Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISDN versus VOIP

• 13-04-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

I was surprised to hear of people still getting ISDN lines installed. It seems radio presenters use them for (presumably) the guaranteed quality of service when phoning their programs in to the station. I even read one occasional contributor to radio programs saying she would get one as well. I had one up to about ten years ago when I got it converted to an ordinary ADSL line and have no regrets about that as 128kbit is not exactly blistering data speed. I'm curious why bigger ISPs like Eir are not able to guarantee the same level of service as ancient ISDN within their own network even. It seems incredible in this day and age to be installing new copper phone lines in order to get a guaranteed 128kbit service. At least I'm assuming they are using Basic Rate ISDN. It could be Primary rate, which is over 1 Mbit, but they would have been very expensive back in the day.

Anyone know more about this kind of usage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It makes sense, its stupid that it does, but it makes sense.

Such a call could be Eir, telia, AWS, cogent, Vodafone or something along those lines. Even if Eir could QoS the traffic down to near zero jitter as soon as it left their border its mixed in with all other traffic. Phones on the other hand are systematically managed by each telco so their priority is maintained end to end.

Advertisement