Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

what would happen in schools in June?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would love to see the kids go back in June or indeed July . Maybe one day for a few and the next for another few .
    They all need to see that life will be ok and that adults are trying hard to get us all back . The little ones could have lunch at their desk , no play time and go home early
    Maybe 5-8 kids in each classroom for the beginning . A half an hour could be given for lessons on hygiene and safety etc

Supermarkets , chemists , hospitals , GPs , clinics etc etc have all adapted and now so must we all adapt to get our children back to some tiny feeling of normality .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I would love to see the kids go back in June or indeed July . Maybe one day for a few and the next for another few .
    They all need to see that life will be ok and that adults are trying hard to get us all back . The little ones could have lunch at their desk , no play time and go home early
    Maybe 5-8 kids in each classroom for the beginning . A half an hour could be given for lessons on hygiene and safety etc

Supermarkets , chemists , hospitals , GPs , clinics etc etc have all adapted and now so must we all adapt to get our children back to some tiny feeling of normality .

What makes you think it’s safe to do even that? Do you have access to information that the team advising the government doesn’t?
    In shops, chemists, gps etc they have minimal contact with people. I pay my chemist over the phone, stand back from the door and they drop the bag of medicine out the door to me. In my gps, I wait in the car, they call me when I can go in, hand me gloves and mask and spend minimal amounts of time in the appointment. They wipe down everything in between patients also. Not the same thing as being in close contact with a group of kids, however small, for up to 4.5 hours for primary school kids. To be honest I’d say these are the measures we’d need in September, assuming the roadmap goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I am glad that the Kids are not going back until September.

More time all round to prepare properly and more time to see how we as a Country fare when restrictions start to ease. More time to do more research on this disease and how it behaves and spreads.

I do agree that they need to move towards a new normal but I don't think that schools need to be in the first phases of the reopening. Leaving Certs should be provided for separately. Most Leaving Certs are adults.

kandr10 wrote: »
    What makes you think it’s safe to do even that? Do you have access to information that the team advising the government doesn’t?

It was my wish and opinion , no need to be rude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Hi there,

My eldest is in 6th class also. Since the return after Easter break we have been receiving an email first thing Monday morning outlining the work for the week and then each day a daily plan with extra bits if they want to do them.
    We can submit the work to the teacher and they can give feedback.

We’ve had one Zoom assembly last Friday at which parents were asked to be present. Halfway through the principal had to remind some of the kids that everyone could see what they were typing in the chat box and she would have to remove them from the call if they continued!

When you say you’re trying to fill your daughter’s week, despite the 4-5 days worth of work in the weekly email, it sounds like you feel they’re not being given enough to do. Is your daughter doing bits each day or all in one go? Either way, if you feel the school aren’t doing enough, contact them directly.

For the three weeks up to Easter holidays my daughter’s school weren’t in communication every day, they sent weekly emails along the lines of “next page in workbook”, spellings, tables etc.

Given that they weren’t given any notice to close or prep for long-term online learning I feel it’s ok for schools not to have had a Perfect system in place from day 1 but by now, all things considered (access to technology etc) they probably should have a better grasp of what system to use and work with. Hope this helps and I hope your daughter is ok and not too upset at missing all the usual end of 6th class events.

My 6th class child gets one email a week with tasks for the week + a daily task. Homework takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs a day. (mainly cos he dawdles) Motivation has gone out the window this week though now they know they wont be going back at all :( Parents doing the correcting & 'teaching' of anything new that comes up we just submit a log end of the week. . There's a young teacher in the school, no kids of their own to manage, & am very surprised they have not made any effort to try a zoom even one a week per class would really boost morale. I am going to tentatively suggest it when I submit the logs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

DSN wrote: »
    My 6th class child gets one email a week with tasks for the week + a daily task. Homework takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs a day. (mainly cos he dawdles) Motivation has gone out the window this week though now they know they wont be going back at all :( Parents doing the correcting & 'teaching' of anything new that comes up we just submit a log end of the week. . There's a young teacher in the school, no kids of their own to manage, & am very surprised they have not made any effort to try a zoom even one a week per class would really boost morale. I am going to tentatively suggest it when I submit the logs this week.

No harm in suggesting it to the school. Motivation has gone even further out the window here too so I can empathise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AustinOC

I agree - on the strict condition that the virus was heading towards zero in specific areas or counties, the above proposals or similar should be considered on a cost v benefit basis before June. Kids / teachers could attend on a voluntary basis. Outdoor classes etc, anything at all to close the psychological gap in the kids' minds. The blanket closure to September regardless of what the virus does seems premature. Other European countries are prioritising their educations systems, the debate here is all about re-opening the pubs while people throng the off-licences and chippers. And in the likely event that the pandemic rages through the southern hemisphere through the next few months, our schools will be closed again most likely from October on. Did NPHET consider that? June should be the best month in terms of weather (outdoor classes, open windows in classes etc) and in terms of immunity (Vitamin D). As with all these matters, it would have been very helpful to know what scenarios / risks / benefits NPHET considered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

If the Department of Education don't think they can even run a variant of the Leaving Certificate in August with 1/6 of secondary school pupils in large halls and generous spacing, I've got some bad news for those of you hoping that primary schools will open in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

If the Department of Education don't think they can even run a variant of the Leaving Certificate in August with 1/6 of a school in large halls with generous spacing, I've got some bad news for those of you hoping that primary schools will open in June.

I was about to comment similar. Very hard to see how the leaving cert is being called in to question at a time when they (according to the roadmap) are expecting hairdressers/creches etc to start reopening. I would have thought that socially distancing students would be easier to manage.

• Advertisement

I was about to comment similar. Very hard to see how the leaving cert is being called in to question at a time when they (according to the roadmap) are expecting hairdressers/creches etc to start reopening. I would have thought that socially distancing students would be easier to manage.
    I agree . Surely they could spread the students in classes around the school ? They could use SNAs to supervise .
    I don’t see the huge obstacle to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

The Leaving Cert can be run if they use all schools, including primary. Maybe hire some church halls or sports teams clubhouses.

Throw bodies at it, use as many teachers/civil servants as needed.

If there are only 10-20 students in each location then social distancing should be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I'd say there's a lot of LC students would be raging if they have to put their lives on hold for a year. Let them take their exams and get on with it. If some of them aren't happy to do so, then leave them behind until next year, but don't hold everyone else back.

The whole idea of teachers inventing grades to give to students is ridiculous also. What if a teacher has a particular dislike for a student and gives them a worse grade than they would otherwise obtain? We all know that there are a minority of petty ****ers out there who would do that.

I agree . Surely they could spread the students in classes around the school ? They could use SNAs to supervise .
    I don’t see the huge obstacle to be honest

Now don't get me wrong I completely understand that they need a viable plan b in place in case things worsen, but surely calling off an exam (that is over two months away) with our current outlook being cautiously optimistic, would be madness?! Just from the point of view of the knock on effect it will have on students and education in general.

I still think all projects/practicals should be awarded 100% to further level the playing field (I didn't agree with decison initially but now think it should be all or nothing)

Positives from the current situation for students (the negatives are well documented):
    1. Extra study time
    2. Most students have a passing grade achieved in at least one subject
    3. A chance to see if you are adept at independent study as you will need to be at third level rather than finding out you hate this way of working six months (and fees paid) later
    4. One to one contact with teachers via email/messaging etc that you may not have had in school

Again, not denying the negatives but I do feel strongly that in the long term proceeding with the exams if possible is best all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Should teachers be expected to go back to work with the virus still very much active in the community?

I remember being at school, as do all of you. Lots of teachers would've been in the 'at risk' cohort. And how would you ensure physical distancing, realistically? When I meet people or family we all stay the 2 metres and are never inside the same room. I do the shopping once a week and in and out quick as I can.

How does that work in a school? Even going to the locker, toilet, eating lunch, break times, not to mention actual classroom time. My local shops and supermarkets are letting people in a few at a time. Even outdoor stalls have distancing. I just don't see how it can be done.

Of course it could be that they hope it won't have to be that way but then I think people haven't fully, really grasped the extent to which this virus has changed things for the foreseeable.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see people gathering indoors for quite some time yet without large spikes in cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

surely calling off an exam (that is over two months away) with our current outlook being cautiously optimistic, would be madness?!

That decision will have to be made this month.

Is the outlook 'optimistic'? Assuming the virus doesn't simply vanish, how do we safely go back to large or even small gatherings of people? It's still as contagious as ever, still as unpredictably lethal, still 'around'.

Do we accept this as another hazard and simply get on with things as best we can, stamping on outbreaks, quarantining zones, regions, towns?

I presume they're working on a 'slow burn' through the population and that will take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

AustinOC wrote: »
    I agree - on the strict condition that the virus was heading towards zero in specific areas or counties, the above proposals or similar should be considered on a cost v benefit basis before June. Kids / teachers could attend on a voluntary basis. Outdoor classes etc, anything at all to close the psychological gap in the kids' minds. The blanket closure to September regardless of what the virus does seems premature. Other European countries are prioritising their educations systems, the debate here is all about re-opening the pubs while people throng the off-licences and chippers. And in the likely event that the pandemic rages through the southern hemisphere through the next few months, our schools will be closed again most likely from October on. Did NPHET consider that? June should be the best month in terms of weather (outdoor classes, open windows in classes etc) and in terms of immunity (Vitamin D). As with all these matters, it would have been very helpful to know what scenarios / risks / benefits NPHET considered here.

Im sure it possibly crossed NPHETS mind since it crossed yours. I am also pretty sure that they are aware of the recent study by Chinese researchers and John Hopkins University showing that children are as likely as adult to catch Covid19 and they probably are also aware of the Kawasaki syndrome like illness that is becoing more prevelent in children. They might even alsow be aware of the second wave that is hitting other countries.

They didnt close the schools on a whim, it is quite possible if they didnt close the schools that we could all be here talking about people we have lost Opening the schools takes planning, if they didnt plan you would be giving out. They are planning ye are still giving out.

I would rather the schools reopened in a safe manner for all the children so they can remember this as a hiccup. Ireland has been lucky in that we have never had a war on our doorstep. We were slightly inconvienved by The Emergency. Bosnian children missed out on 4 years of education due to war and they still got to college. People get inconvienced all the time adn this time its by a Pandemic. We will get through it just have to do it together.

That decision will have to be made this month.

Is the outlook 'optimistic'? Assuming the virus doesn't simply vanish, how do we safely go back to large or even small gatherings of people? It's still as contagious as ever, still as unpredictably lethal, still 'around'.

Do we accept this as another hazard and simply get on with things as best we can, stamping on outbreaks, quarantining zones, regions, towns?

I presume they're working on a 'slow burn' through the population and that will take some time.

Well I suppose what I mean by optimistic is the fact that we are planning towards opening back up as per the road map outlined. I do understand we could have to go backwards if things worsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Schools in Germany are open on 18 May. But Ireland, ah we are different to normal countries.

The teachers want their paid two months off. We should give them June and July. August ... we split classes ... 2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon.
    Can we give our children some normality.
    Unions and Department of Education both oppose this. What is the best thing for parents and society ?

• Advertisement

Scoondal wrote: »
    The teachers want their paid two months off. We should give them June and July. August ... we split classes ... 2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon.
    Can we give our children some normality.
    Unions and Department of Education both oppose this. What is the best thing for parents and society ?

So teachers aren't parents or part of society? There are fears over the safety of sixth years attending exams in August (approx 1/6 of the post-primary population) but the only reason schools can't open is because teachers want time off. Ya.

So teachers aren't parents or part of society? There are fears over the safety of sixth years attending exams in August (approx 1/6 of the post-primary population) but the only reason schools can't open is because teachers want time off. Ya.

Sorry, I was just talking about the primary schools. You should highlighgt these concerns to Dept of "so called" Education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Schools in Germany are open on 18 May. But Ireland, ah we are different to normal countries.

We will see how long for, maybe they have gone too early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

AustinOC wrote: »

I wasn’t aware opening windows was part of the advice on stopping the spread of the virus. If only it were that simple.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Benimar wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert can be run if they use all schools, including primary. Maybe hire some church halls or sports teams clubhouses.

Throw bodies at it, use as many teachers/civil servants as needed.

If there are only 10-20 students in each location then social distancing should be manageable.

So spread'em out... good. And what if they cant get to those other nominated locations?

I pay teachers' salaries. Teachers are still on full salaries doing an hour of poor online "work".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I pay teachers' salaries. Teachers are still on full salaries doing an hour of poor online "work".

If that were simply the case, teachers also play teachers salaries.

khalessi wrote: »
    We will see how long for, maybe they have gone too early
    18 May in Germany ... Ireland September ... ??

kandr10 wrote: »
    I wasn’t aware opening windows was part of the advice on stopping the spread of the virus. If only it were that simple.

Certainly from day one the advice was if you were sick with Covid you should isolate in a well ventilated room
    The spread is more likely in poorly ventilated crowded room
    Open windows are not going to get rid of Covid but it is part of the overall strategy to try to beat it
    I heard one virologist say that we should be opening all windows every day to allow free flow of fresh air

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total utter rubbish nonsense post.:rolleyes:

I bet most of them don't even bother with an hour of any kind of online work.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement