Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Reductions during Covid19

Options
  • 12-04-2020 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has been successful during this pandemic reducing the price of asking prices of houses or off the agreed price on the sale of a house? Havent heard many so thought I would add a post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Just wondering if anyone has been successful during this pandemic reducing the price of asking prices of houses or off the agreed price on the sale of a house? Havent heard many so thought I would add a post

Queue the tall stories about how the market has already crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Hubertj wrote: »

Hahah this is why I asked. Hopefully get some true stories back!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

?

Would you not except that stoires could be exaggerated either way?

Poor OP just asked a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

I asked on the other thread for those who claimed to be hounded by EA with properties that have been heavily discounted to post links but heard nothing...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭hometruths

Whether or not the tales of vendors agreeing to 15% drops to close a sale do you believe that purchasers are asking for a discount in order to complete?

• Advertisement

schmittel wrote: »
    Whether or not the tales of vendors agreeing to 15% drops to close a sale do you believe that purchasers are asking for a discount in order to complete?

Most definitly purchasers are asking. Why wouldnt they? Just wondering are people successful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I have no doubt people are. I would ask if I was buying. My point is that on a thread the other day there was a couple of lads saying estate agents were calling and offering them HUGE discounts. Others were saying how their wife’s mates sisters friends brothers aunt got a bargain.

Like you guys am skeptical if the tales are true but I do believe the fact that everybody agrees people who are sale agreed are asking for discounts to close speaks volumes about the likely direction of the market.

I.e if buyers who are sale agreed think the property might be worth less now it would follow that those who are bidding over the next 6 months are likely to make lower bids than those who were bidding over the last six months.

This will inevitably drive prices downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I.e if buyers who are sale agreed think the property might be worth less now it would follow that those who are bidding over the next 6 months are likely to make lower bids than those who were bidding over the last six months.

This will inevitably drive prices downwards.

I haven’t heard of explicit examples of people securing reductions (though I have no doubt they are been given) but I know of people who have either pulled bids or have decided not to bid in the current climate. That in itself will lead to downward pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Hi OP

We have successfully negotiated ~20k off the price of a house. The house was ~390k mark.

It was a drawn out process over 3 weeks.

We had bid on the house before all this lockdown, when it hit we pulled our bid. The EA followed up with us after presumably other bidders pulled out.

We put in a revised bit and stuck to it.

I think the only reason we got it is we were prepared to walk away from the deal.

Sale agreed now, but thinking of pulling out to be honest. A family member who is far more experienced than us and makes a living in property has advised us to withdraw and sit tight fit a few months.

• Advertisement

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Hi OP

We have successfully negotiated ~20k off the price of a house. The house was ~390k mark.

It was a drawn out process over 3 weeks.

We had bid on the house before all this lockdown, when it hit we pulled our bid. The EA followed up with us after presumably other bidders pulled out.

We put in a revised bit and stuck to it.

I think the only reason we got it is we were prepared to walk away from the deal.

Sale agreed now, but thinking of pulling out to be honest. A family member who is far more experienced than us and makes a living in property has advised us to withdraw and sit tight fit a few months.

If they came back with a further haircut of the same order would you go through or are you thinking of looking for maybe a better house for the same original amount. Someone I know who pulled a bid is deciding on the latter (they are in secure employment etc).

Ozark707 wrote: »
    If they came back with a further haircut of the same order would you go through or are you thinking of looking for maybe a better house for the same original amount. Someone I know who pulled a bid is deciding on the latter (they are in secure employment etc).

To be honest, our head has been wrecked about buying. We have gone back and forward on it all weekends pros and cons etc.

In the end, we've deferred to a family member who has steered us right through the whole process of buying (areas, what to look for, what to avoid). So I think we are just going to likely take their advice and pull out.

I don't think the seller would reduce any more to be honest.

We're likely just to wait it out another few months and see what it's like when the dust settles. Secure employment etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The biggest savings might be in picking up a new house, that’s soon to be finished where the builder has to get the show on the Road post lockdown. Their asking price might be subject to a low bid.

To be honest, our head has been wrecked about buying. We have gone back and forward on it all weekends pros and cons etc.

In the end, we've deferred to a family member who has steered us right through the whole process of buying (areas, what to look for, what to avoid). So I think we are just going to likely take their advice and pull out.

We're likely just to wait it out another few months and see what it's like when the dust settles. Secure employment etc....

Seems a sensible approach, I would agree that the downside risks outweigh any potential uptick in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I had a bit of a chuckle at the thread title imagining businesses having 'Covid 19 SALE on now - Limited Time Only'.

I don't think I'd risk it at the moment. The market hasn't reacted yet because it's effectively on lockdown as well. The small amount you might save now isn't worth what you might save in six months or a year from now. Definitely a time to sit tight.

Seems a sensible approach, I would agree that the downside risks outweigh and potential uptick in prices.

This is our thinking.

Weve a good few friends all looking to buy too and they've all pulled out of the game. Some have unfortunately lost their jobs so they are likely out for months, but it's certainly a striking change in sentiment.

Weve a good few friends all looking to buy too and they've all pulled out of the game. Some have unfortunately lost their jobs so they are likely out for months, but it's certainly a striking change in sentiment.

I have a friend who was gung-ho on trading up pre Covid. He has similarly decided to wait it out (though in large part I think the penny has dropped that he will have to cut the price of his current place quite a bit in order to get a sale).

I have a friend who was gung-ho on trading up pre Covid. He has similarly decided to wait it out (though in large part I think the penny has dropped that he will have to cut the price of his current place quite a bit in order to get a sale).

Surely in this scenario the only figure that matters is difference between his sales price and purchase price?

If he is trading up he might find that his purchase price drops more than his sale price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I had thought the PRAI offices are closed, effectively halting any property transactions?

Surely in this scenario the only figure that matters is difference between his sales price and purchase price?

If he is trading up he might find that his purchase price drops more than his sale price.

Preaching to the converted here but for some reason he thinks that after sitting on the market for 6 months that miraculously a buyer will materialise. Anyway he can see his target market coming under pressure so is happy to wait it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Re trading up - If you can sell for a decent price now then do so quickly but you'd be crazy to buy a house at the start of one of the greatest recessions in modern times. The fallout from this will put massive strain on the whole financial system nevermind the Irish economy.

Where was the property??

Re trading up - If you can sell for a decent price now then do so quickly but you'd be crazy to buy a house at the start of one of the greatest recessions in modern times. The fallout from this will put massive strain on the whole financial system nevermind the Irish economy.

I love the way everybody has turned into an economist of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Every sale is different. If you have a seller under pressure to sell, a family selling as part of an executors deal and divvy out the proceeds etc then they will be open to a deal.
    You will then have others who have their minds made up on what price they want and they wont reduce or someone who wants a property in a definite area and are prepared to pay the asking price. Supply and Demand sorts it all.

Edgware wrote: »
    Every sale is different. If you have a seller under pressure to sell, a family selling as part of an executors deal and divvy out the proceeds etc then they will be open to a deal.
    You will then have others who have their minds made up on what price they want and they wont reduce or someone who wants a property in a definite area and are prepared to pay the asking price. Supply and Demand sorts it all.

Agreed, in our case I think the seller wants to get out. There was absolutely no chance of a discount before we went fully into lockdown, now they are at least being realistic offering a small reduction.

I don't think we'll see the massive drops mentioned on other threads here, but I do think a 5-10% reduction might be on the cards. I think buyers would be wise to ask for this and similarly sellers would be wise to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The fear seems everything is going to be slow following this pandemic. Mortgages are going to take longer for approval, people will require extensions who are approved etc. I dont see floods of people who are looking to trade up making that move in the short term which may see a reduction in supply for FTB. You might see some reductions in the higher price points as there will be less people trading up. All entirely anecdotal based on my own opinion but generally there will be a reduction of around 10% IMO. If this drags on past the summer, everyone in the economy is in trouble along with house prices.

duffman13 wrote: »
    The fear seems everything is going to be slow following this pandemic. Mortgages are going to take longer for approval, people will require extensions who are approved etc. I dont see floods of people who are looking to trade up making that move in the short term which may see a reduction in supply for FTB. You might see some reductions in the higher price points as there will be less people trading up. All entirely anecdotal based on my own opinion but generally there will be a reduction of around 10% IMO. If this drags on past the summer, everyone in the economy is in trouble along with house prices.

Totally agree, I think up to 10% is both realistic for the buyer and the seller. I don't see massive swings to -20-30% as some on other threads have been touting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I love the way everybody has turned into an economist of late.

No but when actual economists are saying the German economy could loose 10% of GDP
    The British chancellor has told ministers that it could be a 30% loss of GDP this quarter.
    French government saying 6% loss or GDP (seems optimistic).
    The Spanish Greeks and Italian having similar blows and then loosing tourism which for Spain at least is 10%+ GDP.

For Europe things don't look great and Goldman Sachs are saying USA could contract 34% this quarter.

The people saying everything is going to be fine are the ones not listening to experts not those that are warning about hard times ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Totally agree, I think up to 10% is both realistic for the buyer and the seller. I don't see massive swings to -20-30% as some on other threads have been touting.

I would envisage more than 30% reductions. I expect the damage to be worse than 2008. Our largest trading partners will have major recessions too. Just taking one simple factor, tourism - we got 11.2m tourists last year. Will we even get a quarter of that in 2020? Unemployment in that sector alone will be scary.

• Advertisement

No but when actual economists are saying the German economy could loose 10% of GDP
    The British chancellor has told ministers that it could be a 30% loss of GDP this quarter.
    French government saying 6% loss or GDP (seems optimistic).
    The Spanish Greeks and Italian having similar blows and then loosing tourism which for Spain at least is 1
    For Europe things don't look great and Goldman Sachs are saying USA could contract 34% this quarter.

The people saying everything is going to be fine are the ones not listening to experts not those that are warning about hard times ahead.

The British will try and blame as much as possible on this to take away from the harm Brexit is doing to their economy.

There is no doubt that there will be an impact, but that impact is not necessarily going to have a big impact on the housing market in Ireland, a market that is Chronically under supplied and Subject of massive demand. The level by which demand would have to decrease in order for supply to be met is considerable.

Advertisement