Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

What third year is gonna engage? No exam til Sept. Schools out for summer for third yrs!

:)
    Realistically, schools out for them all, bar LCerts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just out of curiosity, summer tests are proposed for all year groups bar LCs including third years for us. Is this the same for other schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Just out of curiosity, summer tests are proposed for all year groups bar LCs including third years for us. Is this the same for other schools?
    I knew this was coming. Pointless exercise as they will have the books open in front of them! Is this just in case we are not working hard enough at the moment online?? Give me patience. Principals clearly have too much time on their hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Pursefan wrote: »

Principals clearly have too much time on their hands!

I actually believe this will emerge as a bigger issue as time goes by. They are struggling for a relevance at the moment. Realistically they should be spending all their time working out how school will operate under social distancing next year. Instead I am waiting with bated breath for the Zoom Croke Park hours during May.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

So let me get this crooked-they are saying we will come back one day a week plus July. No way hosea. One or the other. They seem to be making this stuff up on the hoof. If callded back before July -I shall do my duty. July-they can piss off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

[QUOTE=Bobtheman;113209200

They seem to be making this stuff up on the hoof.QUOTE]

I believe there's a strong element of that - just an inability to not comment is a problem. It is the second successive week that a Sunday newspaper has led with a 'schools opening' headline. All coming from loose off the cuff comments, the significance of which the speakers don't get. Like the Minister for Ed announces the deferral of the LC and that LC students will be back in July. Then these two are suddenly talking about LCs back in May. Definitely making it up as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

C__MC wrote: »
    The actual thoughts of trying to remotely teach third years tomorrow

Third years are already in summer holidays not a chance they will log onto classes tomorrow. Probably already set up their Fortnite matches when your class is on!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rosita wrote: »
    Simon Harris has said that exam classes will be the priority so not sure that senior infants will be top of the list in the short term.

I was obviously referring to primary schools, and not exam classes. If you read other reports of his statements, they are clearly considering LC students, and the rest of schools to be 2 separate items.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/back-to-school-partial-reopening-to-be-examined-by-health-authorities-simon-harris-1.4232636?mode=amp

From that, they are referring to primary schools as reopening a day a week, secondary schools are basically now considered shut, except for LC students who will be considered as a separate issue.

That rte article is light on details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

So, 121,000 students to do the LC next year?
    At the same time?

And no graduates in 4 years time?

Completely and utterly unworkable.

There would still be plenty of graduates from previous years for employers to choose.

One year without graduates won't cause the proverbial sky to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Standing in the queue at aldi listening to two parents chatting about how wonderful it is that the junior cert is cancelled and they can just move on. I butted in to point out that they have to do the exam in September. Cue some very confused parents who never read past the headlines..

But it'll be a scaled-down Junior Cert, won't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Scaled down how?
    In that the exams are now supposed to be marked by classroom teachers?
    Same Number of exams and same exams as set by the SEC is what’s being postulated.

As for your comment about no Graduates in 4 years?
    Don’t agree.

121,000 LC candidates exams to be marked next summer?
    Seriously?

They’re sending us the printed exam papers and marking schemes. The only ‘scaling down’ is that we’ll have to mark it so they won’t certify them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There would still be plenty of graduates from previous years for employers to choose.

One year without graduates won't cause the proverbial sky to fall.

Are you sure about that? No teachers, doctors, nurses, engineers, accountants, childcare workers, software developers graduating for one year???

Let's assume that happened where will companies hire from? Abroad?

And where exactly do you propose third level colleges put all these extra students? That's assuming they take double the numbers on every course. Which they can't because they don't have enough room in their lecture halls and labs for that.

And where would colleges get their funding for this year if they didn't have a first year intake?

In some places like Dublin landlords won't care if they get students to fill their houses or not. Plenty of people looking for accommodation in Dublin. They'll be able to rent their properties one way or another. How do you think college accommodation is going to work out the following year when double the number of students are looking for accommodation and properties have gone back into the general public rental market and are now unavailable to students? Or colleges that have campus accommodation specifically for first years. With double the numbers they wouldn't be able to accommodate them all.

And where would schools fit an extra year group in their school? There is already a shortage of teachers in some subject areas.

Many parents already make the choice to start their child in primary school at 5 instead of 4. To keep approximately 60,000 children out of the primary school system means they would start school at 6. Where would all of these children go? An extra year in creche? Where are all the places going to come from? Where are all the extra childcare workers going to come from for an extra 60,000 children. Granted not every child under 5 goes to creche/childminder, but a large cohort do.

Completely ridiculous suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

They’re sending us the printed exam papers and marking schemes. The only ‘scaling down’ is that we’ll have to mark it so they won’t certify them

No we won't!!

I know you were replying to the other poster but that JC is a red line issue and we have to refuse it point blank. And refuse to even touch those papers!! And stop saying we'll be doing them, even facetiously. Mocking is catching.:eek:

I also completely agree that it's either July or now. If the LCs are somehow back before the year officially ends then that will be our face to face time. Forget July in that case.

It really is a mess and the media speculation is certainly not helping. While the Govt have handled the crisis reasonably well, the DES is still their loose canon and you'd have to be apprehensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No, we've been told we'll have no summer tests for anyone. And we're a real test-y kind of school. We test all the time!

Almost 1am and I'm still scheduling posts so every group will have some work for the morning. Never stayed up this late prepping for normal school!

dory wrote: »
    No, we've been told we'll have no summer tests for anyone. And we're a real test-y kind of school. We test all the time!

Almost 1am and I'm still scheduling posts so every group will have some work for the morning. Never stayed up this late prepping for normal school!

This was why I was so frustrated with the whole ‘take the break’ and refusing to reply to emails etc over Easter. It’s incredibly time consuming, no way could I have left it until this week be. As it was I had Y1 and Y3 maths to record as of Friday. I only finished Sunday morning. That’s the weeks classes scheduled now and means I can be as available as possible during the weeks for responding and correcting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Teachers unions on Sean O'Rourke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

any history teachers recording classes for students. i just email my 5th and 1 st years the powerppoints of notes, get them to do questions, post youtube vids with questions to answer etc. Find there getting on grand , but i would like to maybe explain things better for the first years, a live video would be a disaster as its hard enough to get them sending in work via email. would a recorded class help? would it not be just like a college lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Dickie10 wrote: »
    any history teachers recording classes for students. i just email my 5th and 1 st years the powerppoints of notes, get them to do questions, post youtube vids with questions to answer etc. Find there getting on grand , but i would like to maybe explain things better for the first years, a live video would be a disaster as its hard enough to get them sending in work via email. would a recorded class help? would it not be just like a college lecture?
    As a student i find the recorded classes are a great help, you always have them to look back on if you need help. Live classes a nightmare, most of my teachers that we’re doing them gave up and i dont blame them. Be waiting at least 10 mins for people to join and then people have connectivity issues ect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Lucky with history as there are loads of videos, even just 5-10 mins long, that explain characters, events and are aimed at young learners etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

dory wrote: »

We've been told tests for all years including 3rd years. (obviously not sixth)

Also to be expected to set, correct 3rd year exams in September.

All Eyes On Rafah

Are they your own Youtube videos? How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wow

Teachers unions on Sean O'Rourke now.

Link
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21753012

http://twitter.com/JCforTeachers/status/1252204229357449216

The emails worked
    :D
    We exist and matter a little it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Stacey stout is teaching my junior classes currently. Doing a great job ;)

I am also getting them to do a worksheet on each video, so that they have some sense of what’s going on.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0420/1132527-covid19-coronavirus-ireland/

Into also saying they could partially open primary in June

Why would you set them? SEC are sending us the exams.

Disagree with it obviously but no reason to be setting them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hi, I'm a History teacher and I have been recordong classes for students. I do this by using PowerPoints I would normally use in class and just recording my voice over the slides explaining them as I go along. (You can do this within the PowerPoint programme).

Works well and student feedback is good. I don't do it forevery single class period. I do approx one ppt per group per week and supplement with videos/notes/links to online resources etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

https://www.juniorcyclehistory.ie/ This site is very good for Junior Cycle history too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement