Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defective Samsung tablet stand - screen damaged.

Options
  • 13-04-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello everyone. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 tablet. This tablet comes with a pop out magnetic stand that connects at the back of the tablet allowing you to position the tablet to watch content. Last night I was watching video on the tablet and suddenly it collapsed and the tablet slid of the surface it was resting on. The resulting damage is a cracked screen. The cost of repair is circa €300 for a replacement digitizer/screen.

I bought the tablet second hand from a seller on eBay around 3 weeks ago, it's condition aesthetically was perfect and the tablet functioned 100%. I have been using the tablet to watch video and used the stand in it's intended role ever since. I did some searching on this issue this morning, and there seems to be an issue with some of the stands and this is occurring to other users also resulting in damage.

Where do I stand here, do I have any consumer rights for defective goods? Is the situation complicated because the seller is located in the UK? I don't particularly want to pay for the repair since I did not cause the damage and my view is that the product was defective and it failed. I have no reason to believe the seller knowingly sold me defective goods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope your all keeping safe given what's going on at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

pilatus wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I bought the tablet second hand ...
    Is the situation complicated because the seller is located in the UK?

my view is that the product was defective and it failed.
    I have no reason to believe the seller knowingly sold me defective goods.

Generally, buying second-hand , it is 'caveat emptor'
    You feel the product is defective yet you don't think the seller 'knowingly sold you defective goods. So, it is hard to see who you think you might claim against.
    And, yes, the seller being in the UK is a complication

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Best chance is to contact Samsung direct - thats if its true that there is a manufacturing issue with the stand part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Best chance is to contact Samsung direct - .

no harm in trying that. however op is not the purchaser and the warranty may not transfer and OP is unlikely to have original proof of purchase.

A long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

no harm in trying that. however op is not the purchaser and the warranty may not transfer and OP is unlikely to have original proof of purchase.

A long shot.

If in the EU, warranty travels, however if the op can price the device was only purchasable in the country from a date that was still within warranty period he could have a good chance. Unfortunately the sale of goods act won’t apply do is dependent on Samsung for goodwill/he can prove within warranty and the device has a proven manufacturing defect. Suck up to Samsung and be nice, it’s possible to get more with honey

Advertisement