Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Priming Before Painting

• 12-04-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm going to be painting a spare room in my dad's place in the next few weeks. The existing paint job is a very dark colour, which will be changed to a much lighter colour (still to be decided upon). There is also an area of mould under the window which needs to be treated (I have some HG mould killer which I've found very good in the past), and there are several dents, scratches, and cracks on both the walls and ceiling that I'll be repairing. There are also a few water stains on the ceiling.

So, given all that, is treating the repaired and freshly treated areas with primer enough, or will I get better results covering all walls and the ceiling given the drastic colour change? I'll likely be using Zinsser BIN Primer, or something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm going to be painting a spare room in my dad's place in the next few weeks. The existing paint job is a very dark colour, which will be changed to a much lighter colour (still to be decided upon). There is also an area of mould under the window which needs to be treated (I have some HG mould killer which I've found very good in the past), and there are several dents, scratches, and cracks on both the walls and ceiling that I'll be repairing. There are also a few water stains on the ceiling.

So, given all that, is treating the repaired and freshly treated areas with primer enough, or will I get better results covering all walls and the ceiling given the drastic colour change? I'll likely be using Zinsser BIN Primer, or something similar.

Spray the mould 1st, wash off and then give a coat of red bin primer.
    Give water marks in ceiling 2 coats of red bin primer.
    Fill all dents, cracks etc, sand when dry.
    Then give everything a coat of white emulsion.
    And carry on with whatever colours you choose to finish the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Wot he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thanks a mill. So no need to prime the repair patches in the plasterwork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. So no need to prime the repair patches in the plasterwork?

Well you will be giving the walls a coat of white emulsion after filling so that will act as your primer after you fill.
    After scraping dents and cracks etc, if there is a large patch of bare plaster, would be no harm to give a quick coat before filling, otherwise there is no need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Great stuff, thanks again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement