Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Irish Lawyer to be charged...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

A pretty dodgy profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's dodgy and there's outright professional misconduct, this sounds a bit more than dodgy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

His client broke one of the golden rules of life; never give anyone your bank card and PIN number. And why did it take him years to realise the deceipt? Silly carry but if the lawyer is guilty as charged he'll probably get a small punishment. Cant see him having a holiday in Mountjoy. Bizarre stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

The bar always defends the bar .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's there a league table....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lots of dodgy lawyers out there, not just exceptional cases.

Shouldn't he be chasing ambulances or defending the valour of a pond rat with over 100 convictions?

No moral scruples.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ticking and Bashing

It's strange to hand over your ATM card and your PIN and not to review the transactions afterwards to double check that the appropriate withdrawal was made.

His client broke one of the golden rules of life; never give anyone your bank card and PIN number. And why did it take him months to realise the deceipt? Silly carry but if the lawyer is guilty as charged he'll probably get a small punishment. Cant see him having a hokiday in Mountjoy. Bizarre stuff.

His small punishment will include loss of earnings that will amount to millions of euro.

If he is convicted, but seeing as he is one of Irelands top lawyers I can't see the Gardai taking a prosecution unless they had a firm belief they would secure a conviction.

How you can make out the victim is at fault is baffling.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

His small punishment will include loss of earnings that will amount to millions of euro.

If he is convicted, but seeing as he is one of Irelands top lawyers I can't see the Gardai taking a prosecution unless they had a firm belief they would secure a conviction.

How you can make out the victim is at fault is baffling.

He's not at fault but shouldn't be handing out his bank card and PIN for anybody. The lawyer, if guilty, is a lowlife scumbag. I have little faith in our judicial system punishing a fat cat like this accordingly.

• Advertisement

He's not at fault but shouldn't be handing out his bank card and PIN for anybody. The lawyer, if guilty, is a lowlife scumbag.

There can be a lot of reasons why someone would have to ask someone else to withdraw money for them and some people would be considered more trustworthy than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

It's strange to hand over your ATM card and your PIN and not to review the transactions afterwards to double check that the appropriate withdrawal was made.

Perhaps he was incarcerated?

There can be a lot of reasons why someone would have to ask someone else to withdraw money for them and some people would be considered more trustworthy than others.

I wouldn't trust a lawyer as far as i could throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"However, as well as withdrawing €200 for the legal matter, the solicitor is also alleged to have taken out an extra €400 which he kept for himself.

I'm shocked, shocked that a member of the legal profession has allegedly ripped off a client ... surly some mistake, confusion or misunderstanding.

The only question that arises is why didn't he stick another €400 onto the bill like the rest of his colleagues..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

If he pleads or is found guilty the law society will move to strike him off, theft or dishonesty on the part of a solicitor is a big no no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Best thing the layer should do is hand back the money and a few thousand on top.

Dragging his reputation through the media and wasting court time etc would be pointless...

Talk about being caught by the bagoullies .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I think he was just billing him in advance!

No doubt the lawyer will have some excuse to throw some doubt no matter how little into the equation. Lets see how it pans out but i have no faith in a big fat cat lawyer losing his career or millions of euro over this. If guilty he should be locked up even but zero chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Walking to ATM
    Withdrawing cash.
    Returning ATM card.

= €400.00

EDIT: €325.00 + 23% VAT per hour or part thereof.

Time is money, baby! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

nthclare wrote: »
    Best thing the layer should do is hand back the money and a few thousand on top.

Dragging his reputation through the media and wasting court time etc would be pointless...

Talk about being caught by the bagoullies .

I doubt we will ever learn this solicitors name.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    The bar always defends the bar .

The bar is pretty low when it comes to the bar defending the bar.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    Walking to ATM
    Withdrawing cash.
    Returning ATM card.

= €400.00

Time is money, baby! :-)

Exactly. The Spanish lad didn't realise that was the lawyers fee for walking across the road and having to withdraw money for him. Those manssions in Foxrock they live in dont come cheap. Someones gotta pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Barring a barring, I'm not sure the bar will do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Surely if someone is found guilty and needs to pay a court fine or fee you simply leave having signed that you will pay and then you go to an ATM or whatever and do so yourself?

Why would you be stopped from doing that? Or was this upstanding solicitor preying on someone who has poor English and got directed by his legal eagle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

McCrack wrote: »
    If he pleads or is found guilty the law society will move to strike him off, theft or dishonesty on the part of a solicitor is a big no no
    Especially when caught

I doubt we will ever learn this solicitors name.

Oh we will, it will be held in an open court like any other case.

He's only a lawyer, why should he be treated differently to a plumber or a bin man?

Not only must justice be done but it must also be seen to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

What's with the clickbait title OP? Are you looking for a job with TheJournal.ie or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Imagine losing your career over €400.
    What a dope.

What's with the clickbait title OP? Are you looking for a job with TheJournal.ie or something?

My apologies Brendan, did I waste some of your time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people just can't be trusted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement