Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We’re testing our third years and we haven’t even cancelled the JC. Tbh as a class teacher I’m fine with that, it give a a focus to them. Parts of it will be self correcting to make my life a little easier

We were told in an email at 345pm last Friday. Our staff meeting this morning was mostly being spoken at because discussion was only via chat. No one spoke against at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ya, so either he's claiming he consulted with everyone but just made the decision himself, or teachers did not get a break over Easter and were getting emails or whatever about this.

It's not a school I would ever work in, not just based on this.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Aren’t they the school that don’t have textbooks? Every teacher is expected to produce their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

doc_17 wrote: »
    That’s exactly what I was thinking. Aren’t they the school that don’t have textbooks? Every teacher is expected to produce their own?

Yes indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

http://colaistebhailechlair.com/Content/2020/4/Junior_Cert_CBC_2020.pdf

I have to say that their approach seems reasonable enough, with a nice list of justifications.

Test the students now while it's fresh. Let them enjoy the break.

No point in flogging a dead horse in September.

If they aren't happy with their grade they can use on of the SEC's papers but they must have engaged with the Summer exams (what student is going to want to do another exam? ).

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The flip flopping by the Government over school openings has made me even more cynical-if that was possible. Noticeable How Mchugh has stayed out of it. Wise decision. Shame he is proably for the chop. He was proably the best minister we have had in the last ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Bobtheman wrote: »
    The flip flopping by the Government over school openings has made me even more cynical-if that was possible. Noticeable How Mchugh has stayed out of it. Wise decision. Shame he is proably for the chop. He was proably the best minister we have had in the last ten years.

I think the flip flopping is really down to Simon Harris not being able to stop talking. He had no need to comment on schools or pubs for that matter. He's as guilty of speculation as anyone on the Internet in doing so.

Varadker would have been annoyed yesterday to have to field all the ensuing questions as a result. Now Varadker will realise how it was for Enda Kenny when Varadker himself embarked on this 'straight talker' phase years ago and half of Kenny's public engagements became about dealing with some loose comment Varadker had made. Harris is becoming a little too folksy for his own good when a microphone is stuck in front of him.

Likewise coming to the defence of an Irish Times columnist on twitter and thanking her for 'starting the conversation' is hardly in his job description. This isn't a student debate.

When the dust settles on all of this we have two choices- no more private/public division in healthcare or we go back to the same **** system. The shine will be off Harris then.
    I made contact with a consultant I have to see-150 a pop for twenty minutes.Usually.He offered me a phone consultation for the exact same price. Im so glad for awhile there I was worried about the fees he has to pay for private schooling. Anythng I can do to help.

Just while we are talking about healthcare
    If we return before end of May which is VERY likely for LCerts having talked to a few principals ......I assume we will then be categorized as essential frontline workers too ........I won’t expect the nations applause but I wonder will childcare be made available as they seem to have finally sorted it for healthcare workers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

km79 wrote: »
    I wonder will childcare be made available as they seem to have finally sorted it for healthcare workers ?

What childcare has been organised for health care workers?

What childcare has been organised for health care workers?

I thought it was sorted over the weekend ?
    Maybe I misheard
    My head is all over the place :D

Still “being considered “
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1132779/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

I dont think it's a given about schools opening. Very interesting to see head of JMB pointing out that social distancing wont work in schools or on the buses, in The Independent today. Maybe the penny has finally dropped with them!

Childcare was due to be sorted “by the end of the last” for the last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

If we return before end of May which is VERY likely for LCerts having talked to a few principals ....

Not sure Principals are best placed to be making such judgements. Presumably such a decision will be based on public health advice a few weeks down the road. Not sure how Principals have enough insight to say it "very likely". Any idea of their sources?

If they tell us to come back there will be serious questions to answer. What PPE have you got for us? What about childcare?

All those principals that were making PPE for hospitals and such could be sorry they were giving it away!

Until Childcare is provided I aint going nowhere. And it has to be suitable. If that means Im marked absent so be it.

Plus I see a lot of teachers dropping out of July if we are back in May. Me included

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Treppen wrote: »

Nothing new there.

So school exams in May it is then !!... And that's what FEMPI is going to insist on going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Rosita wrote: »
    Not sure Principals are best placed to be making such judgements. Presumably such a decision will be based on public health advice a few weeks down the road. Not sure how Principals have enough insight to say it "very likely". Any idea of their sources?

Principals don't know anything about when we are back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Bobtheman wrote: »

McHugh has been the best Minister for a long time because he has basically done absolutely nothing. He has caused no major damage and that's better than his predecessors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

McHugh has been the best Minister for a long time because he has basically done absolutely nothing. He has caused no major damage and that's better than his predecessors.

He perfectly illustrated the total lack of joined up thinking between the NCCA and the Department of Education wonderfully. He also demonstrated to the public that a minister can do what they like on a whim.

He was woeful. Serious issues within the NCCA never saw the light of day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That article doesn’t say anything new. The state certified exam was always cancelled. The article still says

The marking scheme devised by the SEC for the Junior Certificate papers will also be made available to schools, however schools themselves are free to decide how the papers might be marked, and by whom.

It does not say we (yet) that we can chose not to actually give them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Rosita wrote: »

Well, the management body JMB does not seem very confident about a return as seen in The Independent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

On a side note, with FG looking likely to be in next govt does that mean mchugh will stay on as minister for education?

Edit: Ignore, only seen the thread about it now.

Shn99 wrote: »
    Mass gathering is 5000+ people, wont have an effect on plans for LC at the moment

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1252625294336438272
    Govt sources are said to be pessimistic about small indoor gathering
    There are nearly 200 Leaving certs in our school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1252625294336438272
    Govt sources are said to be pessimistic about small indoor gathering
    There are nearly 200 Leaving certs in our school

They'd be spread out though, unlike a wedding or similar event

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0421/1132983-leaving-cert-possible-date/

A live instagram chat
    Give me strength
    Himself and Harris are pure try hards. "down with the kids"
    Do your bloody job

• Advertisement

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0421/1132983-leaving-cert-possible-date/

A live instagram chat
    Give me strength
    Himself and Harris are pure try hards. "down with the kids"
    Do your bloody job

Watched the full thing, 18 questions and he gave half baked answers with no substance. Going by the comments all the fellow students were raging with him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement