Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway cleaning

Options
  • 12-04-2020 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get my driveway clean. First I washed it and scrubbed it down with soapy water and a hard bristle brush. I then used my power washer to wash it down. My power washer isn't that powerful but took the heavy stuff off the surface.

Then I let it dry off and I wasn't happy with the result. So I diluted some bleach in water and poured it over the driveway and let it lie for an hour. Then I power washed that off.

Im still not happy with the result, there's still a lot of black lichen spots on some of the brick, like the photo below. Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do to remove it?

The brickwork is about 20 years old and has probably never been washed, is it to late to restore it?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Kfr3nUDD2TC6Wocz6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

You need a stronger power washer. Them bricks should come up very well if you have a good enough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

Heiser wrote: »
    I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get my driveway clean. First I washed it and scrubbed it down with soapy water and a hard bristle brush. I then used my power washer to wash it down. My power washer isn't that powerful but took the heavy stuff off the surface.

Then I let it dry off and I wasn't happy with the result. So I diluted some bleach in water and poured it over the driveway and let it lie for an hour. Then I power washed that off.

Im still not happy with the result, there's still a lot of black lichen spots on some of the brick, like the photo below. Can anyone offer any advice on what I can do to remove it?

The brickwork is about 20 years old and has probably never been washed, is it to late to restore it?

Get some Chlorus (Sodium Hypochlorite) from your local Farm supplies.
    It is normally 15% - handle and use safely, with adequate PPE.
    I would dilute 5 parts water to 1 part chlorus.
    Wet driveway with hose, apply the solution, wait up to an hour and wash off.

It will be back to new.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Deck scrubber- daz- damp it,work up n down,over and b back,39 / 40 m work , hose off and repeat any missed bits,I'd an oil spillage the other day ( shagging extractor vac pump fell) 25 m later,that 2 metres was like new concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

And when you get it clean, spray it with Patio Magic, (or Lidl's version), to keep it clear of any green algae.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Op i highly recommend a product called wet and forget.

i parked the power washer some years ago now when it comes to paths/drives. apply it with a knapsack sprayer with appropriate ppe.

clarkes of cavan .ie sell it if you have difficulty finding a supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Heiser

Thanks for all the replies. I went at it again yesterday and got all the algae up except for the black lichen spots. So all the green algae etc is gone.

Do the cleaning agents listed above clear black lichen?

Will need to wait now until everything reopens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Thanks for all the replies. I went at it again yesterday and got all the algae up except for the black lichen spots. So all the green algae etc is gone.

Do the cleaning agents listed above clear black lichen?

Will need to wait now until everything reopens

Lidl washing powder will get rid of them or Chlorus just wet it first better done in dampish weather or on a misty day..

Advertisement