Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Again you are just showing you haven't a clue. This is for the new Junior Cycle reform and it is to account for the time spent in SLARS and subject meetings etc. There is more to it than that but you can look it up if your that interested.

It is sweet f all to do with if you are teaching a class sitting a state exam.

How many class contact hours a week do you have?

No need for the patronising teacher attitude.....

If the first point you make is insurance and renting, that would seem a very easy thing to overcome. If there is a will there is a way, hotels have meeting rooms etc which aren't being used at the moment? Its easy to point to problems if you want to.

Maybe the remote option is provided by some teachers who are afraid to go back to the classroom? A proper online portal - fully agree, but not the hour or two which many provided from Feb this year....

I believe some are looking in to hiring the convention centre. It'll be interesting to see if the secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Made up by the tui? Lol

Lol yourself.

I have 22 hours and I teach 6th years i.e an exam class.

Calling me a liar , eh , eh?

Have a break. You need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I believe some are looking in to hiring the convention centre. It'll be interesting to see if the secure.

It is already being hired out by our wonderful TDs

khalessi wrote: »
    It is already being hired out by our wonderful TDs

They were probably willing to pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

They'll have to kick the aul TDs out!!

I wonder where any school would find the 25K daily hire fee!!!

• Advertisement

They were probably willing to pay for it

€50,000 a day

Blondini wrote: »
    Lol yourself.

I have 22 hours and I teach 6th years i.e an exam class.

Calling me a liar , eh , eh?

Have a break. You need it.

22 hours contact time, that's a lot less than the pre school workers or any public facing role

€50,000 a day

I doubt it, the local community centre was considered a luxury by the bom

I doubt it, the local community centre was considered a luxury by the bom

That is what the TDs are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Any news when the universities might open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

22 hours contact time, that's a lot less than the pre school workers or any public facing role

I don't think preschool would be a lot more than that...

Also you're forgetting about S&S, which will likely be increased next year due to all the absences. When schools closed in March I was only 2 hours off the limit for the year and that's not including the non-S&S favours I did for covering classes when our deputy couldn't find a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Oranage2 wrote: »

DCU and UCD are fully online until Christmas or so I read a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Oranage2 wrote: »

My brother going in to 1st year in UL and they're looking at going back 1 week on campus, 3 weeks at home.

Can't 100% remember when he said what date they'd be back, but late September iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

DCU and UCD are fully online until Christmas or so I read a while back.

No universities have said that they are to be fully online..

I know right! A lot less.

And better holidays.

Blondini wrote: »
    I know right! A lot less.

And better holidays.

46% less that a standard 39 hour week for most public facing roles.

So do you believe that face to face contact time is all teaching is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Greensoup wrote: »
    I have 2 leaving cert classes and 2 3rd year classes as part of my timetable....I have 32 forty minute class periods per week which is 21.3 teaching hours. The Assisstant Principal 1 are people like year heads...some of their 22 hours is set aside for year head admin such as absent notes etc so they have a few hours less class teaching for this.

I assume you meant to quote Alrigghtythen and not me here

Ap1s now generally have two whole school roles or one very big one. Year head is no longer acceptable by itself.

Where did I say that? That's an odd conclusion for you to jump to.

Is the concern not the amount of time the teacher will be in the poorly ventilated room with the students? I'm just quantifying the time teachers are in the poorly ventilated room with the students.

I taught about 24 contact hours last year along with being an AP1 so I was Year Head to 2 years, in charge of Assessment across the school and ICT. I also coach 2 teams in the school. I had 2 leaving cert classes. The correcting for them alone would have been around 10 hours per week. This would be more for an English teacher in fairness so I won't complain too much. Roughly for every hour you teach you can assume 1 hour of prep and correcting, more at the start of your career where you wouldn't have that much experience and things would take longer. And of course I am a practical subject teachers so also equipment and chemicals need preparing.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the fur-lined whiteboard erasers, valet parking and the Cuban cigars at lunchtime...

Where did I say that? That's an odd conclusion for you to jump to.

Is the concern not the amount of time the teacher will be in the poorly ventilated room with the students? I'm just quantifying the time teachers are in the poorly ventilated room with the students.

I am just asking a question and looking for a yes or no answer. Simple

I taught about 24 contact hours last year along with being an AP1 so I was Year Head to 2 years, in charge of Assessment across the school and ICT. I also coach 2 teams in the school. I had 2 leaving cert classes. The correcting for them alone would have been around 10 hours per week. This would be more for an English teacher in fairness so I won't complain too much. Roughly for every hour you teach you can assume 1 hour of prep and correcting, more at the start of your career where you wouldn't have that much experience and things would take longer. And of course I am a practical subject teachers so also equipment and chemicals need preparing.

So what do you do? Can I have a breakdown of exactly how you spend your hours every day?

I worked in private industry and in a university. I work longer hours now

I am just asking a question and looking for a yes or no answer. Simple

It's an odd question but I'll humour you

No

It's an odd question but I'll humour you

No

THank you as I was confused from your posts and wanted to clarify.

So what do you do? Can I have a breakdown of exactly how you spend your hours every day?

I worked in private industry and in a university. I work longer hours now

Your prep and correction time are not student contact time unless you are doing your prep in the class while the students are there. If so you'll need to make alternative arrangements for extra year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Made up by the tui? Lol

Class contact time in Ireland is one of the highest in Europe. Also class contact time isn't the only work done. Lessons don't prepare themselves and classwork doesn't correct itself

Class contact time in Ireland is one of the highest in Europe. Also class contact time isn't the only work done. Lessons don't prepare themselves and classwork doesn't correct itself

Can you not do your prep and correction in another location other than in the class with all the students present? Theres a virsus going around.

Can you not do your prep and correction in another location other than in the class with all the students present? Theres a virsus going around.

What other location, all the rooms are being used remember? sure you are telling us to rent out the local church or whatever. I cannot leave the site as I am a Year Head. Our current prep room might fit 4 people with SD at a stretch. Hopefully the practical rooms won't need to be timetabled all classes but I'm not really sure what staff will do in between classes for planning. I imagine it will vary massively depending on schools

• Advertisement

What other location, all the rooms are being used remember? sure you are telling us to rent out the local church or whatever.

You ask what other locations and then you say I've been telling you other locations. Read the other locations I already gave then?

* I never said the local church, but hey if its a viable option. It might have side rooms or be useful for music or choir practice. I did say community centres and a few other places

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement