Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm only dipping back into this thread so apologies if I am mistaking you here, but by saying the above are you suggesting that the rise in cases had less to do with the non-wearing of masks and more to do with the fact that the teachers were teaching multiple classes (ie: didn't operate in pods)?

If that is what you are saying, (and maybe you get this, but some here don't seem to) THIS is why post primary teachers are on here "moaning" that it won't work for them. We can't operate with a pod system at second level, it is impossible to do that.

I get that masks aren't the magic solution, but, can I get a yes or no answer off you for this: in the absence of social distancing and/or a 'pod' system, are you saying that wearing no masks would be more beneficial than wearing them in a secondary school?

The poster I replied to implied that the surge was caused by the schools abandoning mask wearing and that we would see the same here if kids didn't wear them.

I was pointing out, in the case that they mentioned, it was actually due to teachers infecting students across multiple classes.

I don't think there was any one factor involved but it probably wasn't just due to the fact that masks weren't being worn.

Masks can actually cause more trouble if they aren't used correctly, I think weighing it up their benefits would be questionable in a school setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

s1ippy wrote: »
    Most of the staff at the camp above didn't get infected and they did require them to wear masks.

Be spreading among the children though wouldn't it

Staff would be observing distance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Unwind wrote: »

At this stage, I think they're going to go full steam ahead, everyone back to school full-time in full classrooms, regardless of the risks.

The government can't be seen to backtrack now. It would wound them politically, especially 'Mehole'.

Speed read the first half

Sounds like a load.of.bollox

• Advertisement

What next? I can't believe they feel the need to say this :pac:

Online dating apps saw huge increase in use over past few months. Be that from boredom or loneliness but Tinder saw its highest daily activity since it was launched.

What about FWB, I wonder are they allowed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Utter pillocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The poster I replied to implied that the surge was caused by the schools abandoning mask wearing and that we would see the same here if kids didn't wear them.

I was pointing out, in the case that they mentioned, it was actually due to teachers infecting students across multiple classes.

I don't think there was any one factor involved but it probably wasn't just due to the fact that masks weren't being worn.

Masks can actually cause more trouble if they aren't used correctly, I think weighing it up their benefits would be questionable in a school setting.

You posted opinion pieces, two of which quoted the same source. They were full of words like can and may , a little like your own ramblings.

Came from the HSE too lol

I thought it was something the Healy Raes came up with so they could getn their pubs open instead of kids having sex

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There goes our pensions. Can they not just put on a magic mask and ride away.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    My son has gone back to creche + rules are unbelievable(in a good way, ). He has shoes that cant leave the creche. No bags are allowed + spare change of clothes left all time in creche. Also must wear fresh clothes everyday. He is in a small pod max about 8 kids. They all play together bur have own room + dont mix with any other pods. Each pod has staged drop off + pick up times to limit interaction. Basicially if child gets sick they can close one pod easily + should be no spread to other pods.

Meanwhile in primary 30 kids all together in one room, wearing same uniform for days on end + how the hell do you mange diffetent drop offs for 15-20 classes ?

Meanwhile at 2nd level could have 750-1000 in a school with 10 subject choices mixing multiple times a day/,week. You just can't limit it to pods at secondary due to subject choice. Then what about practical subjects like home economics, woodwork?

An absolute nighmare. I 100% believe the schools must reopen for well being of students but this isn't way to do it. Should be strict regulations like for reopening of creches.

We tried implementing outdoor and indoor shoes in our school last winter to try and keep it cleaner during the day. The amount of flimsy and silly excuses we got were crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

jlm29 wrote: »
    In fairness, this is easily observed. Since face masks became compulsory, or strongly encouraged, or whatever they are now, people are ignoring the hand sanitiser on the way into shops, standing on top of each other, coughing all over each other, and shops are definitely more crowded. I almost went into my local centra on Saturday, but I just looked in the door, it was packed with adults and children alike, just after GAA training finished. Far too many people to be safely in a small shop, but nobody seemed bothered, because the adults had masks on.

More to do with ignorance and stupidity of some, wouldn't blame masks for that.

xhomelezz wrote: »

Masks have given a false sense of security. Nobody is using them correctly. People are back to browsing in shops, giving an hour in Lidl wandering about touching everything after pulling their mask up from their chin before entering the store.
    This was always a danger with mask expressed by NPHET and it's playing out as predicted.
    Wash your hands, keep your distance is still the go to advice not put on mask incorrectly.

Some shops (large chains) aren't restricting numbers as much since masks are now mandatory.

Other things start to slide because people think they're safe once they have their magic mask on.

Masks aren't a silver bullet, and someone wearing them incorrectly can actually be a hazard.

You can see it around you every day. Pandemic response fatigue will be more responsible for any "second wave" than opening schools will.

Masks have given a false sense of security. Nobody is using them correctly. People are back to browsing in shops, giving an hour in Lidl wandering about touching everything after pulling their mask up from their chin before entering the store.
    This was always a danger with mask expressed by NPHET and it's playing out as predicted.
    Wash your hands, keep your distance is still the go to advice not put on mask incorrectly.

Anyone who is not able to follow easy procedure of wearing a mask is hardly following any other measures either. That's my observation, so we are back to ignorance and stupidity.

Anyone who is not able to follow easy procedure of wearing a mask is hardly following any other measures either. That's my observation, so we are back to ignorance and stupidity.

There not simple procedures, I've yet to see someone use them correctly while following the basic advice. You need to stand outside a shop for a few minutes to see what's actually happening.

Yes ignorant and stupid people will always be so, but it's not always the case.

The amount of people (adults) I have to tell many times a day to put on their mask in the first place, or please pull the mask up to cover your nose, please pull the mask down to cover your chin, the wire goes to the nose, press the wire, its on back to front, your ear loop is snapped etc etc they aren't all dumbasses either.

Also I have found that elderly people and children can struggle with masks too.

There not simple procedures, I've yet to see someone use them correctly while following the basic advice. You need to stand outside a shop for a few minutes to see what's actually happening.

I don't know where you live, but this is not happening here at least not on the scale you suggesting. It's more about clowns walking in without masks, skipping hand sanitizing and having a chat at the middle of the shop. Yet again nothing to do with masks, so back again to stupidity and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

What about FWB, I wonder are they allowed :p

The Lone Ranger or Zorro??
    Sorry no masks.

I don't know where you live, but this is not happening here at least not on the scale you suggesting. It's more about clowns walking in without masks, skipping hand sanitizing and having a chat at the middle of the shop. Yet again nothing to do with masks, so back again to stupidity and ignorance.

Seriously go stand outside any shop and observe.

Who's the stupid and ignorant one, the mask wearer who follows no other protocols or the person who doesn't wear a mask but follows all other guidelines.
    You make out people who don't wear a mask are stupid, that's just good old fashioned racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

We tried implementing outdoor and indoor shoes in our school last winter to try and keep it cleaner during the day. The amount of flimsy and silly excuses we got were crazy.

We had outdoor and indoor shoes in our primary school 30 years ago. Completely forgot that. Never hear of it nowadays but if my kids school had brought it in I’d have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think for whatever reason people are getting casual about sanitation. Back at earlier stages, in my local supermarket, same as everywhere i'm sure, there were the spray bottles and paper towels to clean your trolley and the bin for the discarded towels was always well full if not overflowing with people queuing to use those items. But what I've observed the last few times is that the bin for the used towels is very empty and I watched people march straight past them. More people are wearing masks alright but not sure if that's the connection. There needs to be a back to basics message given out loud and clear again from the Government - wash your hands and clean, clean, clean.

Yes ignorant and stupid people will always be so, but it's not always the case.

The amount of people (adults) I have to tell many times a day to put on their mask in the first place, or please pull the mask up to cover your nose, please pull the mask down to cover your chin, the wire goes to the nose, press the wire, its on back to front, your ear loop is snapped etc etc they aren't all dumbasses either.

Also I have found that elderly people and children can struggle with masks too.

Seriously don't know where you live guys, out of all the people with masks I see in the shop, there might be one or two out of 20 doing it arse way. Anyway you must be very busy between all the posting here and educating all those people how to wear mask correctly. All these covid threads are full of made up stories. The other guy sounds like he doesn't do anything else apart from standing outside the shop and observing everyone with mask not able to do it correctly. Seriously :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The agenda is clear from a couple of posters.

Blame masks.

People have gotten far too relaxed and we're headed for further restrictions.

A mile-long tailback into Dingle yesterday with tourist cars.

Popular tourist spots packed because people haven't imagination to pick a different spot where there wud be more space.

In any shop I've been in, you'd be lucky if half are wearing a mask. Funnily tho, vast majority are wearing them in Tesco. Probably because the precautions there are so visible and properly run with a man on the door insisting on hand sanitiser.

If there were on-the-spot fines on masks from Gardaí, people wud wear them.

It's a shame but we're only heading for further restrictions and schools closing soon after they open.

The guidelines in society or at school can't be open to interpretation.

No 'recommended' practices. Clear instructions with enforceable penalties are all people understand when it comes to most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The agenda is clear from a couple of posters.

Blame masks.

People have gotten far too relaxed and we're headed for further restrictions.

A mile-long tailback into Dingle yesterday with tourist cars.

Popular tourist spots packed because people haven't imagination to pick a different spot where there wud be more space.

In any shop I've been in, you'd be lucky if half are wearing a mask. Funnily tho, vast majority are wearing them in Tesco. Probably because the precautions there are so visible and properly run with a man on the door insisting on hand sanitiser.

If there were on-the-spot fines on masks from Gardaí, people wud wear them.

It's a shame but we're only heading for further restrictions and schools closing soon after they open.

The guidelines in society or at school can't be open to interpretation.

No 'recommended' practices. Clear instructions with enforceable penalties are all people understand when it comes to most things.

There is no requirement to wear masks in supermarkets, it's a guideline so gardai cant fine some one.

The other guy sounds like he doesn't do anything else apart from standing outside the shop and observing everyone with mask not able to do it correctly. Seriously :D

Kinda comes with the territory when your a retailer. I've observed the general public a lot more than most during all this. They are not behaving like you claim and my friends in the trade are having the same experience.
    Everything is gone out the window since masks, those wanting mandatory masks in schools are steering the Titanic right into an iceberg.
    NPHET have said masks will not be mandatory in schools. They are not risk free.

Seriously go stand outside any shop and observe.

Who's the stupid and ignorant one, the mask wearer who follows no other protocols or the person who doesn't wear a mask but follows all other guidelines.
    You make out people who don't wear a mask are stupid, that's just good old fashioned racism.

Well, that's not what I said. But carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

There is no requirement to wear masks in supermarkets, it's a guideline so gardai cant fine some one.

That's why I said a fine would make people wear them

But then you have the 'I know my rights bro' people who think all rules infringe on their civil liberties. For the likes of schools we need to be able to enforce mandatory use of hand sanitiser, under the current guidelines we need to be able to enforce mandatory use of masks where they are deemed necessary by the school. The above should have no ifs, buts or maybes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What do you regard as proper wearing?

I spent 4 hours in LV on Saturday and saw sd queuing and proper mask wearing even among children under the age of 10, for the most part. The few offenders were mainly men who took the amish approach protecting their chin, the I need to talk and take it off and look ma I dont breathe through my nose so it's ok to expose it. They were in the minority. The kids I foiund interesting as there was one family in the same place as me for an hour and their kids 3 of them never took the masks off, an donly one touched the mask briefly, they played, chatted and walked along. They were I would guess 5. 7 or 8 and 9/10, it was pretty impressive.

No one will get it perfect like no one washes their hands properly unless they are shown. How many people knew the Ayliffe technique before Covid19. It was always my way of spotting medical people in public bathrooms as it is second nature to do.

We should not be advocating the not wearing of masks, the more practice the better people get. The better we promote it, the more people realise the above methods are not correct.

WIth kids practice at home make it a game. Millions of children around the world wear them no bother because they are used to it. If kids can do then adults can. It is not rocket science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement