, and nuerted by decades of inertia and backwards thinking that they cannot even if they wanted to, 'get on with it'.

It would be like asking an Arts student to design a rocket ship, they cannot because they have no experience or qualification in it. Teachers are the same, they are qualified to teach, that's it. Running something, other than a class? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Could schools open if all staff and kids wore masks?
    How will schools engage social distancing?

I think all staff and all students from 3rd up should be wearing masks, not those visor yokes.

SD isn't possible with full classes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I'm hoping the ECDC report next week will strongly suggest this. I'd also have concerns for compromised kids. If they are in a class where all the kids have masks and the teacher is 2m away and maybe some oerspex shielding they can attend safely. Let them come a few minutes later than everyone and leave a few minutes early. If they are in a class with no masks how could their parents or for us , I'm PP, the kids themselves be happy attending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Lots of waffle but still no list of subjects to be dropped?

I’m starting to notice a pattern from Mr Payrise!!
    There must be some very capable individuals in his workplace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement